Car subs for HT????

Bronze Member
Username: Josh85

Gordon, PA

Post Number: 26
Ok somebody explain this to me. Why are more and more people doing this? I asked over in home audio awhile back and they say you guys are retarded. Most said it lacks "class" and that it doesn't show a true love for music.

What's everyone using at home and throw out remarks please. I might try it. Is it worth it or am I risking looking "ghetto"?

Thank you kindly, Josh.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 7115
because car subs are less expensive than those high ends home theater subwoofers... they are for audiophiles.. and the car subwoofers is something to fill up the free space without spending too much and still show the love you have for car audio.

Bronze Member

Gordon, PA

Post Number: 29
" and the car subwoofers is something to fill up the free space without spending too much and still show the love you have for car audio."

Sorry I don't follow that.

Can you really tell the difference between home audio and car audio? If all we're talking about is the low end of the frequency band why all the hype about SQ from the "audiophiles"?????

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 7117
dont follow that??? excuse me...josh....

follow this then...Upload

Bronze Member

Gordon, PA

Post Number: 31
^^^Is that a pic of different size subs in the same box?

I read that wuz a bad thing to do.

Bronze Member

Gordon, PA

Post Number: 33
Can people please post pics and suggestions on doing this? I want to try this but don't know where to start. Can I power a sub using my receiver or am I going to have to buy something? Also, aren't car subs for 12v systems? How are you guys doing this on 110v????

I really haven't a clue in car audio.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1839
theres plate amps what put out rms at 14volts it jsut converts the power

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 832
Can I power a sub using my receiver or am I going to have to buy something?

Yes, but most recievers only put out 60-120 watts, meaning your not gonna see much out of it. I used to use a power amp to power subs in the house, sounded great I loved the low end out of them.

The value of car audio subwoofers is SO much better than home audio. Mostly because buying home audio your also buying box material, finish, and usually an amplifier built it, basically an all-in-one package.

As for the voltage question, formula for a watt is: P(watts) = V(volts) x I(current, amperes)

In both home audio and car audio, a watt is just that, a watt. Between the Power formula and Ohm's law (V(voltage) = I(current) x R(resistance) you can prove that its the exact same for HA and CA.

Different input, exact same output.

ex. a 1000 watt car amplifier hooked up to a 1 ohm subwoofer.

V(measured with multimeter)=IR
31.63=1I
I=31.63

P=IV
1000=31.63(31.63)

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 1011
Car amps are for 12V systems. The power you give the car amp is DC, but the power going to the speakers is AC, whether it's a home amplifier or a car amplifier. Paul Larrea will post sometime I'm sure. He used an 18" Fi Q.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 690
Ask Paul, I think he is the most knowledgable about this topic on this forum as of now, could be wrong though. But he will give you the "low down" and give you all the options you can work with when it comes to putting a CA sub in a HT setup

Silver Member
Username: Dakangofkrunk16

Post Number: 948
YEa he is paul.. i believe only has a HT setup, but his work is very nice.. Were u at paul

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10968
JOSH!!!

Glad to see more are interested in this kinda thing. Your decision in using a car sub in HT should swing around your intention. Mostly music or movies? IMO cost has got to be the main reason anyone would choose a car sub. There are so many drivers capable of producing the lows that would please the average listener in the $100-$300 range. All that's left is the enclosure and power. I see more and more manufacturers opening up to the HT capabilities of thier products. Ppl are catching on.

You can be spoon fed all the technical specs a top end HT (or any for that matter) subwoofer will deliver and I can assure you you're head will be spinning. Don't be intimidated, you CAN be impressed with your approach here.

Why did I choose a car sub? Years ago I used to be the one heard a block away in my camaro. Got married, had kids, grew up. STILL had that basshead in me 15 years later. Now I love movies and crave to feel the action. How do I combine the two? Lol.

Now I'm divorced with waaaay too much time on my hands. There's nobody here to say "no". F-ck it! Let's have some fun!! Three HT sub projects later and I'm left with my 18" Q powered by a 1000w Dayton plate amp in a 9cu box tuned to 28hz. Mainly for movies but thumps the beats out in music nicely.

Did I go overboard? You bet your azz I did lol.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/off-topic/340368.html

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3805
A reciever most likely wont have a filter to keep high frequencies out of the sub. You will need an amplifier for it.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10971
Most home receivers today do in fact have a "sub out" line dedicated strictly for HT use. It's intended for the connection to a HT sub. This signal is a non-powered one so it will indeed need to be amplified as M.S. stated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us