OT: ZR6.0 Comps

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 478
Who on here is running em? I know someone recently got a set and installed em, I just forget who...How do you like em, what amp are you using for em?

Also, what's the difference between coaxials and comps, besides the tweeter being separate or not?

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1492
im running the ZR6.5s and for the money i love em. u cant beat the ZRs for the price. im using a Orion HCCA 225g4 to power them,which does 25wrms x2 at 4ohms but its under rated and rated at 12volts so im gettin more than that out of it.

Silver Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 248
I've got 'em. Sound great when powered...my amp is in for repair

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 479
TWiZTiD, would a Zapco 200.2 be too much for those comps? Also, I have 6 speakers in my car, would I need to replace those other 4 with something as well?

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 480
Zapco REF200.2

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 483
anyone? anyone?

bump for help

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5270
Coaxials usually have filters mounted on the speaker itself.With a component system you have a much better ability to adjust your imaging and you also have an "External" crossover.Coaxials are much easier to install because you won't have to worry about running 2 wires as opposed to one and you also won't have to worry about tweeter or crossover placement.As long as the coaxial fits in the mounting location it will be a much easier and faster install but it could sound better or worse depending on what kind of installer you are.As far as that amp being too much for those speakers well...you can tune the gain and make sure they only get so much power or you could be careful with the volume knob.Whether or not you replace the other 4 speakers in your vehicle is your choice,if you plan on keeping the other speakers in the car you should change them to something that at least sounds good.What kind of vehicle is it?Most people stay away from running rear fill but some swear by it because they claim it adds to a "Fullness" in the sound stage but with subwoofers installed it can give off a muddy sound and make everything blend together a bit too much which can hurt the clarity of what you're listening to.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 484
I have a 4dr S10 Blazer. I thought coaxials were just "bolt in" speakers basically. Would I need an external amp to power the coaxials?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5272
You can power anything off of the head unit but it's better to run an amplifier aside of the internal HU amp.You'll get more power to your speakers that way unless you have a really weak amp.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 485
so what do you/yall suggest for coaxials? not looking to spend too much money. If I only get a pair of coaxials, would I put them in my front doors and leave all other speakers stock?

I've got two on the dash, front doors, and back doors. total of 6.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5282
If I were you I'd change out the dash and the door speakers and just remove the back door speakers depending on how much bass you're going to have in the back or just power those with the head unit.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 486
Well I have a single 12" setup, it's loud, but not too the point where i can't hear the music. I'd rather keep the back speakers, they contribute to the sound, at least to me they do.
If I change out those four speakers, front door, and dash, should I just replace them all with coaxials then?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5290
Personally I'd go with components.They offer better clarity and imaging when installed properly.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 487
alright, so that leaves a pair that are still stock up front. If I get comps they would be going in my front doors. How can you not properly install them exactly? I understand where they need to go basically, but do they need to be facing a certain angle, other than how the stock speaker is angled?

How much tuning do they crossovers need to be set properly?

Silver Member
Username: Philly306

North carolina

Post Number: 454
crutchfield.com shows how to install

Gold Member

Post Number: 5295
Tweeter placement is important for great imaging.Also...depending on how well your doors handle the speakers...you may need sound deadening.Another thing is that your stock speaker location may and most likely won't provide the best response or performance for the speaker that you decide to mount there.This is why people make custom kick pods to get the best sound possible.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 489
thanks phil

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1494
I would do comps up front in the doors,then disconnect your dash speakers and not use them at all,and for your back doors you could just leave the stock ones or get some coaxials and just power them off the HU. Trust me about the dash speakers,you wont need them,I have a S10 and Im not using my dash speakers. The comps will be plenty loud plus the dash is a bad place for speakers.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 490
so why do they put em there in the first place?

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1495
Good question. But ask anyone on this forum and Ill bet they agree with me. If you do the ZR comps up front they will be loud enough anyways. And if you set the gain low on that Zapco you should be fine. If I were you Id start off with the ZRs and the Zapco with stocks in back and see how you like it. Then if you want more you can get a set of coaxials for the back or if you really want to you could get another set of ZRs and a 4ch amp.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 491
so how close should I mount the tweet to the speaker? crutchfield says no more than 12" away, but I've seen alot of tweets above the arm rest and some times on the sail panels.

How should I face the speakers? Should they be stock mounted or should I angle them up toward my face or something?

If I leave in the dash speakers will that interfere with the comps?

Thanks for all the help

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 493
just read one of your previous posts TWiZTiD, must have missed it. Should I build a custom housing for the speakers then or should mounting them in the doors of an S10 blazer be sufficient?

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 496
bump anyone?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5307
Kick pods built to your speakers enclosure specs would definitely be your best bet for the best possible sound and response.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 499
where can I find specs on those speakers? I looked on PG's site but couldn't find that model.

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1500
Your looking for the specs on the ZRs? Try google,it should come up with the specs. Or find them on ebay.I wouldnt use kick pods in a blazer tho,I think they would sit too far down in a suv but I dunno for sure.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 501
yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing, there already isn't that much space where the kick pods would be. maybe I will just seal the area off where the speaker will be, build a custom mounting bracket for it?

what about those tweets? how far away can they be?

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1501
well i have my mids in the stock location and they sound fine there. as for the tweets, before u drill the hole to mount them,play around with differant locations and see where u like it best. what yr blazer do u have? i have a 01 s10 and the interiors are the same in newer blazers.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 504
same year, but I got the luxury sedan with leather, I aint trying to f uck that up. Where do you have yours? Flush or surface mounted?

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1503
Mine are flush mounted. They are by the door handle,on the right side of it. I like them mounted high like that but you might not. So just before you permanently mount them,try differant positions.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 509
you like em like that for the look or for the sound? Right side of the door handle looking at the driver's side door?

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1505
yea i like em there for the sound. and yea right of the door handle looking at the drivers side door,so the left of the passengers side.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 513
do you have leather in yours? if I have to cut into the leather, it isn't gonna come undone or anything like that is it?

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1509
hey man if you have AIM IM me my s/n is twiztidclown1717. its jus easier to talk that way ya know

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 514
it would, but I don't have AIM, my bad

Gold Member

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1511
ok then if you have yahoo then IM me my s/n on there is also twiztidclown1717. if you dont have aim or yahoo then you need to DL them,I mean come on get with the technology man lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us