HO alt frying car cpu and electiral system?????

Bronze Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Harrisburg star city, Pistolvania USA

Post Number: 45
The guy who sold me my car (2005 toyota camry) said that changing my alt to HO alt can fry the on board computer and they cost 5 grand to repair and it can damage the electrical system I'm scared to get one now.

Gold Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 1182
Well if you set the volts higher than 14.4v then you can wreck tons of stuff. But having an HO alt will not just wreck everything. I have had one in my Saturn for 2yrs now and I went from a 90amp alt to a 200amp alt and nothing is wrecked as it runs at 14.4v but it can produce more amps to equal the draw from my amps.

Same applies with a battery if you need 12v to run you dont put in a 16v battery....

Bronze Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

Harrisburg star city, Pistolvania USA

Post Number: 47
Ok so how do you make sure the volts are set at 14.4 ??? Explain it 2 me plz in detail and how do u tell the max volts u need for the battery is it listed on the stock battery.
And the place where I'm getting my alt installed doesn't know anything about car audio so how what am I supposed to tell them about setting the volts no higher than 14.4??? I really don't wana fry my cpu I'm scarred to do it now! : (

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3567
Mike, lets not confuse him with all this......

Dwight:
You do not set your voltage unless the alt comes with a external regulator (99% of them don't).

Your HO alt should be a drop-in replacement unless it said otherwise (meaning it should just work).

And most importantly, do NOT talk to car salesman/mechanics/etc about electronics. They know jack sh!t about this stuff. An HO alternator will not damage anything as long is it is installed properly, and you do the big 3 with 0 gauge wire when the alt is installed <---- VERY IMPORTANT
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us