How do i determine what components are better

Username: Audio_jason

Post Number: 3
How can I tell what components are better if I have never heard them? What specs are most important? I have a decent size budget and want something that is very clean and clear. I hear people talk about cdt's and focal's but there are about a hundred different models for 6.5" components. Help please!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3894
The only way to know what sounds best to you is to hear it. Otherwise you just have to go by other people's opinions.

With CDT, the HD series are the good ones. With Focal, their high end comps are very good.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3895
BTW Jason where are you from. It's a long shot be the reason I ask, I live on a road called Dietz Mill Road.

Post Number: 7
I'm originally from Philly, moved to TN, went to college in MD, now live back in suburbs of memphis tn. thanks for the info. I have read many of your posts on here before I ever posted myself. You seem to know what your talking about so...in your opinion if you had around $2k to put into a 2001 eclipse gt and all you had was a jbl 10" gti and 2 brand new xtant x604, x1001. What would you finish off the rest of your system with. Hu, comp, 6x9's, etc. I would like to spend as least as possible while still obtaining a very high quality system. Thanks for your input.

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 1028
Check the "Need help with Xtant amps" thread. I posted a bunch of tuning stuff, with some alternator companies.

Post Number: 9
jbl components worth a darn?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3898
Well what do ya know, I'm originally from about 30 miles north of philly.......... maybe your family used to have a mill up here

About the system,

For the HU look into JVC, Eclipse, Alpine, and Clarion.

Your sub and amps are good quality.

I would bridge that x604 amp to 2 channels and power a set of CDT HD-6 with it (assuming they fit). But that's just me, if you can listen to high end speakers for yourself, do so.

Post Number: 10
Why would I bridge it and not use it to power all 4 speakers? Wouldn't the 6x9's need power also if the components are getting all that power?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5712
The reason you'd only use 2 speakers is to obtain better sound quality out of the overall system.The substage pretty much cancels out your rear speakers and makes for a muddy sound when you try to run rear fill.Oh and I think he recommended bridging because those speakers(HD62s) can hanle a ton of power,I believe they're rated at 175watts RMS.I'm too lazy to do a google search but I'm running the HD62 M6s from CDT.Pretty nice sounding drivers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
So does that mean I don't even put any 6x9's in at all? Or just don't run an amp to them? So just components up front and a sub is sufficient?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5724
"I believe they're rated at 175watts RMS." Well the HD 62 M6s are rated for 250 watts RMS,crazy power.You don't need rear fill in that car.Some people find that it ruins the sound quality or imaging also,it can cause a muddy sound because the bass of the 6x9s is mixing with the sub stage.You can always try it out either way and see what you like and go from there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well if I don't have to buy any speakers for the back 2 seats I can afford to spend more on my components in which case I would like to get some really high end one's. Any suggestions? Any good online places sell the cdt hd 62 m6's that you speak of?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Also when you say the "HD62 M6s from CDT.Pretty nice sounding drivers." are you also implying the tweeters are not so great? If so what tweeters would you match with the m6 drivers? I want the best quality I can get for my components. Also they have to be able to be run off of an x604. I won't be getting any more amps so that has to power it. Thanks for all the good advice so far all. Much appreciated!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5743
Well...they offer options with most CDT component systems.The CDT HD 62 M6s run about 600 dollars online and there aren't too many places that sell them but they usually offer the choice of a silk or titanium tweeter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
The cdt es line is better from what i'm reading, but there are so many different models I have no clue how to narrow them down. Has anybody ever used the cdt es components and have any comments/recommendations on which model to get. If I get the 3 way set how do I run the amp to so many different channels? mid-woofer,midrange,tweeters. It looks like in the pic you get 4 tweeters. I think i'm getting more lost the more I research. HELP!

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3929
HD > ES

HD are the high end ones. As rob said, you don't need rear speakers, it subtracts from the sound of your comp. speakers. You only need a 2 channel amp to power component speakers, the mids and tweeters are all wired to an included crossover.

The HD-62s would be great. With that you get 2 mids and 2 tweeters.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3931
Oh and $600 is ridiculous for those. If you decide to go with CDT, go to the speaker section of this forum and contact alteraudiousa. He sells them for under $400.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5746
"The CDT HD 62 M6s run about 600 dollars online "

"Oh and $600 is ridiculous for those. If you decide to go with CDT, go to the speaker section of this forum and contact alteraudiousa. He sells them for under $400."

Nah,he charges more than that for the HD 62 M6s.I contacted him about it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5747
http://www.mainstreet-audio.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code= HD-62_M6&Category_Code=HD_SERIES

I just ran a google search and that's all I could find.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3949
Oh, I meant the regular HD-62

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
The hd are better then the es??? the cdt website says otherwise. Are you sure?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Okay forget the es question. Back to the hd's. If i get the hd-642 which is the 3 way comp's it doesn't come with the m6 driver. Does that mean I need to upgrade it to the m6 driver or is the one it comes with just as good/better??? I am looking at it on the cdt website and it sells for $749.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us