Two amp intstallion help

Username: Teez8429

Post Number: 1
hi i have two amps(800w 2ch and 2200 mono) i want to power my set of 6x9's and a 12" dvc 1200w sub.

i need help with the wiring and some adivce.
i want to have both amps connected to two separate swtiches so when i start the car the amps are off and switch on the amps when the car is running, which wires do u connect these switches two and how do i run the power cable from the battery to each amp do i need two sets from the battery or can i run one cable and split it to each amp....the other thing is by having two amps will this affect my alternator in any way, my car is a 91 toyota corolla twincam. thanx for help

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5710
Well in order to run 2 amplifiers off of one power wire you'll need a distribution block or you'll have to tape 2 wires onto the end of the main wire coming from your battery(Ghetto method(not recommended)).If you want to switch the amps on and off just install switches onto the remote wires of the amplifiers and then you can turn them on and off as you please.If you're running a total of 3,000 watts your alternator if it's stock,will not be able to handle that much.The power ratings you gave were probably MAX ratings and we'd need to know the RMS ratings of the amps to have any clue if you could run that on a stock alternator but I don't think you should or can having a 91 corolla.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3906
Yeah what amps are they. Somehow I doubt those are true RMS power ratings. And if they are, your alternator ain't gonna take that.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6616
"i start the car the amps are off and switch on the amps when the car is running".

Use the ignition wire as the trigger. Hook up the amp's remote wire to it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5716
I think he wants an actual switch such as a toggle switch installed in the line.

Username: Teez8429

Post Number: 2
firstly....WOW im kinda new to these forums and didnt expect such a good response so thanks for that...

the 2200 amp is about 500watts RMS and the 800 amp im not sure ill guess its not more than 150RMS

would it better to jus scrap the two amps and have one 4ch amp, 2ch to the 6x9's and bridge the other two to the sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 5722
Well if you already have the amps they'll work and from the RMS ratings that you just gave it should work on your stock charging system.Just order up either 2 distribution blocks(One for positives of the amps and one for negatives) or get one distribution block for the positives and ground the amps to the chassis seperately.Do you already have your wiring?If you don't a 4 gauge kit should work fine for you.Check out www.knukonceptz.com if you don't have the accessories yet.They have great wire and their distribution blocks are good but I wouldn't get their battery terminals unless they changed their design from the original ones they made...which didn't even clamp down enough onto the battery terminals and just slid right off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us