Dead sub right?

Username: Stratfellow3

Post Number: 10
Okay so my bass setup is an Alpine M450 amp @2ohms from an Alpine 12" Type-R. Yesterday I heard a kind of pop sound during play and then now it seems like my sub only plays its lower range with any volume.

So I pulled the speaker wires from amp to back of box out and put a DMM to the back of box and it's reading 9.5ohms and I also noticed when a jostled box while reading ohms its fluctuated all over but then came to rest back at 9.5ohms after box isnt being jostled.

So Im guessing this 9.5ohm reading when the dual voice coils are wired to give 2ohms to amp means my sub is blown right?

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1089
Maybe a loose wire inside the box? Take the sub out of the box and test the sub itself.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3084
^^^ x2. Get a battery, doesnt matter which kind, C, D, AAA, 9 volt... and do a test by hooking up wires to your sub and then holding the neg side to the battery and then touching the pos.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 718
^^^thought that was just to make sure the coils were not wired out of phase

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Okay so that was correct the positive terminal in the box was loose and upon close inspection the heatshrink type insulation on the connector had bubbles in it like it probably had gotten overheated due to that loose connection.

So it does sound quite a bit better but still in certain songs I can tell its not the same.

Such as "Stay Fly" the more big boomy holding bass notes during the song dont seem like they are hitting and holding the same

Is it possible with that loose positive connection that it messed up the sub and partially took out what seems to be its upper freqs?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5702
"Such as "Stay Fly" the more big boomy holding bass notes during the song"

It's alright man,that song doesn't have a good bass line and doesn't hit hard anyways.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4055
"It's alright man,that song doesn't have a good bass line and doesn't hit hard anyways."

I think this forum is known as Ecoustics not E-opinions.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5707
"I think this forum is known as Ecoustics not E-opinions."

Good one douche bag.There is nowhere in an agreement when registering that says every post I make has to be factual,thanks d1ckhead. :-) I'll remember this post of yours when you try to recommend something to someone, dumb a ss.Make sure to only post 100% true facts from this point on since you're criticizing my opinion.All of us on Ecoustics give opinions so shut the f uck up,thank you sir.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well opinions on that song arent necessary I'm just telling you that the boomier part in that song and not the separate bass notes dont seem the same, but i guess the best way would be to hook the lappy up and start playing different frequencies and see if any are overly quiet

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1462
"I think this forum is known as Ecoustics not E-opinions."

HAHAHAHAHAHA LMFAO
dayum calm down Kevin you too Rob lol

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4056
My bad, just tired of seeing most of Robs posts being either putting someone down, negative criticizing, or something simply to post. This is a key example of what caused ecoustics to become what it is. Not a single person but multiple people doing so.

What you said was more than an opinion and was used to make him feel ignorant. Most of your posts seem to do that to people. And by the way, that post by me was simple because I am tired of you thread dumping in mine. I'm sure many other people can agree with me. You know your stuff yet would rather post something stupid rather than help. Thanks again Rob :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us