Best buy?

Silver Member
Username: Liqdfire3

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 257
just wanted to know if any guys here work for best buy doing installs? i just got hired there and they are asking me to come up with 1500 to buy my own tools to use in the shop. just want to know if this is everywhere? makes sense though. people respect stuff more when its theirs.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3542
I've never worked there, but that sounds f*cking rediculous. No f*cking way I'd spend 1500 bucks for a job like that.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1592
Not trying to be a d*ck but do you even have that much experience doing installs? Did you go to school for it? Or do they just hire anyone off the streets?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10742
Walk away.

Better yet, run.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3699
I am a contractor at 710 IL distribution. You do not have to give them money for tools. If you become an installer you have the option to purchase your own tools, you will see a MAC or SnapOn truck come buy BUT do not let them force you to buy there tools. Ask for a list or as another installer to help you make up a list and go to Sears to buy them, even the box. Don't let a name influence you those guys will be paying on those mondo boxes like they were a car, even Craftsman tools are guaranteed for life! When I first became a mechanic I let the other mechanics and the SnapOn dude talk me into a nice used mega double stack with the two end boxes for a grand total of $18,273 and this was back in 1989! It took me over 6 years to pay it off biggest mistake I have ever made other than knocking an Irish chick up (my wife), lmfao... DON'T DO IT... (either one) Polo.. :-O

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10746
LOL. ^^^You're fugged up man.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5374
yeah polo, i in the process of buying alot of tools and this snap on guy is like oh well this is better and you should really get this and crap like that. hell craftsmen is better for alot of things if you ask me. if you break a snap on tool that you need you got to wait like a week for him to come around again to replace it, where as their is like a sears in almost every town (or so it seems.)

only thing about craftsmen is that the lifetime garentee only applies if you dont make a living from your tools, which i have never been asked by them, so even if they do ask you just got to say no.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1926
you don't need 1500 dollars worth of equip to install audio....at bb they probably have prefab boxes eliminating all glues, saws, etc....maybe some wire strippers, a hanger, a power drill, a dremel...

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2051
hex keys, drill with bits, screw drivers, maybe some heavy duty scissors, wire cutters, and crimpers, rachet set. your set. about 200 bucks. :-)

Silver Member

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 258
haha.yeah i thought it sounded like bs. but i just wanted some of you guys to give me your advice.

and twiztid i have done installs for about 3 years now. nothing through a company but for friends and family. they are paying for my class to get certified though.

the guy that hired me said they will give me a list of stuff to get. and also they said they do make alot of custom boxes but they have their own saws, compressors, and routers. so i dont know what else could make up the 1500. d@mn thats alot of money. they want me to have a roll around chest to keep everything in.

Silver Member

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 260
polo man thats alot of money for a used box and tools bro. way more money than i can afford.

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3703
That is not alot of tool actually, not for being a mecahanic...:-) Polo..

Silver Member

Lee high acres, Florida

Post Number: 261
yeah i was looking at some chests that were like 7000 without tools. but saturday i will talk to the shop guy again and get the list from him and hopefully take a look at his tools to get a better idea of what i will need. i have done quite a few installs over the last couple years and i have only used a little husky tool set from home depot. works wonders!

Gold Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3704
Remember this, Dremel does wonders! Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5376
yeah polo iv been pricing some tools and i could drop 30k no prob!

also for stereo installs get some automatic wire strippers they are like 20$ and work awesome.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 457
ok liqdfire 3 do some resarch you dont have to go through the classes if you have been doing installs as long as you say then the MECP installers basic exam would be easy for you to pass just buy the exam book like i did study btw the book is only 40 shipped to your door in 2 days. and i think its 50 to take the test

Silver Member

Jackson, TN

Post Number: 264
yeah i dont think i will have a problem with the test. some people on here and CA.com have said its a joke. yeah there is a testing site in memphis and i think best buy is providing the book. i think it was 65 for the test though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us