Power problems - cap, battery or alternator

Username: Jjbumbrella

Post Number: 1
Hi there

Ive just put a 12inch active vibe sub from my boy racer days into my missus's car along with and alpine 4 channel amp bridged to power two 6x9s and a pioneer head unit which runs the (surprisingly nice sounding) standard MK4 golf speakers. All works well until I turn it up around 2/3rds, then when a big bass or busy instrumental comes (at the moment whe your brain is about to release the endorphines and put a big smile on your face) the whole system cuts out and skipps as though the CD is jumping or something is cutting out. It's not the CD as it doesnt happen when the volume is low and theres a squeeky electrical type sound that you get with audio stuff.

I'm wandering if a cap is the answer but what I have read in the other threads they sound like a cheap myth. I'm 26 now and its been a while since I picked up the likes of a maxpower mag, so any help would be much appreciated - thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3329
Turn down the gain on your amp

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12037
after doing the above, have the alternator, starter, and battery checked under load at a locak auto parts store.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5284
Squeeky sound?Perhaps you're talking about alternator whine?Do you have your signal cables running along or next to your power cable(s)?Is the amplifier getting hot?If it is you're probably running it too hard and that's what's causing it to "cut out".

Bronze Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 98
this will be a little off topic i think, but i read it in one of the threads in this forum that it makes no difference how close the power and signal cables are. is this not the case?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5382
It depends on the cables used.Some unshielded RCA cables or cheap cables will suffer from whine.It's also a grounding issue.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3441
The easy way to tell is if the noise changes whit the RPMs, it's alternator noise in the electrical system.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12069
power and ground do not need to be separated.
what you do need to do is keep the signal and power lines away from crossovers, and anything connected to the ignition system, which will both induce noice.
if you get alternator whine, it's usually caused by a bad ground somewhere. Often, at the head unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us