6'9"' & (6'3/4" or 6'5"') - what are the best for the money?

Username: Pevan

New York

Post Number: 1
Hello,

I am new to the game. Trying to get the most possible sound out of 6'9" for the back and 6'3/4" for the front in a 2003 Elantra. I am not looking for an amp so my story ends with a head unit only.

Here is what I am thinking about so far...

Head unit
Alpine CDE-9881
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4O5zvHLnrRA/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=500C DE9881&tp=5684

Speakers

Front
Alpine SPS-17C2 6'5" 2-way
Infinity Kappa 652.7i 6'3/4" 2-way
Infinity Kappa 63.7i 6'5" 3-way

Back
Alpine SPS-69C3 6'9" 3-way
Infinity Kappa 693.7i 6'9" 3-way

Here is the speaker comparison
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/CompareItems.aspx?CompareItems=16415,168 17,15358,15351,15369

I would prefer to have the 3-way in the front as well. How is the set-up? Recommendations? Are the Kappa's worth the money? Read that they go really loud and I would like that since I am not looking to get an amp. Anyway, would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: 07ramjam

Post Number: 13
I think the Infinity's are amazing speakers.They play loud and very clear.Alot of people dont like them because they are too "bright".I like everything they offer.The only problem is that you're not getting an amp.The Infinity's are alittle power hungry and really shine with an amp.If your not going to get an amp I wouldnt get the Kappa's.I cant comment on the Alpines,but before I got my amp I had some Polks and I liked them as well.You might want to look into those.

New York

Post Number: 2
David, thanks much for your response.

I am not going for hear me on the next block type of thing. I would like the clearest sound possible, where I won't miss out on the low's, mid's, or high's. I think the Alpine's start distorting when the volume approaches max. Something the kappa's won't do.

Which pair will be able to give me the clearer, louder, better sound and decent bass sound without the amp? As I mentioned I am new to this...does the amp just crank up the volume or does it also help out in other areas?

All responses are much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5329
most aftermarket speakers really need an amp to preform. and basically you arnt going to get anything much below 80hz with coaxils, so really you would want a small sub to really get all the lows.

New York

Post Number: 3
FINE! Now I definetly do not know anything about amps. What is the cheapest amp I can get to power the four 3-way kappa's mentioned above? Do I need a 2-channel/3-channel? Does installation become complicated? THANK YOU!

New York

Post Number: 4
2-channel/4-channel*

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5332
i would look for a profile amp they are pretty cheap and well in the car audio world you basically get what you pay for. if your set on the kappas then get them i have only heard the reference set which i didnt like. also the alpine type R set is pretty decent. it actually suprised me.

installing an amp isnt hard just run power, ground, remote from HU, RCAs, and speaker wire. some people have a hard time running speaker wire threw the doors though. you will need a 4 channel if you get 4 speakers. or if your just putting two in the front door and getting a small sub you could still get a 4 channel to power everything.

try reading bcae1.com and http://www.glasswolf.net/tutorials/index.html

it will teach you alot of the basics.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us