OT- Guitar Hero III

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1127
anyone have this game? it's friggin nuts! i can't beat "raining blood" or "one" in the last tier. this game's solos are so much crazier than before it's rediculous

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 680
Awesome, right now I only have the second game. Plan on getting the 3rd game asap!

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1045
Try playing them on a real guitar.

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 578
i agree with mark, much harder on an actual guitar

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 667
Guitar hero III is really sick.. i think it's a good amount harder than the other two.

As for mark and kyle.. i've always wanted to play guitar but right now just don't ahve the time (college, sports, etc), but guitar hero is definatley a fun alternative.

although i have played saxaphone for 8 years.. when is sax hero coming out again? haha.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1128
i guarantee you "one" is easier on a real guitar because i can semi play it but about 5 min in it gets impossibly hard on The game.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1046
The time you spend playing GH could be valuable time to learn to play for real. I've been playing guitar for almost five years and can only play a few songs all the way through. I don't practice that much, maybe an hour a day or more. Depends on how involved I get in the song I'm trying to learn. The money you spend for an Xbox 360 and GHIII could buy a decent guitar setup.

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 775
you have been playing guitar for over an hour a day for five years and you can only play a few songs? guitar does take a lot of practice but that my friend is quite a bit of practice

raining blood is really hard, but when you play "through the fire and flames" by dragonforce nothing compares...it is far beyond ridiculous...i have a best of 2% complete

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 490
o wow now i cant wait till christmas when my little brother gets this for the wii lol i am going to take it over

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1047
A few songs that I know well. I have a gang of songs that I know how to play good, but I try to even it up. I'll practice one song for a few minutes, then switch it to something different.

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 668
no way would i ever buy and xbox or ps3 or any of that.. video games are a waste of time. i jsut like guitar hero because it's kind of hands on. out of curiousity mark, if i was looking for a good begginers guitar, what would you suggest? i've been thinking of grabbing one for christmas. ive been looking for something thats a good starter, but will still serve me well as time goes on if improve.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1050
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.samash.com
www.zzsounds.com

I don't know about current beginner packages. My first guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. It doesn't sound too bad. I personally like Ibanez though.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2041
screw guitar...play bass.

if you know how to play the song on real guitar its so hard to play it in the game because theres only 5 frets. im fairly good at bass (been playing for 11 years) and im horrible at GH.

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 824
GH SO addicting when drunk/baked... fun sh!t man I ordered it the other day hopefully it'll be here soon..

I play acoustic, got myself a really nice ibanez acoustic..

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5498
Guitar Hero is nothing like playing a real guitar from what my friends say.They also can play guitar pretty well but suck at GH3(some of them at least)

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3955
GH3 and real guitar is really different.. i don't play electric but we have a 77 fender mustang bass

the cords you can use as guides as well as the fret bars.. ghs controllers are basically all by complete feel and remember the length.. some of the combos are extreme hard and since there is no string to pinch your finger into its easy to slide off key

both are not the easiest thing.. both are different and yet fun

i will be getting gh3 soon, own 1-2 and love them both

Gold Member
Username: Hockeyknight

Post Number: 1236
Beat GH3 yesterday but let me tell ya the Devil is a dousch bag!!! on "One" just set up for the solo with ur three best fingers and go nuts on the strum bar!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5508
Lol you f ucker.That's what you have to do though on some of those songs because they're so damn hard.Focus on 4 frets and nail em perfectly.That last one is always hard to get to and puts you at bad timing.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1183
Beating med 1st for the easy cash (PS3) 5 stars for everything so one with one perfect song (Weezer-Jonas)

Can't wait to get up to expert....Dragonforce anyone. Still on expert on GH2 but I can do most of the actual songs on that diff, not bonus.

And yeah most songs are wayyy easier on an actualy guitar, but come'on this is fun stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1237
iv only played dragonforce a few times other than through the credits...which is crazy fun cuz u cant fail and its the sickest song in the game but the best i have ever done was like 3%

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
if you want a good beginners guitar get a fender stratocaster. they are super fun and easy to just jam around on

Gold Member

Post Number: 1246
god i hate strats..dont ask why iv just always disliked them......im a gibson and PRS guy

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 656
I agree with Ryan Shaw.
Theres quite a few songs on Guitar Hero that I play on guitar but on the game its much harder.
Like "cowboys from hell", much easier on guitar than the game.....
I've been playing guitar and drums for around 17 years....I cant wait for the game "Garage Band" to come out....word is theres going to be multi player with bass, guitar, vocals, and drum pad.

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 144.9 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 248
you want to sell the 77 fender bass jack

Gold Member

Post Number: 3973
not really.. its worth roughly $1500 .. USA made

even have the old polytone amp :-).. i had posted a picture of it a long time back

Silver Member

Post Number: 593
i just bought a refurb epiphone hummingbird cherry sunburst off ebay about 10 minutes ago
im excited

Silver Member
Username: Vc23

Michigan

Post Number: 124
hmm i agree its totally harder than the 2nd one... i beat career mode on expert.... the last battle against lou is just rediculous... but then there is dragon force... through the fire and flames but i cant even touch that song.. i fail at 2 percent im pissed.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3987
it took 6 people 4 days to beat through the fire and flames on expert.. video

Silver Member
Username: Jnoel

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 330
the song that plays during the comericial for the game aint on the actual game...this pisses me off...i'm feeling false advertisement

Gold Member

Post Number: 3992
i played through the fire and flames last night and only got 79% on medium lol.. at least i can play the whole way through..

i tried it on expert and hard but didn't fair too well :P

but GH is my drinking game so im not the best at it to begin with

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 3023
LOL @ all the weekend warrior musicians that come out of the woodwork every time GH is mentioned in a thread.

Gavin, I would recommend the Dean Vendetta XM to start off on. It is a very well made guitar with great features, is a steal at this price, and will last you for many years until you are ready to step up a few notches.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar-103933354-i1147572. gc

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 681
Thanks for the help Mark and Brad.. i'll definatley take a look. it's gettin to be christmas time.. i think i'm going to get one soon.

I'm really liking the link you posted brad.. i'm thinking about going with that one. that's a hell of a price. have you ever played one yourself?

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3029
Yes... my guitar player is endorsed by Dean and I get to play just about all of the current models. Dean is making excellent guitars nowadays and like I said that particular model is an absolute steal for the price. Get the black color, the transparent finish looks unreal. By the way, shipping on that guitar is free... all you will pay is the price + tax in Illinois.

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3030
Here is the Vendetta in transparent black:

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 682
i got a ibanez gax 70 i love it's action but geeze can't play a lick really. but since ur on here brad got a question for u i bough the ibanez at on of guitar centers "list" sales and aside from a small nick in the finish by the guitar starp i got it for around 180. my biggest pet peve is i have loose tone knobs, aka pots. i was told i need a wrench to tighten them. so i was wondering got any suggestions to tighten them?
and any good guidde links that show actual hand placements rather then just dots on a fret/guitar string scale? all help much appericiated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 617
look on youtube there are plenty of lessons
my advice would be to learn on actoustic, it is easier to transition from acoustic to electric

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3038
Keith yes you need an open ended wrench or pliers to tighten the nuts on them. If you use pliers be real careful not to slip and ding the wood. They are almost always 3/8" if you have a wrench. Just yank off the knobs (check on the sides to see if they are the type that lock on with an allen screw first) and you will see the hex nut underneath. Tighten it hand tight but don't torque on it too much... those threads will strip real easy if you tighten too much.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1064
I taught myself how to play. I never could read sheet music, I learned with tabs. www.ultimate-guitar.com is where I learned everything I know.

Brad, that Dean looks awesome for the price. What do you think of this Ibanez though? I have an Applause GTX23 and I looking to upgrade.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SZ720FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=519986

I've been looking at that one for a while. Just looking for opinions on what strings to buy also. I mainly play drop B tuning.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1065
Effects pedals also. I have a Crate half-stack and it sounds good, but it could sound better.

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3039
Thats a beautiful Ibanez... one of my favorite brands. I have two Ibanez here at my studio. If you are tuning that low (B dayum!!!!) you need to get some heavier gauge strings so that they aren't so loose at that tension. It can really mess up your truss rod and neck. Look at some .011 or even .012 gauge.
I would recommend GHS Boomers, D'Addario XL, and Ernie Ball Slinky's.

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3040
Effects depend on what style you play. I am guessing metal since you tune down that low. Let me know what styles you play and I will shoot you some ideas. By the way... I am a pro drummer, not a guitar player, but I have been playing guitar for twenty odd years and I am also an audio engineer and I play all the instruments on my solo cd's so I know guitar gear very well if you wondered.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1066
Well for some songs I tune even lower (Drop A#). I try to play all kinds of different stuff. This is really a suggestion for that guitar. I will keep that one tuned real low, and the others from drop C for the GTX, to standard and Db tuning for the Epiphone.

As far as effects go, nothing real crazy. Maybe a little more distortion and some wah. I don't know, I never used a pedal before. My amp gives plenty of reverb so I'm not worried about that.

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3041
Wow that's crazy you have never used effects. I don't know what your budget is so I will throw out two. If you are totally broke but want something decent check this one out:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ToneWorks-AX5G-Guitar-Modeling-Signal-Processor-1600 00-i1169372.gc

If you are able to spend more on something check this out:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Boss-GT-8-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-103041349-i 1124513.gc

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1067
Well I'm not broke but I really don't want to shell out $500 for a processor unless I knew how to use it. The $70 one looks nice though. I might just get myself one of them.

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3042
Korg makes really nice stuff... I have the Pandora. It is rugged and sounds great and clean.

Gold Member

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1068
Is this the one you're talking about? Sounds pretty fu<king good to me. Do I need a separate pedal for it too though? Also, what do I need to plug it in?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toneworks-Pandora-PX4D-Personal-MultiEffe ct-Processor?sku=152176

Gold Member

San Diego

Post Number: 3043
That's a newer version than mine. It is small, like fits in your hand small. Doesn't need any pedals and it hooks up with a standard guitar cable and headphones or another guitar cable out to your amp. It runs on an AC adapter or batteries too so you can take it with you camping or wherever.

Silver Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 684
thanks brad but i'm a bit scared cause my tone knobs are ether really slammed on or molded on cause there no allen key on them and they seem reallllly tight on there. as far as wrenches go i got pleny i just thought u use a special one that went in between the guitar body and knob.

Gold Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1193
27% Dragon Force on hard....rediculously hard.

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 125
on hard... wtf man.... that songs easy on hard... try playin it on expert.. i fail at 4% everytime..... its ga-y....i think if i can get past that part i can beat it.... its just ridiculous... or just beatin lou on expert thats just nuts.....son of a b-itch doesnt miss a note... i gave him double notes on a solo and he hit all of them....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1252
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I JUST GOT THE "MEET YOUR MAKER" ACHIEVEMENT!!!!!!!! for those of you that dont know that means i just beat one of the creators of gh3 at gh3!!!!

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 131
try to get the 1 mil club... thats actually pretty hard considering theres like 2 songs that you can get at least 1,000,000 and the people got like 100%......i think its the holdiay in cambodia maybe... im about 5% sure on that one so hmm.. just look at the scores on scorehero....

Gold Member

Post Number: 5609
"27% Dragon Force on hard....rediculously hard."

Nah,lots of people beat it on expert.

Silver Member
Username: Imi4tth3w

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 124
haha i beat through fire and flames on expert on my 4th try and i beat every other expert song on first try except for raining blood

=P

look up IMI4tth3w at scorehero.com

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 137
hmmm.... must be nice.... but yeah ill get it soon.. i just cant hammer on that fast.... i even tried having a rubber band hold down the green button and its still hard as fu.ck... i r.ape all the other songs tho...

Gold Member

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1197
Well I guess I just suck then...as on hard dragonforce is damn hard.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 1918
break.com/index/1-guy-beats-hardest-guitar-hero-level.html

*sigh*... lol

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

DD 9515f, 148.2 db Mov...

Post Number: 4543
guitars are for losers that cant play drums

Silver Member