Blowing Subs

Bronze Member
Username: Billiard

Post Number: 12
I just bought a RF p4002 amp. It puts out 400 watts it says and i had it originaly hooked up to a pioneer sub which kept thowing the amp into protection mode bc it was blown i believe. Anyway i swapped the pioneer sub out and replaced it with a sony xplod 12 in model number XS-L120P5W which is supposed to have a peak power of 1200w. When i hooked the sub up to the amp it sounded great and thumped hard for about 2 songs and then my subs blew it burnt the copper wire around the coil and melted it into the magnet. Now i dont understand how the amp that has a max output of 400w totally fried the sub that should be able to handle up to 1200 watts.

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Murray, KY

Post Number: 306
because you are looking at max ratings which dont mean much at all....Look at the RMS ratings. Also check the ohm load

Silver Member
Username: 20la20

Franklin, TN U.S.

Post Number: 188
and dont buy sony! lol

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5709
"When i hooked the sub up to the amp it sounded great and thumped hard for about 2 songs and then my subs blew it burnt the copper wire around the coil and melted it into the magnet. Now i dont understand how the amp that has a max output of 400w totally fried the sub that should be able to handle up to 1200 watts."

More than likely you didn't set your gains properly.How exactly did you set your gains?

Bronze Member
Username: Billiard

Post Number: 13
the gain was up about half way and the freq was at about quarter. I know sonys arent that good i just figured they would work until i bought a new sub. the sub is 4 ohm and i had it hooked up bridged. Do you thinki can hook my other sony, same one, up if i turn the gain down and the bass of in the radio without having it blow?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5711
Well...you really need to learn how to set your gain before you damage or blow another sub.Turn it up a quarter or half or 3/4 of the way doesn't tell us anything.You need to get yourself a digital multi meter and run a 50hz test tone through your amp and set it within your amps proper level of rated power output(Assuming it does rated power).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us