What do u guys recommend?

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 766
so i got the hdc315 now im lookin for a box probably have one made from here http://www.woodlawncabinetry.com/ and i live in PA too i can just drive to Willow Grove where he's located. but dont know anything about boxes but i like deep low bass SPL. what specs do u guys recommend? i was think mayb 3.0cubic ft tuned @35hz?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Turtles have four legs

Post Number: 3420
4cuft tuned to 40hz, unless aq says you can tune lower.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 768
i think Aq said 38hz on the site it said FS n next to it 38.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5859
"boxes but i like deep low bass SPL. what specs do u guys recommend? i was think mayb 3.0cubic ft tuned @35hz?"

It's kind of hard to obtain SPL when playing lower frequencies.If I were you I'd go by the lowest tuning Audioque says,why don't you E-mail DJ and see what he says?He should be able to give you some solid advice.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2850
i think 35 you can get away with.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 770
last time i emailed him how i should wire my sub for my amp n he said parallel which is wrong because i have to wire it series to get 2ohms for my amp

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 771
ok so i emailed DJ and this is what he says:

"I would tune at 37-40 if it were me. Allow 14-16 sq"'s of port area per net cubic foot of box"

what does the last part of that mean? like 4cubic ft or sumthinG?

Silver Member
Username: Phil_salisbury

Post Number: 387
Chris,

I shot ya back on the e-mail ya sent me and pretty much said what I had to say given what ya want in term of bass response.

Truth of the matter is that if you want the lows, ya gotta tune lower than 35hz, but, as I also said in the e-mail, in order to do so, you have to come up in the volume.

But, when ya tune lower ya gotta give up alittle on the output side, but, that doesn't mean you won't have decently good output.

Bronze Member
Username: Djl

Post Number: 93
Phil you build great boxes but our subs like a little higher tuned boxes.Chris will get the most out of the sub if he keeps above 35Hz. Four cubes net with 16 sq inches of port area per net cube (64 sq inches of port area) is ideal.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2676
i recommended 3.5 tuned to 35 (since he wants to hit lows) and 50-60 sq inches of port

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
DJ,

I'm only going by what he stated and wanted for the design within the limitation he set as to the size of the enclosure he referred to on some ebay site.

Now, for what the sub is and power and this d@mn standard set at " 12 to 16" sq.in. of port area per cu.ft. " the design I stated falls well within that " norm ".

And with the port area I stated for the design provided the vent mach is well below threshold and that's what I did.

Now, however, if he wants what you have stated means a larger enclosure to support it and I got no problems at all in that regard.

BUT, now were playing the " This is what I will pay and not a penny more " ok, I don't have a problem with that either, BUT, i'm not going to get nickeled and dime'd just to make a buck.

I gave a quote and that's it, he's free to spend his money else where it he doesn't like what I'm providing, but, I'll be d@mn if I'm going to act like a used car salesman to make a sale, I got bills to pay like everyone else, some more than others.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2678
lol something tells me dj doesnt care about anything but the first 3 paragraphs. HAHAHAH

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
Well, then I'll make it simple.

Whomever is playing " I can build it for less game then what Woodlawn is quoting for the enclosure, then have at it ".

Bronze Member
Username: Djl

Post Number: 95
Phil my one and only concern is with the box tuning. You did state "if you want the lows you gotta tune lower than 35 Hz".

I am quite sure your box designs and construction methods are very well designed for any given box tuning frequencies desired by your customers. I have praised your work with many of our endusers. I am sure both you and I have the customer's satisfaction with their system as a primary business goal.

Our subs are designed to play below box tuning without unloading and the lower bass notes (frequencies in most bass tunes) will not be a problem . Box tuning requirements are published on our site. With boxes tuned below 36Hz the HDC3 series, as with all our subs, will suffer a little upper bass extension. The first person an enduser complains to when unhappy with the way his system sounds is the sub builder not the box builder.

Silver Member

Post Number: 391
DJ,

It has always been my experience that the end user often more than not expects to much from any subwoofer regardless of whether it's in recommended spec'd enclosure or a custom designed specific application enclosure.

Yes, you are correct, the end user usually will say one of two things:

The subwoofer sucks or the enclosure sucks and god forbid it can't the system settings or the vehicle cabin gain that effects the overall performance.

I am well aware of the losses associated with the design and anyone that alludes themselves into thinking they can have the best of both worlds are only fooling themselves.

Everyone thinks and expects you the manufacturer to have a product that perform like suzie cream cheese and to that effect the design of the enclosure should augment in in a like manner.

Your no more a miracle worker that produces flawless end product than I am a designer/fabricator genius that delivers a " perfect " sub box, but, this is what is expected and as stated, we try to deliver on that customer satisfaction.

I don't allude myself to know what works everytime and if I did I'd be one smart not to mentioned profitable person.

The only thing I can go with from a business point of view is to be truthful and honest in dealing with the customer that if they don't set their expectations high, they maybe and usually are pleasantly surprised with the end result after they install everything and hear it.

I'm not out to become the King of Hill, I just want to give the customer what they want based on the experience 12 years has given and taught me to apply it as best I can and they shouldn't expect any more than that the best you can offer as well.

And in all sincerity any endorsements I receive is not only due to my enclosures, but the subwoofer that's used in it as well because one is only as good as the other.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us