Horrible installs and bastardized equipment....

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 1...

Post Number: 5453
Ok...this have been done on other forums, we need one here.

Post pics of horrible installs and bastardized equipment you have run across! Lets fill this thread and keep it going.

I come across something new every week or so...so I will continue to post on this thread to keep it going, and to maintain my sanity.

So...here we go:

A guy came in last week saying his Pioneer HU fried. I asked what happened, he said his buddy installed his amp and after that the radio didn't work. I pull his HU so see if its dead, put it on the test bench and yep...door knob.

I sell him a used Premier and get ready to install. I notice his amp power wire looks funny...check it, yep power, rem, and speaker wires are all shorted. They bolted a seat down on top of the wire. EVERYTHING was blackened. (sorry, not pic)

I replace it and head for the dash...pull it off and find this:

Upload

bout 8ft of RCA's bundled up

Upload
Rca's spliced in NOT 1 but 2 places! Not just splice, but the + and - were twisted together on each side(like speaker wire)...oh and why bother using electrical tape?

Not only did the guy that originally did this fry the owners HU, but he tested the install w/ his HU and smoked it too...

More to come...stay tuned

Gold Member

Post Number: 5454
Some genius bought a pair of MTX 5512's, prebuilt box and a TA5601 (600wrms @2ohm).

He shows up the next day saying, "the subs were loud at first, but last night the amp started messing up!...You sold me some BS man, I now how to install...my boy showed me, he said this stuff blew cause its cheap". I go out to see his install (if you can call it that). Open the trunk, I can already smell em.

EVERY knob on the amp was pegged to the right....LPF, Gain, BB, Light Effects...lol...all of em.

I show him what went wrong, tell him its his fault and we shouldn't warranty the subs/amp but will this time. I take everything in...both subs are gone but the amp is good (amazingly).

Here is what the VC's looked like:

Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload

The tensil leads EXPLODED! (w/ a 600w amp)
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Audiosaab

Potomac, MD

Post Number: 26
just out of curiosity do you have any used premier pioneer cd recievers?

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1345
Canaan nice thread. hope's it keeps on going.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 353
lol i thank when everybody was a noob they tried that kick every knob to the right sheet,till they burn somethang up

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5426
i couldnt stand seeing so much stupidity, but that is funny as hell

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 110
This thread is jokes, you know what my mate had a kicker amp that i installed for him and set it all up nice and everything. about a week later he calls me up and he's like bruv my bass aint working.

I spent like an hour checking all the wiring again and again, then he tells me he was messing with the knobs on the amp, and what du you know, everything is on max and he's shot the amp to sh!t.

poor b**tard, kinda felt sorry for him, he loved the sounds sooo much.

no pics tho, sorry.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5456
More amazement from the shop.

A guy came in awhile back and his HU's wasn't playing. We tested the HU and the internal amp was fried (speaker output) but the RCA's still worked.

There was an old Jensen 55wmax amp in the back of the shop, so one of the guys there gave it too him. (This guy comes in from time to time) They told the guy to just use the amp....to hide it the the dash or something, what way you can at least have your front door speakers. (as we had no use for the lil Jensen)

The guy comes back in alil while later w/ this "stealth" install:

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4020
wow that is a tiny amp :-)

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 4021
.. just noticed the Audio/Video cord.. lol :-)

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1436
i really couldn't stop laughing what a noob

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1918
well technically if that was done correctly ...

it couldve been nice ... i mounted amps in the dash before .... glove box and such

if theres room why not lol

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Ohio

Post Number: 3803
does anyone have pics of the install where the guy litterally made the box out of a tree trunk? i rememeber seeing it a long azz time ago. a horror stroy of mine is when a kid i know hooked his subs up to the rear speaker out, using his rear speaker wires for the subs, so the were litterally running off the HU, haha, i was like WTF when i heared "voices" comeing from his subs bt he was like na these are badazz all you have to do in turn the bass up on the HU to get them to "pound".

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 776
I know someone doing that right now lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
ive seen a cardboard box used to put a sub in,instead of a wood box lmao but it was hooked up to a house stereo

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1828
i installed a amp for a friend of mine. it was old and didnt work right so he jsut bought a brand new amp. i told him i would hook it up for him and he said ok. so today his amp came in and hes other friends are like cmon we dont need to wiat for carl (thats me) we can instal it. so anyway i get a call tongith and they guys like hey can you help me with my amp it wont turn on. i say ok and go to his house.

i get there and the fist thing i notice is the remote turn on lead was in the - spot for the speaker. i like wow. theres one problem. Next on the amp for RCA's it is clearly marked input and output. the right side was in the input and left side was in the output. again im like wow. then i went under the hood and the fuse wasnt in so the amp wasnt getting power....not to mention none of the settings on the amp were right. im like next time give me a call ill do it right the first time.lol

dont have any pics but you can imagine

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3040
Long story short... Guy wanted my to fix an amp last weekend. A Kenwood x401. I open it up and the back cover shorted the board, melted a hole thru the board, 1/2 resisters missing. and the top of the amps plastic cover was melted like it had been on fire. Any way I repair the missing resisters, redo the transformer connectios. And it still dont power up. I call the guy and he says I need to ground the case for it to come on. So today I had it in my van, I wire it up with like 12 awg power/ground/rem, RCA's and then ground the case. Well, it lights up, So I turn around to get a speaker to hook up to test for output, cause meter was like 12-18 volts ac, when I turn back, the wires, power/ground were on fire, Ya, ON FIRE. So I pull the power wire off with plyers and look on the carpet floor and theres melt marks from the wires. Stupid Kenwood POS,
Things I learned today.
Always bench test POS amps.
I dont know how to fix amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
and one nigght i was lookin at ones of my friends amps,it was a old sherwood,he got it from a yard sale hes had it for months,but i got to looking and everytime the bass hit the peak light on the amp would come one,i was like u gotta be kidding me

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10932
You call that a small amp lol?

I dug up awhile ago something I had from years ago. An Urban audioworks 100w 2ch amp. As far as I know still works. This was the cheap stuff back in my day lol. I think it was $20 brand new 15 years ago.

Realistically it's 100w total max. 50rms, 25 per channel. Call it a tweeter amp lol?

Super bass baby!!!!

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
my friend had one of them along time ago except it was the 2 channel one that was 100 rms per channel,wasnt nothang special.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10934
Cute to look at though lol.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3041
Long story short... Guy wanted my to fix an amp last weekend. A Kenwood x401. I open it up and the back cover shorted the board, melted a hole thru the board, 1/2 resisters missing. and the top of the amps plastic cover was melted like it had been on fire. Any way I repair the missing resisters, redo the transformer connectios. And it still dont power up. I call the guy and he says I need to ground the case for it to come on. So today I had it in my van, I wire it up with like 12 awg power/ground/rem, RCA's and then ground the case. Well, it lights up, So I turn around to get a speaker to hook up to test for output, cause meter was like 12-18 volts ac, when I turn back, the wires, power/ground were on fire, Ya, ON FIRE. So I pull the power wire off with plyers and look on the carpet floor and theres melt marks from the wires. Stupid Kenwood POS,
Things I learned today.
Always bench test POS amps.
I dont know how to fix amps.

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 5458
We had a guy come in w/ a Power Acoustic db3000 awhile back...he said it was shutting off. He wanted it tested, so we hooked it to the test bench.

It came on and all, then we started to give it alil volume.

SNAP!!! POPOPPOPOOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOP!!!!!

All the Fets on one side went up in smoke.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5431
hehe paul even my tweeter amp has more power :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10939
That's why it's funny lol.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 523
lol these installs were really funny lol i made a mistake when i first started installing lol i did my car and thought it was super easy so my buddy asked me to do his install so i said kool well i went over to his house started to install and everything got all the wires ran and everything well he found the bass knob and had to have it installed installed it then i ask him where he wants the ground wire installed he shows me a rusty whole well i didnt know about bare metal and all that so i bolted it up and tested it it worked so i was thewre you go well he turns it off cranks the bass knob up all they way tu=rnes the radio down and starts driving arround well then the next day he calls me saying he hears a helicopter and then the amp cut out and smoked up the cab of his truck so i he took it to the shop and they told him it was fried you can pretty much guess why

Gold Member

Post Number: 5460
Well guys...I have yet another one!

This one came in today around 4:30.

Its an L7 15"...and sadly, I see ALOT of Solo's like this.

I don't know if its just the spiders on Solo's tend to do this or what, but prolly 20% of the solo's that show up at the shop are like this. (Well, not this bad...but close)

Well...here are the pics:

Upload
Upload
Upload

Its worse in person. This is the worst sagging suspension I have ever seen in person.

Just sitting there w/ no weight on the cone, its litterally bottomed out! Coils are fine though.

I hardly ever see any other subs that wear out like this. Being that I see so many Solo's like this...I'm going label this "Solo Sag Syndrome".

Gold Member

Post Number: 5461
Here is a vid of just how bad the suspension was sagging:

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n151/southern1inla/?action=view&current=saggi ngsolo.flv

I was pushing up on the cone to try and get it centered.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3730
"Solo Sag Syndrome" LMAO

L7s quality blows big time

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1447
LMFAO that dude sounded so country sounded like he said adoban

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2878
Canaan

"Solo Sag Syndrome" you hit the nail on the head with that one.(keep em coming)

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 527
lol i know they solos is all my friends will ride to lol even the people i know sponsored by kicker lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us