Broken IDMax

Bronze Member
Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 59
I have been the happy owner of an IDMAX 12"v3D4 for about a year and a half now, but my sub just broke and I have some questions about getting it repaired.

I took the sub out of the box today and it seems that the metal part that connects to the back of the speaker itself (that pushes it up and down) and the part that goes in and out of the magnet is totally cracked. This piece was connected in 4 places, and now the metal is sheared off, so when the sub hits, this part no longer pushes the speaker, it just smacks into the back of it.
Pictures:

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I was wondering, first of all, if there's anyway to perform this repair myself? I was thinking of possibly trying to solder/crazy glue the piece back together, but the metal piece is pretty thin and there's not much to hold a bond together. Also, this piece is under a lot of stress when the sub is playing so I probably couldn't get it together solid again. If anyone has any ideas on how I could attempt to fix this myself (maybe just by ordering a replacement part?), I'd love to hear them.

If not, I'd like to know if anyone knows about the process to repair it (by sending it back to Image Dynamics), and what the expected cost might be. I'm a little nervous sending my sub in, because I know the shipping will be a lot and I've read some stories about their repairs taking forever to be completed. I know that was awhile back, so does anyone have any info on how long the repair process is currently taking? What steps do I need to take in order to get the sub replaced? Take it to a dealer or just ship it in myself? Please, anyone with any info can respond and help me out. Thanks.

-Matt

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6968
you could buy epoxy glue.. then take out the cone carfully while removeing the rubber soround but dont brake it and just glue it both pieces and put so weight on the cone for better bond ... if its too hard for you contact id max and they will send you a recone if you have warranty or you can send it to them

Bronze Member
Username: Treez

Post Number: 74
Send an email to RA@imagedynamics.com. Explain the situation and send them the pictures of the broken sub.

You have two options;

1.Order a recone which costs approximately $140 shipped and do the repairs yourself or

2.Call imagedynamics customerservice department and ask for Matt, he'll have you send the sub in and they'll repair it for free or have it replaced. ( if your're covered by a warranty)

I think your second option is the safer route to go, but it all deopends on your location.

Bronze Member
Username: Treez

Post Number: 76
How much Power were you driving to it? and was it in a ported or sealed enclosure?

Bronze Member
Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 60
Thanks for the replies guys.

It's not under warranty, so it's looking like it might be too pricy to send back for repair or to order new parts.

I had it in a 2.5 cu ft ported box running off a JL 500/1. That's the recommended box, and I know the sub wasn't overpowered. I did buy it on EBay used close to two years ago for only $170, and it was definitely in *used* condition when I bought it, so I'm guessing it's just old and beat up now.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now. Probably buy epoxy and try and patch it up the best I can...?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3363
Did you set your subsonic filter right? Subsonic filter being off could cause that
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us