1400 rms off stock electrical with big 3

Silver Member
Username: Moorezy

St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 133
Will my car be okay if i do big 3 with 0 gauge and run a hifonics 1606D? The stock alt is 105 amps.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3388
Thats pushing it. It may be ok while driving but you will definetly have to turn it down at idle.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5333
Yea...like M.S. said it'd be a close one.I'd never go past 1KRms on a stock alt with a single batt and I wouldn't play it for long if I did :-)

Username: Massiveaudio

Post Number: 2
You need to know the efficiency of the amp first. Most Class D amps running over 1000 watts need some extra juice besides stock. On average for a 1500 watt amp you should have 1000 cold crank amp bat in the front, same in the back (if not better) and the alt has to hang with both of those. Your alt sounds ok just keep an eye on it and the best thing to do is get a cap that rea}ds voltage and if car is on you want 14.5 volts, if car is off then you should have 13.5 v.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3395
^^^^ No cap

And you only need 1 battery. HO alternator if anything.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5340
Haha.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
yea but a HO alternator costs some GUAP and i don't have that GUAP. I don't play my music when my car is at idle anyways. Nor do i go around having it BLASTIN 24/7 only when i want to impress people. or see a hot group of chicks struttin on the curb.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 5312

quote:

only when i want to impress people. or see a hot group of chicks struttin on the curb

i bet your car rattling really impresses them.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12059
1400 watts RMS = 140A for class D.
add car requirements of ~50-80A
you want at least a 200A alternator for that load

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
http://cgi.ebay.ca/200-amp-Iraggi-Alternator-1994-95-Buick-Olds-Pontiac_W0QQitem Z7955200687QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33573QQcmdZViewItem would that work? thats not too bad price

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1392
Glass, 200A for 1500w -- class D??
I can't believe you'd say something like that.

The guy will "probably" be listening to music, not full volume test tones.

In my experiene a 105A GM alt isn't the strongest of stock alts, but with moderate listening habits it should work okay at least for quite a while. Keep an eye on your voltage, and be sure at the end of loud listening you give it a few minutes of low volume at an average crusing RPM to top the battery back off.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Tn Us

Post Number: 217
lol music impresses the girls,i rode around with some 15's b4 and the ladies started coming every which way saying look at them big speakers,quite a few numbers to

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6745
I had a 1500 rms system (150 amp fuse) on a 105 amp alternator in a 95 monte carlo z34 with a stock battery and then changed to a optima red top and it wasnt enough in either case .....I wouldnt run more than 750 rms which wouldnt be more than 75 amps on a class D with that alternator but 60 amps would be ideal in my opinion

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3402
Derek that 200 amp alt would be great, would definitely be enough for 1400 watts.

" only when i want to impress people. or see a hot group of chicks struttin on the curb "

I've got quite a few female friends, and none of them are impressed by car stereos, they all think it's stupid. In fact I've never met girl who WAS impressed by bass...

But I guess they're out there

Gold Member

Post Number: 5347
"I've got quite a few female friends, and none of them are impressed by car stereos, they all think it's stupid. In fact I've never met girl who WAS impressed by bass...

But I guess they're out there "

Most aren't but a few are.I've only had 3 girls in my POS that were impressed or thought it was cool.It's not a great way to get or impress a girl if that's what you're thinking.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12062
Opti, I err on the side of caution.
I don't know what his listening habits are, so I go with an alternator taht'll cover any of his needs, as well as upgrades to his system later.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6538
I'm in the same boat. I over-estimate my power needs now, so that I'll have some to spare in the future.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5371
"I'm in the same boat. I over-estimate my power needs now, so that I'll have some to spare in the future."

Yea.In this case it's better to have too much than too little.

Silver Member
Username: Renegadesrun

Lafayette, IN US

Post Number: 968
Opti.

x2 for Glasswolf.

I dont just err on the side of caution. I lean more toward math,....and common sense. Both dictate the need more power from the source to get more power in the end. Period. No shades of grey apply.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12072
I think Opti was just pointing out that since to double the volume audibly, it takes ten times the power, and most people don't run their systems at full output, then also considering that the peak RMS rating of amps are measured with a non reactive load, and a test tone at full volume, which is more demanding than an inductive speaker playing a dynamic music source, a "1400 watt" amp in most peoples' situations will only really be putting out a couple of hundred watts, so in reality you could get away with a smaller alternator if you know you won't be using all of the amp's potential.
The problem with that is, I don't know his listening habits, so I go for "how much power CAN he use with what he's got?" for my math.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12405
^makes sense since at 1 time i had about 2000wrms of amps on a stock 80A & 2 yellowtops but hardly ever turn it up unless im briefly demoing it to some1 .......

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1396
"I think Opti was just pointing...and most people don't run their systems at full output... peak RMS rating of amps are measured with a non reactive load, and a test tone at full volume...more demanding than an inductive speaker playing a dynamic music source, a "1400 watt" amp in most peoples' situations will only really be putting out a couple of hundred watts, so in reality you could get away with a smaller alternator if you know you won't be using all of the amp's potential."

precisely

"The problem with that is, I don't know his listening habits, so I go for "how much power CAN he use with what he's got?" for my math."

If a person's asking, I figure they realize they'll be pushing it and some common sense in volume control can go a long way.
I think overkill has become the norm in a lot of instances...you're some kind of idiot if you don't give your 500w subs 600 or 700, and your 50w speakers HAVE to have 100 to sound good at all.

ya sure as sh!t don't need a 200A alt to run an amp that's going to draw ~50 at full volume.

Username: Sonic_assault

Katy, Tx Usa

Post Number: 1
well i can definetly understand the demand for power. but 200A? not very sure about that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us