Dual alternators............

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 966
I have a Geo Tracker and the stock 55A alt. doesn't like running vehicle plus a NINe.4 and an Earthquake D-10 (at 4 ohms). I picked up a Bosch AL6509X 90A alt. for free. Looks like it's never been used. I also got a nice battery for free.

I could run the Bosch and the new battery completely seperate, just for the D-10, but what I need to know is what needs to be done to run both alternators on the whole electrical system, and which way would be better.

The NINe.4 draws 60A max, not sure about the Earthquake, though. It's putting out 1500W and hasn't blown the 120A fuse though. I won't be running the NINe.4 at max much. So I'm thinking that running a seperate alt and battery for the D-10 would be better, that way with the engine off I don't have to worry about killing the starting battery with drawn out bass notes. 90A is a little small for sure, but as long as I don't roll around blasting test tones, do you think it'll be alright?

I have all the stuff necessary for making the bracket.

I hate to put $400 into a HO alternator for this thing, but I don't mind putting in a little work.

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Team Revolution

Post Number: 9038
Just buy mine for $250. Never been used :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 968
I should have expected that lol. I recall you saying it put out 200A, that right? $250 shipped to Canada?

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 9039
Yep its a 200a. Where in Canada are you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 969
Victoria BC
V8P 2K7
Still waiting for a position to open at Thrifty's, so I def. won't have any cash til December, but you can let me know how much, I'll keep that in mind.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 9040
I could do it for $250 shipped. I will probably still have it. No one really has a purpose for a H.O. alt on a Tracker. lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 971
Lol. I know what you mean. It fits the stock mounting bracket and everything right?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3639
Definetly get that HO alternator. Running two alternators, that's a can of worms you don't want open.

Silver Member

Post Number: 972
Trying to figure out which vehicles that alt will fit, I came up with this:
http://www.pe.nisenlargementpill.fjhyup.info/plastic-surgery-for-males-pe.nis-en largement-how-much

Anyone who's interested, take out the "."'s. Lol.
Anyway, it's Sidekicks, Prizms, Metros, Swifts, etc. Not many people will want one for those lol.

Silver Member

Post Number: 973
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, Logan.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2483
copy and paste the wrong thing maybe??? lmfao

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2484
poor cam hahahahah

Silver Member

Post Number: 975
Damn. I've been found out. Lol. Nah, I was saying that was one of the results. Struck me as strange.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 509
hey cam i am in desprate need of and alt do you still have yours an also will yours hook up to a ford v6

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
I'll sell you this Bosch for $100 + shipping. Model number is AL6509X. Check if it'll fit. I think it might.

Silver Member

Post Number: 980
Make that $50 + shipping.

Silver Member
Username: Surferdude9371

Fully loaded 18 BTL

Post Number: 256
nothing wrong with runnin 2 alts ive even seen an h2 with 3 the only tricky part is making mounting brackets and findin space

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 9041
Yep it bolts right up to the stock brackets.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5571
"I could do it for $250 shipped. I will probably still have it. No one really has a purpose for a H.O. alt on a Tracker. lol"

Why so much money then?

"Yep it bolts right up to the stock brackets."
What I don't understand is why you never installed that alt into your own vehicle.There must be something wrong or maybe you didn't know how to install it?

Silver Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 511
logan are you answering my question about your alt bolting up to a ford v6 if so your wanting 250 for it right and if thats right can i buy it from you

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1192
Thats a good price for a new 250a alt. I paid $340 for my 200a alt shipped to Canada(thats not a bad price either)

When I had that D-10 @ 1ohm my 150a fuse got a lil over used and browned a bit, but didn't pop....you should be fine with that 120a @ 4ohm!

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 9042
Ben, im not sure if it will, but I will check.

Because Rob, I didnt really have a need for it. An if you saw where the alt was on a tracker, you wouldnt want to change it either.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 9043
And what do you mean so much? lol thats almost half of what I paid for it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 982
He's talking about it being a direct fit for a Geo.

Did you have it set to put out the full 5kW, Mike?

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1194
1ohm would be close to 5k (1ohm would be 4krms).

Silver Member

Post Number: 983
Ah. Interesting. I was under the impression that the ratings you gave me were RMS. Hmm. Well at 4 ohms it should be 1kW RMS or there abouts, right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5593
"And what do you mean so much? lol thats almost half of what I paid for it."

I had a 200 amp alternator that I had no use for and I sold it for 75 bucks pretty much,too bad the buyer went to jail :-(

"Because Rob, I didnt really have a need for it. An if you saw where the alt was on a tracker, you wouldnt want to change it either."

What do you mean you didn't have a use for it?You were running an Orion 2500D on a stock alt...and as far as me wanting to change it...of course I wouldn't want to change it,I didn't want to make the bracket for my alternator but I sure as hell did and my alt was more a pain in the a ss than installing an alt in a Tracker is.To remove the alt on Astro/Safari vans you have to tear apart the interior.Which I did at least 6 times in my mission to get my alt in there which I did.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5594
Logan,don't you think it was stupid to buy an alternator for a vehicle that you were never going to use or need?If you had no use for the alternator then why the hell did you buy it?Makes no sense.

Silver Member

Post Number: 984
His voltage stayed above 12.5 so he didn't bother, if I remember correctly.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 9045
Well peoples plans change. I knew i was gonna buy a new car some time, so it wasnt at the top of my to do list. The alt is on the bottom of the motor. It looked like a b!tch to try to get on, so I thought, eh, I dont really feel like fu*king with it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5598
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't those Trackers all have 55 amp alts?How you can run an Orion2500D on 55amps I do not understand.

Silver Member

Post Number: 985
They do. The battery has time to charge between hits though. Still not too great, but eh.

Silver Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 514
whos driving a geo??????

Silver Member

Post Number: 986
I do.

First post buddy.

Silver Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 516
lol sorry i got just a little bit lost

Silver Member

Post Number: 988
Lol, np. Still not sure I wanna put money into something specific to the Tracker though. Logan, try posting it on some 4x4 forums. People want em for winches, lights, etc. When I have the money, if I want it I'll post a thread, and if you still have it we can work something out.

Silver Member

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 518
well hey logan if you can find out if it will fit my ford i would love to get it from you i really need a new alt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us