Pioneer Struggle: DEH-790BT vs. DEH-980BT

Username: Protego2103

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum and I need some help in the worst way. I'm looking to install a new HU into my 94 Geo Prizm since my entire music library is wrapped up inside my 160G iPod Classic and I currently have the factory installed system. After days of research & hands-on research, I've narrowed my search down to Pioneer, but I can't seem to nail down a definite opinion about its compatibility with the new iPod Classics.

I chose the Pioneer Premier series bc everywhere I look, the consensus seems to favor the company's iPod UI. I want to have complete control of my iPod from the HU & I know for a fact that I want built-in BT, which is why I've chosen the 790BT & the 980BT. My price range tops out at the 980, so it really does come down to these two.

If there is anyone out there with a suggestion or a 1st person experience, I would appreciate any type of input.

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 689
get a harmon kardon drive play kit for massive ipod control and i love the interface it run u about a 100 bucks. next depends on the system your running if it's middle end go with the cheeper pionner if ur got a really high end then go with the high end. ether way everyone has thier preference. most od the difference from what i've read on and off is the EQ tuning. so if u don't need it spare the money get the ipod kit and ur set.

Username: Protego2103

Post Number: 2
Hey Keith, thanks for the heads up man. I'm gonna keep looking into the HK, but I don't know if I'll go that direction. One of the things I like about the Pioneer (and most others that I've looked at) is the fact that it has a removable faceplate that I can take with me when I head into class. It just seems like this unit would be aesthetic overkill for my ride. I'm looking for a unit that I can transfer over once I get my next car, but I want it to be clean-cut & minimalistic. Zen-like, ya know?

Thanks again bro. Like I said, I'm gonna keep looking into the HK since I really like what I've seen of the iPod interface.

Later.

...Also, I read some reviews that said it wasn't BT compatible at the moment. Any news? That's an absolute must-have for me.

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 699
No problem tyler, about harmon kardon systems. one is a high end blue tooth the other a low end bluetooth. the harmon kardon theres a wired version which i have and love. the harmon kardon is a add on to the pioneer idk if u got that's what i meant. to add the harmon kardon to the pioneer. anywho, theres also a wireless harmon kardon which has a wireless remote knob and so on. but i heard bad things about it's reliability. i buy from here and they are the best price yet. so i say if u can do it just get the higher end in case of future upgrades. also i'm doing the same on the moving car to car. the best i can say is just remember how you installed it and uninstall is just as easy.
also the only reason why i knock pioneers ipod interface is it is hell to navigate it's not easy at all

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductList.aspx?CategoryID=5&Manufactur erID=628
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us