I fu<king hate my amp

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1874
I have a massive P3000.1

Everytime i turn it loud it kinda skips like its not getting enough current. at low volumes its fine but when i turn it up it like stops playing for a split second and makes my sub make an unplesent noise. I know its not the sub becuase it did the same thing when it was wired to my Sd2.5's. Its deffinitly getting enough current cuz its wired with 0/1 and it used to be hooked up to my sd2.5s at 4ohms with gain down (no more then 1500rms) and it still did it. Now its wired at 2ohms getting its full amount of power and it still does it at high volumes.

Also it must be getting enough current. heres an example.:
My stereo goes up to 50 i dont turn it past 35. I can play the song BME Click (lots of bass but its all one note for the most part but it deffinitly uses a lot of current) when i play BME Click i can turn it up to about 32 before the amp turns g@y and doesnt work right and skips and sh!t.
When i pay other songs like Ultimate Victory by Chamillionare for example it has a lot less bass but its a different kind of bass. It hits then stops, kind of hard hitting bass so most likly less current draw then when i play BME Click but when i play it (Ultimate Vicotry and a lot of other songs) i can only turn my HU to 23 before the amp starts doing its g@y thing.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what this is from. I was thinking basicly the amp is a peace of sh!t and i need to buy a new one but i dont have the money to do so at the moment so im just seeing if anyone has any ideas i can try to fix it with. Thanks.

O and BTW why cant you say g@y on here. its just a sexu@l preference. You cant say sexu@l either but you can say sex. strange. you can also say fucked. thats fucked up

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4098
i'll buy the amp from you :-)

how much ya want?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1875
well you see if i sell it ive got nothing to power my sub with. ide sell for 300 shipped if i had a new amp. why you know whats wrong with it...or what you want it for?

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4099
i'd want it for my XXX 15" ..

the amp is fine thats why i'd buy it lol.. your charging system is not enough for that amp.. the current draw is too much..

if you really want to sell it hit me up on aim/yahoo FrkKevin..

i've got cash in hand :-) .. i'd help you find a replacement amp pending power you need

Gold Member

Post Number: 1876
ok i would sell it for a new amp. but befor that...

i have a 220amp alt and a kinetic HC2400. Also id did this g@y thing its doing when i had it wired for a 4ohm load with gains set for 1500rms.

i had this amp hooked up to my sd2.5s for a wile befor i got my 9515. My old amp was Earthquake PH20000w/D1.1 (1000rms) it worked fine and was wired with 4gauge on my stock 105amp alt. This amp was on my sd2.5's wired at 4ohms using 0/1 wire on my new HO 220amp alt. gains set so i was getting less then 1500rms. The sd2.5's were louder on my earthquake with my stock alt. also songs that use more current like BME click but have steady notes work better then songs that have faster harder hiting notes that use less current.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 815
i find with fast hard hitting notes, i have bigger voltage drops. my meter goes all over the place if its real loud. then i turn it down. thats just me tho.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1877
i never get voltage drops below 13volts

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 818
me ither. only when its fast hard hitting notes, like this one song on young jeezys USDA cd

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Tofino, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 868
Throw a multimeter on ONE of your RCA's, and keep the other one plugged in to the amp?

Check for voltage spikes/drops.

If thats fine then I would say you're right, bad power supply or its being choked by something...

Find a friend, swap amps.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6651
Snarl2004, have you checked your gain/level setting on the amp? It sounds like it's not properly set. If you overload any amp, it'll behave in a similar manner.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1878
ive set up may amps for friends and never had this problem. i have owned 3 amps this is my 3rd again i have never had this problem. i haev had this amp on my sd2.5's and same problem. i set the gain with a dmm. all settings on amp and hu are fine. like i said ive set up probly 10 amps. the amp is rated for 3000rms but ive only got the gain set for 2600rms and it still does it.

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 477
do u notice any engine lag?
perhaps ur alts going bad..
does it happen when ur sitting idle or all the time?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5901
"Its deffinitly getting enough current cuz its wired with 0/1 and it used to be hooked up to my sd2.5s at 4ohms with gain down (no more then 1500rms) and it still did it. Now its wired at 2ohms getting its full amount of power and it still does it at high volumes."

If you were using a high output alternator and this was happening I'd say something is wrong with the amp because you had it at 4 ohms too so if it was putting out 1.5k rms it really shouldn't have any problems with a good charging system.

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 145.2 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 373
i sell you a pg xenon 1200.1 250 shipped

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6655
Try this for a change. Look at your gain/level setting and find the min and max. Then visually set it according to your HU's voltage. Test it. If the problem repeats, raise the gain/level slightly to a higher voltage. Then test again till it functions well. Sometimes, when you try to be too accurate with DMM, it may not work well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1882
"do u notice any engine lag?"

no

"perhaps ur alts going bad.."

brand new voltage is fine

"does it happen when ur sitting idle or all the time?"

all the time

"If you were using a high output alternator and this was happening I'd say something is wrong with the amp because you had it at 4 ohms too so if it was putting out 1.5k rms it really shouldn't have any problems with a good charging system."

i completly agree

"Try this for a change. Look at your gain/level setting and find the min and max. Then visually set it according to your HU's voltage. Test it. If the problem repeats, raise the gain/level slightly to a higher voltage. Then test again till it functions well. Sometimes, when you try to be too accurate with DMM, it may not work well."

have tryed and nothing better happens

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Fully loaded 18 BTL

Post Number: 266
how big is the wire your running from ur bat to ur amp? when u turn the amp up does ur power wire get really hot?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1883
"how big is the wire your running from ur bat to ur amp?"

0 gauge

"when u turn the amp up does ur power wire get really hot?"

no

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4134
Snarl, where is the amp mounted? Thermal protection could cause the symptoms you're describing, if the amp is getting too hot and shuts off for a brief moment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1884
its mounted on the floor. plenty of circulation. it does it from the second i turn it on if i turn it up as soon as i turn the truck on. it also does it in the winter when its like 30 degrees.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4140
Well after re-reading your first post, there's nothing else I can think of other than the amp itself being the problem.

Sorry man

Gold Member

Post Number: 1885
lol thanks for your ideas though

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

3 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 776
Redo your ground? Do you have a big 3?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1886
"Redo your ground?"

the ground im curently using has been used on 3 previous amps. also i tryed scraping it even more just incase but it didnt help

"Do you have a big 3?"

ya
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us