I need some advice

Username: Quality

Palmerston NorthNew Zealand

Post Number: 1
First off I have to admit that I'm not a guru when it comes to car audio but I do have a huge passion for it. I've always wanted a kick but system and hopefully with abit of help from you guys I can achieve that.

I currently have 2 Boschmann 6x9's with a normal power output of 250 watts RMS each. I also have a 15" DVC Fusion Jonah Lomu Sub in a sealed box that can put out 800 watts RMS at 4ohms. 15's are good for low deep bass so I was thinking of getting a 10 or 12" for quick punch bass in a ported box (I have a van so plenty of space). Which would be better with my 15, a 10 or 12"? And should I have box sealed or ported?

Then I was thinking of hooking both subs up to a monoblock D class amp and use a capacitor because they will drain abit of power. So should I hook subs up to a 2 channel amp or a Monoblock? Then I might purchase 2 more 6x9's and hook all 4 up to a 4 channel amp. Then maybe a couple of 8" speakers (unamped) or something right up the front and 2 tweeters.

This should be an alright sound system don't you think? If you have any ideas or opinions please share I would like to hear them. Also, this is quite alot of watts so I will upgrade to bigger battery. Would you reccommend getting a second battery aswell or maybe a bigger alternator (pricey) or would a bigger battery and capacitor be able to handle all this just fine? Cheers

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 895
Don't need the cap, mixing sub sizes can be done, but doing it properly will be more work than it's worth. RMS Wattage refers to the thermal power handling, not the power that the sub puts out.

What I would do:
Don't bother with all the 6x9s. Get a component set, maybe a nice 3-way, and amp that. If you have plenty of space try porting that 15 and see how you like it.

Do lots of reading from reputable sites, such as:
http://www.bcae1.com/
http://www.the12volt.com/
http://www.glasswolf.net/tutorials/index.html
http://www.caraudiobook.com/

Ask any more questions you have on here.

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your quick help! Ok so you reckon ditch the 6x9s and go for component set. Could you tell me more about what components you have in mind? And why can't you just hook a 15" and 12" up to a 2 channel amp? Sounds easy enough. I'm not trying to query you at all I know you know more about this stuff than me I'm just wondering why you can't do it. And my sub is already in a sealed box can I cut my own port into box or just buy another box that's ported? Cheers and thanks for all this help!

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3414
You can't run different sizes of subs together. Well you can but it would cause cancellation, wouldn't sound good.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3415
" And my sub is already in a sealed box can I cut my own port into box or just buy another box that's ported? Cheers and thanks for all this help! "

No and No. The box needs to be custom built to the subs specifications.

And X2 to what cam said about components.

Post Number: 3
Sweet thank you for all this help! May sound stupid but could you expand more on what you mean by components? You mean speakers? Cheers

Post Number: 6
O'k so I read heaps of the links I've found here and components are speakers lol told you you I was a beginner when it comes to Audio. But thanks to you guys I have learnt that never ever ever judge on max watts always RMS! But what sort of components would you reccommend? I've decided to not go with all the 6x9's like you guys suggested. Cheers

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3443
What components you can get completely depends on your budget. You can get a very good set for around $400 or an amazing set for upwards of $1000. And theres some ok ones for around $200 or so.

Focal, CDT, Rainbow, and other that I can't remember all make very good speakers.

Alpine makes some good budget class speakers.

Post Number: 9
Thank you for your help I was thinking more what is best size for components? My last systems I just had the standard 5.25" and 6" speakers and were (rap. So looking to get good sized ones this time and I have been reading the good bad and ugly list so know what brands are good and which ones to stay away from

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5395
6.5'' component speakers offer great performance and are the most popular.There's also Morel,the Pioneer PRS(?) are supposed to be wicked also the MMATS 3way setup is pretty sick from reviews.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4973
the only person i've known that mixed subs sizes is Seth, he ran 12s and 10s and cut some frcuencies with a crossover, impressive stuff

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3449
Like Rob said, 6.5" components are best. If you can't fit those, 5.25" ones are also good.

Midbass usually starts to suffer with anything smaller.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Sweet thanks for all the help! So this is what I'm thinking now. Run my 15" sub off a monoblock d class amp (dunno what brand yet), then get either a 4 channel amp for my two 6x9s and two 6.5" speakers. Or get a 5 channel amp and run the 6.5" speakers and two 6x9s off that and then hook up a 10" or 12" sub on the 5th channel. Would that work? Then the 2 subs are on seperate amps and not one so wouldn't cause cancellations, or will that still not work? Cheers let me know if this will work

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3461
Nope won't work..... ya can't have 2 different subs in there. At all. Doesn't matter whats powering them.

Also, if those 6x9s are for the rear, you don't even need those. more on that topic:

http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/rearfill.html

What I'd recommend doing: run your 15" sub off a class D sub amp like you said. Then get a set of compnents and a 2 channel amp for those.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Ok I read the article and I get what it means but I have a van so I might just stick with the 6x9s and just turn them down abit (like article said. I know I have alot of space to use being a van but I don't really want to blow all my money on a top notch system (not yet anyway lol) just a system that will be good enough to produce some nice sound with some bass. When I brought van it didn't have stereo or speakers so a headunit and a 5.25" would be considered a serious upgrade compared to what it use to be lol. So I might go with tweeters and two 6.5"s in front of van for abit of sound to cruise to (and have the 6.5"s hooked up to an amp. Then 6x9's in back I(hooked up to same amp as 6.5"s) and then have my 15" sub in back hooked up to monoblock d class amp. This should be a good enough system wouldn't you think? For not spending too much money and I shouldn't have to upgrade alternator, maybe battery? Do you think I would need to upgrade battery?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
And I might add another couple of 6.5's yet, depending if I need them or not, do you think I will? I've learnt more things about sounds here in a couple of days than I have in my whole life so big thanks to all you guys!

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3466
In that case you want a 4 channel amp for the speakers.

Component speakers come with with a woofer and tweeter that you mount seperately. Get a good set of those for your front stage.

If you wanted you could run the 6x9s off the headunit, but you definetly need an amp for the components.

And will 800 watts for the sub plus whatever for the speakers, the stock electrical system will probably be ok.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us