RE SX15 vs. 13W7 vs. 2 12W6

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 383
hey guys, quick opinions.... what set up do u think would be louder in the same car all being powered by one RE 12.1 amp?

I have the SX15, and this kid i know has 2 12W6's and it definitely pounds as well and i was just curious how the 13W7 would be in the mix....

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
obv. box setup matters as well, but lets just say each sub(s) were in their optimal box setup....

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Ohio

Post Number: 3781
i'd look at it this way
sx- loudest most spl
w7- best sql being loud and have pretty good sq
w6's- best sq while getting decently loud
if it was i'd just stick with the sx unless you your looking for something different then i'd go with the w6's. also nice amp you have, i have one pushing my atlas's and love it.

Bronze Member
Username: Djb0501

Post Number: 51
the 13w7 will pound harder than the 2 12w6s

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3985
W6s will hit harder than the W7 and sound cleaner .. the W7 is the oddball of JL, its overprized and moves a lot of air.. looks cool but don't perform as well as the W6s

depending on box/power .. you W6s could get louder than the single SX 15".. but theres lots of variances and the SX will get loud on enough power and proper install

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2475
who?

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
thanks guy.... i love my sx15... and i have always wanted to get in measured... but can't find a place with a meter over 130 db. one guy did say that he used to judge sound comps and he guess i was 148-150 db.

i used to have pics in the "show off your system pics" but that part of the forum always seems to be down. since then i put in Infinity 6.5" KAPPA60.7CS component speakers in front. I like them.... much better than my infinity reference series coaxial i had.

-Powered by an alpine 4 way amp (can't remember the model off hand) but it pushed 55w x 4 at 4 ohms and 65w at 2 ohms. (my new speakers run at 2 ohms)

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12465
i remembered seeing a few ecoustic members doing high 148dbs with their 1 15 sx ....

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13077
"the 13w7 will pound harder than the 2 12w6s"

Thats why i Love Ecoustics...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3988
^^ lmao..

yeah marshall was doing high 140s with a single SX 15" in his truck..

i was doing 146.3 @ 42hz

when i blew a fuse when i ran two RE SXs.. with 1 sub and 1 amp working i did a 148.9dB @ 49hz .. of course the other SX at that point was acting as a passive radiator lol

Username: Timbuc

Post Number: 7
You cant be for real. (2) 12w6 in a slot ported box will play louder and sound cleaner than the (1) 13w7 and the (1) SX 15.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1958
all people hear about w6's is yadda yadda they're sq subs and don't get that loud....LIES

2 12w6s not to mention 2 13w6s will SLAM...

w6s hands down no question

if you can afford em, go 13s they are AWESOME

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 1...

Post Number: 5438
Ok...here is how I see it.

-If you really have alot of $ to blow and want what the audio shop will tell you is "THE SUB". Get 13w7.

-If you want really nice clean sound, and have a good bit of $ to drop. Get the 2 12w6's. They will out perform the single 13w7 (given the same power). I prefer the sound of w6's over w7's anyways.

-If you dont want to spend as much $ and still want to be loud. (And maintain a good bit of SQ, but not on the level of w6's) Get an SX15 and send him ~1200wrms.

SX's do have a good sound, but not a clean as w6/w7's. They do sound MUCH better than L5/L7's though.

I loved my SX15, i did 141-42dB @ 31hz in my daily box on a jbl bp1200.1. I peaked out at 148.6 @ ~48hz w/ my SPL box.

JL w6's are FAR from SPL subs, they are made to sound smooth and do.

A guy not to long ago got 2 Autotek SS12's and an Autotek SS500.1 w/ a prebuild x-scorpion ported box. We installed this in his Mazda hatchback. Those 2 lil 12's were DAM loud. Got alil distorted at higher levels, but sounded pretty dam good. Hit the lows pretty dam nice. He metered mid-144's w/ that lil setup! (cough, that car was mean as hell for SPL, cough)

He let the other local shop talk him into thinking the w6/w7's were be-all-end-all subs.We had a like new w6 in the shop w/ the HO box. The guy bought it and a ~600w amp. We reinstalled his stuff and he did 139's at my next comp.

Cliff note:
JL = $$$$$$
SX15 = :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3990
loved my SXs.. and if you mess up and blow one somehow.. you an recone them rather than deal with JLs tech lol

two years with no probs out of mine.. even when i ran almost double the rms daily

Username: Timbuc

Post Number: 8
Never had issuse with JL, Boston or IDmax. A buddy of mine mess up a W7 and got a spanky new one from the local shop. Mine you it was his fault too.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3995
well my outlook on buying subs.. if you can't recone it it becomes a doorstop unless you have warranty and can get it replaced..

otherwise imo, don't buy something you can't fix :-)

but of course.. properly installed you should not have an issue

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 350
sx cheaper than 2 jl w6's

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13090
^^Depends on where u get them. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3652
1 SX > 2 W6 for SPL

2 W6 > 1 SX for SQ

Gold Member

Post Number: 3998
SXs on ebay are less than $300 shipped for new..

you can catch them used for $200-$230 shipped

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1334
SX cheaper setup more bag for the buck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 386
ya i have a camaro, so the area in back is pretty small, so i think the best i could have done was 1 15" sub ported.... i don't think i have enough room for 2 12" in a ported box to specs. For the amount of space i have i think i did a good job. Its great when people ask me what i have in my car...and i go 1 15" and they say something like oh i have 2 12's and the talk sh!t like their setup is louder lol. Most kids are noobs to car audio and think brands like audiobahn, sony, pioneer, and kenwood are good subs.... and i just laugh when kids think their system is louder than mine. I have had the SX15 for 2 years and have had no problems at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4001
if you can't fit two 12"s ported you can't fit 1 15" ported properly..

Silver Member

Post Number: 387
really? cuz i thought i did my math correctly and figured out i couldn't fit 2 12" ported. but i actually just looked at the website and 2 12's is the same cubic feet as 1 15, haha

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3757
i could do 2 12's ported and not 1 15 ported as easy...... 15 taller... hard to fit box into trunk openening and still have sub firing rear.... so not always.... sub firing direction matters to..

Gold Member

Post Number: 4008
in a camaro you'd have to have a weird design for two ported 12"s.. only way i see the 15" is taking out the backseat :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
if the f*ckin show off your system thread worked u could see my set-up lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
Actually this link might work, so you can get a look at my setup....

since these pictures were taken (1 year ago ?)
I have upgraded to a 4 farad Power cap, and 6.5" infinity KAPPA60.7CS front speakers...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/system-showcase/228255.html

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5608
I can't believe this thread is still going...

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
lol why?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us