Am i going deaf

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1121
i have had my 12" ssds hooked up in my car for about 2 weeks and at first they were real loud. but now it seems like they are not as loud and it doesn't shake you as much? is something wrong or am i just going deaf?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3386
No you just develop a tolerance for it and need it to be louder for it to actually sound loud again.

Bass is a lot like drugs

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 867
Seconded. Car audio in general is like drugs.

Gold Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

ASU

Post Number: 2010
i like drugs.

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 868
I don't. I like ganja .

Silver Member
Username: Yukhui

3 15 AA Havocs, Memphis 4kw!!

Post Number: 711
I remember when I used to barley listening to music and was out at circuit city picking out my first room stereo. I walked by a system which was barley playing and put my ear about a foot away from the 6.5" "sub" (which you couldnt even see moving) and it hurt my ears.

And nowadays I can listen to 4 18" BTL's without it hurting my ears lol so yeah you just start getting a tolorance for the bass. You might think you're going deaf but nah I haven't really noticed a big amount of hearing loss. The only thing I hate is the ringing at night time when its quiet..

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

Gunshine , State Flawda

Post Number: 2257
i dont even realize my parents r talking to me half the time. or when all the haters talkin sh!t i just walk by em. not that i dont see em i just dont hear em. feel me. i like drugs more than car audio prolly.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Tn Us

Post Number: 210
lol i agree i remember the first time i steped in a loud thumping car it would make u come out shakin now its just like ah not loud enough,ive heard just barely over 100 decibels can make u go deaf or have heaing loss.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1122
i've heard that 130db+ permanantly damages your hearing no matter how short of burst it is. but if that were true the only way anyone on this forum could communicate is by typing... wait, lol

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2722
4 18" Fi BTL's and it doesn't hurt your ears something is wrong somewhere. That will hurt anybodys ears.

Reffer really makes me happy

Gold Member

Post Number: 2723
ryan shaw

In two weeks your subs aren't even broke in yet they should be getting LOUDER.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1123
i had them hooked up in a bad box in a trunk for about a month before i put them in a big box in my suv about 2 weeks ago. i think they are getting almost all the way broken in...

im only running them at 4 ohms and 1100 watts so if i really need it louder i can wire it to 1 ohm and 2000watts. will i notice a huge difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Ruxpin20

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 98
Ok ill break it down for you.....

Our hearing happens because of these little tiny micro sized hairs in our ears, if the sound wave that is entering the ear is powerful enough then these little hairs fall off, and they dont grow back. The more tiny hairs we have the bigger range of frequency of hearing you will have. If you lose alot of em your not gonna be able to hear faint sounds......

So in short, yes you are going deaf, go up to beltone and give they a couple of grand for some good hearing aids and you will be fine.....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2726
There will be a difference.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 690
^That is hearing loss. Could be temporary, but most likely not. I'm up at 4:25 typing this because my right ear woke me up screaming this high-pitch note >:-( At night I've always had a ringing noise, but my right ear is simply irritating the bejeezus out of me.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10570
"Our hearing happens because of these little tiny micro sized hairs in our ears, if the sound wave that is entering the ear is powerful enough then these little hairs fall off, and they dont grow back. The more tiny hairs we have the bigger range of frequency of hearing you will have. If you lose alot of em your not gonna be able to hear faint sounds...... "

Ummmmm........actually....

The ear has three main parts: the outer, middle and inner ear. The outer ear (the part you can see) opens into the ear canal. The eardrum separates the ear canal from the middle ear. Small bones in the middle ear help transfer sound to the inner ear. The inner ear contains the auditory (hearing) nerve, which leads to the brain.

Any source of sound sends vibrations or sound waves into the air. These funnel through the ear opening, down the ear, canal, and strike your eardrum, causing it to vibrate. The vibrations are passed to the small bones of the middle ear, which transmit them to the hearing nerve in the inner ear. Here, the vibrations become nerve impulses and go directly to the brain, which interprets the impulses as sound (music, voice, a car horn, etc.).

Upload

Hearing loss can be categorized by where or what part of the auditory system is damaged. There are three basic types of hearing loss: conductive hearing loss, sensorineural hearing loss and mixed hearing loss.

Conductive Hearing Loss
Conductive hearing loss occurs when sound is not conducted efficiently through the outer ear canal to the eardrum and the tiny bones, or ossicles, of the middle ear. Conductive hearing loss usually involves a reduction in sound level, or the ability to hear faint sounds. This type of hearing loss can often be medically or surgically corrected.

Examples of conditions that may cause a conductive hearing loss include:

Conditions associated with middle ear pathology such as fluid in the middle ear from colds, allergies (serous otitis media), poor eustachian tube function, ear infection (otitis media), perforated eardrum, benign tumors
Impacted earwax (cerumen)
Infection in the ear canal (external otitis)
Presence of a foreign body
Absence or malformation of the outer ear, ear canal, or middle ear
Sensorineural Hearing Loss
Sensorineural hearing loss occurs when there is damage to the inner ear (cochlea) or to the nerve pathways from the inner ear (retrocochlear) to the brain. Sensorineural hearing loss cannot be medically or surgically corrected. It is a permanent loss.

Sensorineural hearing loss not only involves a reduction in sound level, or ability to hear faint sounds, but also affects speech understanding, or ability to hear clearly.

Sensorineural hearing loss can be caused by diseases, birth injury, drugs that are toxic to the auditory system, and genetic syndromes. Sensorineural hearing loss may also occur as a result of noise exposure, viruses, head trauma, aging, and tumors.

Mixed Hearing Loss
Sometimes a conductive hearing loss occurs in combination with a sensorineural hearing loss. In other words, there may be damage in the outer or middle ear and in the inner ear (cochlea) or auditory nerve. When this occurs, the hearing loss is referred to as a mixed hearing loss.

Degree of Hearing Loss
Degree of hearing loss refers to the severity of the loss. There are five broad categories that are typically used. The numbers are representative of the patient's thresholds, or the softest intensity that sound is perceived:

Normal range or no impairment = 0 dB to 20 dB

Mild loss = 20 dB to 40 dB

Moderate loss = 40 dB to 60 dB

Severe loss = 60 dB to 80 dB

Profound loss = 80 dB or more

Configuration of Hearing Loss
The configuration or shape of the hearing loss refers to the extent of hearing loss at each frequency and the overall picture of hearing that is created. For example, a hearing loss that only affects the high frequencies would be described as a high-frequency loss. Its configuration would show good hearing in the low frequencies and poor hearing in the high frequencies. On the other hand, if only the low frequencies are affected, the configuration would show poorer hearing for low tones and better hearing for high tones. Some hearing loss configurations are flat, indicating the same amount of hearing loss for low and high tones.

Other descriptors associated with hearing loss are:

Bilateral versus unilateral. Bilateral hearing loss means both ears are affected. Unilateral hearing loss means only one ear is affected.
Symmetrical versus asymmetrical. Symmetrical hearing loss means that the degree and configuration of hearing loss are the same in each ear. An asymmetrical hearing loss is one in which the degree and/or configuration of the loss is different for each ear.
Progressive versus sudden hearing loss. Progressive hearing loss is a hearing loss that becomes increasingly worse over time. A sudden hearing loss is one that has an acute or rapid onset and therefore occurs quickly, requiring immediate medical attention to determine its cause and treatment.
Fluctuating versus stable hearing loss. Some hearing losses change -- sometimes getting better, sometimes getting worse. Fluctuating hearing loss is typically a symptom of conductive hearing loss caused by ear infection and middle ear fluid, but also presents in other conditions such as Meniere's disease.

Two minutes off the net.

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 716
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Username: Massiveaudio

Post Number: 4
What? Couldn't quite make that out...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts