2nd battery and alt question

Silver Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 222
ok, i have a 07 santa fe se. I have a hifonics 1606d currerntly running at 2ohms off a kinetic 2400 in my trunk with a kicker lol forgot the model it's 50x4 rms. i got everything installed at a audio shop. Ok, this is my q....I have 0 gauge (kunconceptz) from my
stock battery to the battery in my trunk. It is connected to an isolator, going to a distibution block powering the 2 amps. No my lights don't dim at all except on time when i was showing off. Does anyone know the amps of a stock 07 santa fe se? and i noticed they didn't put a fuse anywhere! not under my hood or near the battery in my trunk. do i need to go back and tell them i should have a fuse(s)Where do they fuse(s) go? and last one i know long sorry...after they hooked up everything i noticed my trip computer stays on where i have my key in or not? i'm guessing they hooked up something wrong and i don't want my battery dead.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3502
There needs to be a fuse near each power source on every wire longer than a few ft.

Can you draw out a diagram of how everything is wired in paint or someting and post it? It's hard to understand without a visual.

Silver Member
Username: Santa_fe

Post Number: 293
ICE hey man i also drive an Santa Fe...as the name says....the stock alty on the 06 model is 95 amps or atleast mine is so as long as you dont have like extra features that require more juice im pretty sure yours will be the same as mine i run a directed 1100d @ 2 ohms...with a old RockFosagate amp for my speakers in front.....kinda similar set ups PEace

Silver Member
Username: Santa_fe

Post Number: 294
check wher they have your remtoe wire hooked up at and YES you need a fuse IT is PROTECTION of your NICE kicker amp lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
ok, sorry for the long absence....ok i suck at paint but i'll try to explain one more time. 0G coming from my front battery(hood) to battery isolator then from the isolator to my kinetic 2400 and then to my distribution block. And i thought i should have had a fuse 6 inches from each battery, i knew i wasn't crazy. Well i don't have anything extra on mine just a basic SE.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3512
Is the isolator close to the front battery, under the hood? If so then the wire from front batt to isolator prob doesnt need to be fused. Same for the alt to isolator wire.

The wire from isolator to back battery DOES need to be fused, on both ends, at the isolator and at the back battery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
the isolator is actually in the trunk next to the 2nd battery oh ok kinda late now, but will make sure i put a fuse under the hood and by the 2nd battery

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3517
The isolator can't be in the trunk unless they ran a wire from the alt all the way back to the trunk, and another wire all the way back to the front battery. Which I kinda doubt. Isolators have 3 terminals on them, alt, battery 1, and battery 2.

Unless you don't actually have an isolator. Are you sure it's not a relay or something of that type?

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
lol...it almost sounds af if you think i don't know anything about audio M.S. YES, they put it in the trunk, the santa fe has a under storage compartment in which i have my 2nd battery, 2 amps and isolator . I'm not saying it's right but that's how it's hooked up. They even tried to keep my brand new stringer 4ch rca's and tell me they gave me 2 y adapters so it was an even trade! Needless to say i didn't take that crap. But i think i will fix it this weekend from what i saw, i have my 0g coming from my hood battery to the isolator, then from the isolator to my kinetic then to a distribution block. But i have learned that place sucks, cuz they were sloppy, can see the wire coming up out my carpet when back door is open, and my ground looks way too long. this is what i have isolator- Item number: 140160892667 (ebay)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3544
Not trying to be a d*ck, but you apparently don't know, since that ebay item you just posted is a RELAY, not an isolator. They are not the same thing.

The relay disconnects the link between the batteries when it is not powered up. An isolator has two banks of diodes that allow current to flow only from alternator to battery 1, and alternator to battery 2, but not between the two batteries.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
well according to the description it says isolator but also relay didn't notice that, but tell me this what the hell does a isolator look like then? and what are you saying that i actually have hooked up? so in other words i should take this out and get a (real) isolator then? can you give me a link to one? i'm only here to learn, this sucks if it's really a relay :-(

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3559
The relay will work, you don't need to change anything.

An isolator is much larger and would be mounted under the hood (near the alternator).

Example:
http://www.motorcityreman.com/2-240.html

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 105
Dude, in what situations would you use an isolator or relay, from the sounds of it they pretty much achieve the same thing???

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
oh ok thanx m.s. i got this one on the way is this the right thing and will it work for any car? Item number: 150174572879
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us