OT: alternator installation please read

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 448
I am getting my new alt in a few days. I was wondering if their is anything i should worry about when i goto install my alt or anything i should know before i goto install it. I heard that you can possibly fry your computer if you do it wrong. But wouldnt it be ok if i have everything disconected? my old alt is 100 amp and my new one is 220 amps.

thanks for any and all help

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 451
bump!

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5389
disconnect your battery. and dont over tighten the belt.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5509
Make sure you don't leave the cable from you batt laying around loose.Don't over tighten the nut where your wire terminals will sit on or you'll strip it out.I'm sure you know this but do your Big 3.

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 659
does anyoen have a pic showin ghow to do teh big 3? i lost myne. somoene gave me oen b4 but its gone

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 724
Google is your friend, there are plenty of tutorials. Don't over or undertighten bolts, the tensioner should take care of the belt- though you might need a slightly larger belt if the new alt is much larger(I did on the last vehicle).

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3581
If it's a drop in replacement HO alt, it's the same as if you were putting in a new stock alt, not much to it except for the big 3 wiring has to be done if not already.

Only thing to watch is if the new alt has a smaller pulley than the old one you will either have to get a shorter belt, or take the pulley from the stock one and put it on the new one. I did the latter so I wouldn't have to mess with belts.

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 661
how do i know if te bealt is too small? i wen ton rockfordfosgate.com and di dthat thing to find out what i need fo ran alt and it siad with 3000 rms i would only need i thik 220 amp alt and if i used 1/0 wiring i wil produce about 2773 wats i think not sure and i was thinking hc1400 kinetic woudl be fine. well everyone sais to get a 300 amp alt why? and how wil i know what size belt to get if i need to cuz im sure i wil since troy jones said he did.

Silver Member

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 452
thanks for all the help guys

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 439
i think everyone says to get the 300amp alt to compensate for running your AC or heater or headlights etc,etc, ontop of the amps, last thing u wanna do is drop in an alt and still fry ur amps cuz u ran ur AC in the summer and it drew* too much power.

Silver Member

Reedsburg, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 673
ohh i c. thanx

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3587
more = better

Simple rule for alternator power
« Previous Thread Next Thread »