180 amp alt and a battery

Bronze Member
Username: Circa09skater

Post Number: 52
alright i have a JL 1000/1 and a JBL 120/4 and today i was parked in a parking lot playing my system pretty loud but i still had the car running, just at idle. after about 5-7 minutes of playing i started noticing the subs missing some beats and the whole system sounding weaker and i looked down and my battery light was on.so i drove around a little bit and everything went back to normal. but what i want to know is, is my alternator fvcked up or do i just need a new battery?? and my alt is just a couple weeks old and its an irragi.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5402
sounds like your drawing more current then your alt can supply at idle and your system was drawing off your batt and drained it and when you drove it charged it back up. adding a battery should help you out at idle.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
what if i just got a good battery like a kinetic?

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 622
getting a second battery is always a good thing, but sometimes not necessary

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5406
thats what i ment add a good battery to replace your old on.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3598
Battery will not help that.

You're drawing more current that your alternator can supply. HO alternator is the only way to fix that. End of story.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5413
MS it says he has 180amp alt. which is probably a HO as most cars dont come stock with that. it sounds like his voltage is fine as his battery gets charged when he is driving his alt. just isnt putting enough power out at idle for his system, he isnt running big power and a battery will help him because it sounds like his is on its last limb anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 638
yeah what mat said.....

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3602
Didn't see that, but in any case the same thing will continue to happen at idle no matter what kind of battery he has. Since he does have an HO alt, it apparently still doesn't have enough idle output. He will just have to not blast it at idle in that case.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5414
yup, but a bigger battery reserve will help him out for longer periods and supply him with a stable 12.5 volts till he steps on the gas and starts driving again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
sorry i havn't responded. been kinda busy. but yea i do have a 180 amp HO alt. i was just making sure there wasnt anything wrong with it. thanks for the help.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5417
it should be fine look at it and see if it looks burnt up at all, also make sure you belt isnt to tight and isnt slipping either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us