Home Audio Tuning

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1744
OK...well I picked up four of those 8" eD and I think I want to test them out in a home audio application. What would you suggest tuning to, and how many cuft? I know it's low hz for home, but with 8s, I don't know how low I can go. Thanks guys, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Ben

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

HEMIKLR

Post Number: 9075
Do you plan on putting all four in the same box?

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1745
I don't really know the plan right now, but for the sake of running them at 4-ohms, I am going to say yes.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

HEMIKLR

Post Number: 9076
I would do something like 2.5cuft @ 25hz.

Gold Member
Username: Tremor1127

Fi

Post Number: 2443
for all 4?

those confuse me.

i bought 4 of them but it says like 1.5 per sub ported, for car.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1746
Yeah I'm with you Tremor. The space they say they require seems ridiculous. I would be happy to give them 2.5cuft, but I don't know about 5cuft like they suggest. Anyone else have an opinion?

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1748
Bump

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 11159
If it's too big just undersize the box and add damping to compensate.

There's always some play allowed in enclosure size so unless you're a fanatic don't lose sleep over it. I'd shoot for mid to upper 20hz and use the 1.65/sub box size. If it's too big reduce and compensate accordingly. Sean provided a good link showing you just that however I can't get it to work for me anymore so here's another link:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/talkshop/messages/41415.htm

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 7197
Thanks paul I was lookin for a link to that site that worked..I needed it for the l5 kicker post

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1749
So Paul, you're saying 1.65cuft each sub? For an 8"??

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11166
Ben, I suggested it cause that's what they told me.

Overview: The EHQS Development
division was founded as a development sector of the company to serve large and medium sized companies. The EHQS 8 is a very efficient low cost alternative to many name brand products selling for much more. For Car, Home, and
various DIY projects it's the perfect 'test speaker' for just about any enthusiast.
Power Handing
: 100w
Available Voice Coils : Single 2 & Single 4
Sealed Box Size : .75-1.00cF
Vented Box Size : 1.25-1.65cF
Qts: .48
Qes: .64
Qms: 7.50
Fs: 32
Re: 4.1
Vas: 40 L
Bl: 6.8 T*m
SPL: 84.95 dB
Sd: 220 cm^2
Xmax: 6.00 mm
Voice Coil : 25 mm

That's what I'm going off of.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1752
Wow...okay thanks. Now I have to work on a design. How did you go about doing your design?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11167
Lol. My design used 1 18" sub. Yours will differ slightly lololol. Think about final placement and room acoustics. Where are you placing it? Against a wall, in a corner, middle of the room? I built mine as a down firing design because of the possibility of changing its' position within my room. Bass is nondirectional but room acoustics isn't. If you have hardwood floors, 12' high ceilings, 8' X 8' room ect...all have an impact.

I designed my sub to kick the sh!t out of my entire house and sound good doing it. If I was still married I probably wouldn't even be an Ecoustic's member, let alone owning a HT sub like I have. Some $$, beer, and alot of extra time has its' way on ex bassheads in their 30's lol.

Gold Member

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1754
Alright, thanks Paul

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Illinois United States

Post Number: 433
I thinks its crazy how 4 of these 8 inchers require more volume than some 15's!!! Maybe Ill make a box out of cardboard to experiment instead of wasting wood. I know it says 1.65 cf, but I would have to see it to believe it (im not in complete doubt, it just blows my mind). I ordered 4 as well, so I think this will be a fun winter project.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us