What ohm rating for subwoofer with constant output amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Nanbakat

Mexico CityMexico

Post Number: 47
I have a brand-new Alpine PDX 1.600 amp. It puts out 600 watts at either 2 ohms or 4 ohms and I'm trying to match it to an appropriate subwoofer. (I'm only going to buy one subwoofer, btw.)

If changing the resistance has no effect on wattage supplied to the sub, would it be better to have the amp "see" a 2 or 4 ohm load? I'm thinking that a 4 ohm load would be better because it would require less current. Less current equals less heat and less wear-n-tear on the amp and the charging system. Am I right or wrong?

(Obviously, I would select a subwoofer with the appropriate voicecoil configuration so that the resistance would be what I want it to be.)

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1558
Audioque SD2.5 15

www.audioque.com

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12066
yes the 4 ohm load would be better for an output-regulated amplifier.

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3684
4ohm will use just as much current as the 2ohm would im pretty sure; it puts out the same power just cleaner power with lower thd. Regulated power supplys just dont let the amp pull more power when the resistance drops it ussualy is set at the max output of an amp running at 4ohms or so

Bronze Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 94
I though that the lower the ohms the more power your getting. I mean i seen a whole bunch of specs where they have different RMS ratings at different ohms.

didn't know the amp draws the same power at different ohms though

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 490
re se

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3422
That amp has regulated output meaning it puts out the same power at different impedances.

Like glasswolf said a 4 ohm load is better, even though you will get the same power.

Walye:

What you said is ture only for unregulated amplifiers. (which most are)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us