Amp in protect mode

Silver Member
Username: Holt_champ

Htown, MI

Post Number: 878
my amp goes into protect mode like 5 seconds after i start my car. the subs will hit like one time and then it will just turn off. there is supposed to be a red light on when its in protect but that turns off too. My subs are 2 fi q's dual 2 ohm and my amp is a kx2500.1. i have had them in my car for a long time now and it funny how everything just stoped working. i thoyught it could be the ground so i re-grounded it and the same thing happens. any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6541
You need to isolate the problem.
Disconnect all cables from HU to the amp. Power it up and see if it goes into protection. If it doesn't, get a portable cd player and connect the output to the amp's input rca jacks. See if you get any music. If that passes the test, then you have a signal overload from HU.
You might also want to monitor the voltage going into the amp with DMM. It could be that, there's not enough power.
If all else fails, then you have a bad amp.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 879
what do i do if i have signal overload from the hu?

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 880
my amp wont even turn on now. and i went to see about my hu an that doesnt even work now. so i have no clue what the problem is...i hate this shyt!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6542
You turn down the gain/level control on the amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6543
Check the fuse on the power wire. It could be partially blown

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 881
yes, thats as low as it goes right now. i checked to power at the amp and my voltage reads 14.5

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 882
i just changed that lol but i will double check

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 883
bump for anyone who can help

Gold Member

Post Number: 6545
Check the fuses. Your amp has them, the radio has it. Look at the fuse panel. That's the only way your HU won't power up.
Check the remote wire on the amp too. You can test it by touching the remote wire to the pos power cable.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 884
i dont think my amp has a fuse. i didnt see one on the outside. would my amp not power up if the remote wire is bad? i thought that was to make sure it didnt stay on when i turned the car off? im confused. what should happen when i put the remote wire on the power wire?

Silver Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 221
if no fuse on amp what about the fuse on the power wire going to the amp? lol it blown? plus if you had it for a long time maybe its time to upgrade the wires or take out the sub and check the wires inside.

Silver Member

Htown, MI

Post Number: 885
the fuse on the power wire is fine...my voltage at the amp is fine. i dont think the wiring inside the box is messed up because the amp doesnt even turn on now. and now my hu doesnt work. so i have no idea what the problem could be. the fuse on my hu is also fine. hmmmm anyother suggestion. i appreciat the time to help me guys!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6548
You really need to isolate the HU and the amp as I stated before.
Disconnect everything. Then see if the HU powers up. Check the power on the HU's power wires with a DMM.
If you're getting power on the amp, but it doesn't turn on, then with all cables out (except pos and neg on the amp, touch the remote wire on the amp to the amp's positive connector. That should force the amp to power on, if it's not blown. Sometimes there could be a short somewhere that you can't see, and that's enough to shut down everything.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2952
Like Isaac said. You need to test things by themself.

jump amps Power to amps remote...
Make sure there is 12 volts on the rem. Re check the ground wire is good. at amp and under hood.

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us