105a alt

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 639
just found out today that my alt in my 96 grand prix is rated at 105a. how much wattage would this be able to handle?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 903
Depends on how efficient the amp is, and how much you normally draw. Also, it's one of those things you can't know til you try.

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 184
i think a good guess would be the number of amperes x 100...so about 1000 watts would be a good conservative number

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 641
alright, well I was thinkin of buying the powerbass ASA2000.1D amp which will probably put out around 1600 watts. If your 100 to 1000 is right, should I probably look for an alt that is 180a?

Platinum Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 13016
u can run about 1200-1400rms on that alt....

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 643
well, also I need to consider the car electrical appliances as well.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 309
it does depend the amp, but I woulnt go over 1000 if its stock elec. (meaning stock batt and no big 3)
I was pullin about 850 and my voltage would hit as low as 11.4 at idle but that was with 2 different amp.

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 310
forgot to add I have a 98' grand prix with 105a alt too.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 967
Roughly.... 70 additional amps per 1000w you add.

In addition to your cars needs.

Alts are not over built. Many will say mine has lasted this or that with my 1000w amp. None are correct in saying their electrical system was sufficient in handling the load.....it was just a matter of time.

It is what it is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
also...realize alternators are not permenant so upgrading to a HO alt could also be "preventative maintenance" not to mention give u more juice for your amp(s). 1998 american car...the time WILL come.

you'd hate to put 1200wrms on and then the alternator dies and you upgrade to a HO alt (say 200 amperes) and be stuck with teh amp/sub you bought when you could've just spent more, upgraded your alt, and then sent more watts to your system.

really...it all comes back to budget.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3429
" 1998 american car...the time WILL come. "

And will come faster for the import cars

And yeah 1000 watts is porbably the max on that alt

Silver Member

Post Number: 186
can u post a link to data backing that up?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4976
i'd run 800w rms, that way you're sure.

Try running very efficient brands like Sundown audio etc.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3451
Nope cause didn't mean that seriously. You made a blanket statement that can not possibly be proven, so I did the same

What type of car is the best is entirely personal preference. Some people like imports, so fine.

Some others are like me and will always be fans of american muscle and wish they still made cars like they did in the 60s and 70s.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Tn Us

Post Number: 220
i got a 104 amp alt to on a 88 silverado,u run a 1000 watts and its gonna kill that alt,i killed mine with a rough estimate of 650-700 mtx watts,get somethang very effiecent,it lasted several months but it was going down to 11 volts

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
can not is spelled cannot

and true I did.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3475
Uh oh, we got a grammer nazi_

Even though you're right I don't really care about my spelling/grammer when I'm speed typing posts on this forum

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1395
"Many will say mine has lasted this or that with my 1000w amp. None are correct in saying their electrical system was sufficient in handling the load."

It is perfectly valid to make a comparison especially with similar size systems/alts.

The conclusion is that they vary. Alt failure is ALWAYS a matter of time -- high power audio or not.
I'm sure you've known people running 1500w with thier 60A civic alts and no signs of struggle (tfox at SD comes to mind - 1900w with a 95A Saturn alt - for YEARS), just as those running 140A alts with 1000w and all kinds of problems.

My initial thought in this case is to consider an alt replacement, but at the same time - I don't see a problem with getting the gear installed and seeing where things stand.
An amp like that is going to draw 50A at full tilt. If 20-30A is your typical listening volume your alt "COULD" last a LOOOONG time.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Tn Us

Post Number: 277
yeah look at it like this why would u get a high power amp and stick with a stock alternater when u cant get full power out of it cuz voltage drops and the thought better not crank the volume unless i wanna get another alt,its a waiste of money

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 993
Some others are like me and will always be fans of american muscle and wish they still made cars like they did in the 60s and 70s

13 mpg?(If that) Wont take a corner? Pass anything but a gas station? 4 wheel drums? Good for 100k? If that?

Not me.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4996
i'm a Import Lover, hate domestics cuz they weight so much!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us