Optima yellow and red top locations

Silver Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 189
where should the red top and yellow top be? red top up front under the hood and yellow in the trunk, or yellow up front in the hood and red in trunk? and will there be any complications with the battery since their different tops?

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
bump lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJPx1Z28_Io

Silver Member

Post Number: 191

Username: Bass_enjoyer

Post Number: 7
Well, if you are going to use those two batteries, I would put the red top under the hood and the yellow top in the trunk.

The red top is a starter battery and the yellow top is a deep cycle. The difference in their internal resistances would cause one to discharge the other, so you might want to look into a battery isolator or relay. More information on this can be found in the Accessories forums or on google.

I think a better bet would be to get two yellow tops with the closest manufactured dates possible, then you wouldn't have to worry about it. Even better than that would be 2 Kinetik batteries. Just my opinion though, there are better options than this.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12380
^^^good advice - use 2 of the same model batts

i myself have 2 yellows ...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3435
And even better than that would an Odyssey battery . Ya really don't need 2.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
hmm i decided to go now with either a red top and a kinetik hc800(already baught the kinetiks)
or and Interstate battery along with the kinetiks. So whats a batter choice? interstate or red top for under the hood? and is the kinetiks any good?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3437
You cant run different batteries without an isolator, and then you get voltage drop if you do use one, AND your audio system is still only running on ONE battery.

Just put one good battery in there.

In my expierence and people I knows expierence, Odyssey > Kinetik > Optima

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
Ok while reading about isolators on bcae1 i am confusing myself with a hang over do i really need one? and where can i buy one? on bcae after the explain about the 2 types of isolators; they then show how to connect two batteries without isolators and am now confused of why i need one from that point.
http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3445
You need the isolator if you want to run 2 different batteries. If two batteries that are not exactly identical are wired together they will "fight" each other, and you will end up with 2 dead batteries.

If you run 1 battery you obviously dont need the isolator.

Next point, isolators are basically a bank of diodes which allow current to flow one way and not the other. Diodes have resistance, which causes voltage loss. Meaning your system will run at a slightly lower voltage than if there were no isolator. Lower voltage = less power from amplifiers.

Do ya see now why I've been saying to just run 1 battery?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3446
About the 2 types of isolators, most are the diode type. The solenoid type are known to be rather unreliable.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 970
where should the red top and yellow top be?

Garbage? Better bateries can be had for the space requirement who's stats far exceed those of the Optimas....Red, Yellow, or wtfe they come up with. Comparably priced.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Where would i buy one? (autozone or something? and are they pricey?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5398
The only thing about the Odyssey batteries is that they cost a pretty penny.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 973
If your referring to the Optima's, and if there was no previous reply?

Autozone, and no, they are priced less than you would expect. Which matches the performance rating to a T...which is..less than you would expect.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Where would i buy one? (autozone or something? and are they pricey?

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
i mean the how much does a isolator cost? and do i need to get a certain one that has certain specs on it? and would they be able to accept 4awg wires?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3453
" The only thing about the Odyssey batteries is that they cost a pretty penny. "

That they do, but when I last looked, Kinetiks were about the same prices. summitracing.com had the best price when I bought mine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 200
man i compared to isolators and damn they compare to how much a battery cost's. what i'm getting at is why they cost as much as a premium battery? like i asked before "i mean the how much does a isolator cost? and do i need to get a certain one that has certain specs on it? and would they be able to accept 4awg wires?" no one answered lol! but yea, at thrifty's; the only one they got cost 100$+++. And at baxter's 60 amperage of the item cost 69$+30$ on wiring -_-, so yea!~!!! there any cheaper?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3463
Yeah thats about what they cost.

Now if you'd just run 1 battery you wouldnt be having this problem......... but no ya apparently can't do it the easy way

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6803
M.S. not to but in but would a odessey be better than a batcap 800 my bro's talkin bout buyin a batcap 800...no isolator needed on them

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3468
I don't know of anyone running Batcap so I couldn't really say.

This is not personal experience, but I have heard from others that the Batcaps are usually not as effective as a Odyssey/Singer/Kinetik of the same physical size.

I have seen ALL of the above brands including Batcap used in competition though, so who knows.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6804
ok thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
went to napa and checked their isolators out they had a 95 amp one for 38$ but i saw a dent on it, so the guy told me they had a 120amp one and he'll give me good price for it, originally the 120 amp one costs 89$ there so he types some funky computer thing in and gave me a discount on it for 58$, gonna go pick it up prolly in a few days.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3481
What size alternator do you have?

The isolator has to be rated the same or higher than the alt.

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
yea it all cool figured that out after you posted about that, Baxters auto parts were selling a 68 amp one for 63$ and napa sold 95 amps one for 38$ and with discount a 120 amp one for 58$ with the discount and my alt only gives out 70-80 amps so yea. Gonna go with that a great deal in price diffrentials.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us