Type R's or Audiobahn's? Dont have a clue.

Username: Gtasouthpark

Post Number: 1
Ok so here's the scoop. I'm wanting to thump hard, but don't have a big budget. I was wondering what will give me the most thump for my buck. 2 type R's, or 2 Audiobahn AW1206T's?

Alright since i really don't know much about subwoofers or amps (trying to learn really fast).

Here's the specs of each...

12" Audiobahn AW1206T
-1100w RMS
-20-500Hz
-96.4dB
-120oz magnet
-$140 each sub

12" Alpine SWR-122D (type R)
-1500w max
-500w RMS
-85dB
-23-500Hz
-$120 each

anyway, those are the specs. i assumed that the audiobahns were better since they have a higher RMS. but my friend said that the subs wouldn't put out 1100w and the alpine 500w were probably better...

also what kind of amp? he said hyphonics, but 500RMS to 2 channels is like 300 for an amp.

So what im saying is... how would my set up go, which subs should i get (planning on getting 2), ported boxes sealed (btw have about 32 inches in my trunk across... so yea). and which type of amp.

remember that im trying to get a banging system for really cheep.

additional info.. i drive a dodge avenger 99. got a kenwood faceplate. its a seperate trunk. 2 door car. i want something that will be heard from a couple blocks away, but not have that weird raddling sound from the outside (too many cars do that, sounds ike the car is falling apart, and no bass). Thanks in advance (also any info you could give me is helpful)... trying not to spend more than 600 also.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6910
the bahn if you want a loud way or the type r if you want to get aliol better on the sq

but the bahns are damn efficient and will be your best choice

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3669
12" type Rs on a hifonics 1206D

Gold Member

Post Number: 6911
find a hifonics bxi1606d on ebay and buy a pair of those two bahns it will work pretty good like i said they are very efficient subs

Post Number: 2
wow nice fast responces. So some people are saying type R's.. others saying the audiobahns, and McLovin is sayin ditch these two subs and get some hifonics.. which is the way to go? (whats the main differences? the bahns seem to have higher dB's and RMS.. but the alpines seem to have better sound quality... how big of a difference is there?)

Post Number: 3
oh wait a minute, 2 audiobahn votes, 1 type R vote (sry McLovin, i thought the hifonics was plural lol, so i thought u were talkin about subs) my bad.

Post Number: 4
another thing i noticed. If i get two bahns, and one hifonics amp... do i need a mono amp, type D, doul channel... because the bxi1606d is a mono, and says like 1000 somethin RMS at 1 channel... so can i like bridge it or something and get 1000RMS to 2 channels?? thanks :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Dubmc23

Rapid City, SD USA

Post Number: 17
12" type Rs on a hifonics 1206D
^^
i agree strongly...

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3670
if you gave your budget i bet we could match up a better option as well

Post Number: 5
well, i dont really want to spend over 500, but 600 is my max i suppose. (or right around there). that's the 2 subs, box, amp, and installation (w/ compasiter).

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1742
2 12" SD2.5's and Hifonics bxi1606d

www.audioque.com

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 2682
Ampkit
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18470

Amp
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17535

Subs
And two of those Alpine Type R's you mentioned above.

Silver Member
Username: Spivey17323

Dunellen, New jersey United states

Post Number: 583
get the type r's...

Gold Member
Username: Mike11202

DD9515G VFL 200.1 = : , Sewell, NJ US

Post Number: 1048
buy my 10" type r (new model) in a fisher customs ported box.. ill let it go cheap

Gold Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

SSD Wangin, Shawano, Wis... USA

Post Number: 1002
BILLY M- its called a capacitor and btw you dont need one

Post Number: 6
ok well a lot more people are saying go with the type R's. but umm, alright. why go with those rather than audiobahns? whats really the difference? because the specs for audiobahns look better than the type R's. (btw i should also mention that my other speakers are infinities. so the sound quality is in those speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6666
get something that will last......TYPE R

Gold Member

Post Number: 6913
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3j8jDv0T8RQ

thats my old really odl set up the bahns that ur talking about trust me they bang harder than type rs the only main drawback is their sq

Gold Member

Post Number: 1049
heres a video of my type r 10" on 450 watts.. you would think i had 2 12's back there, no one believes me when i tell them its one 10

its up for sale since i have my DD 9515g now.. so if you need a cheap loud system that sounds good let me know

Gold Member

Post Number: 1050
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v407/mike11202/Alpine%20Sub/?action=view&curre nt=MOV05837.flv

Post Number: 7
watching the video that mclovin put, it seemed like it bumped a lot harder than the ones mike put up.. but sounded really weird.. idk if that's just the video or what. but yea, if that's the sound quality seems a little too bad. and i would go with the type R.. if not, dayum that was bumpin insane. your roof was shaking.

Post Number: 8
ok, never mind, ive been looking at lots of type R videos and they sound pretty much the same as mclovins video.. so yeah these videos you cant really tell the sound quality in huh? but you can definatly see how much they bump. by the way, there is no audiobahn at best buy, so i was going to go there and compare the type R's to the bahn's for sound quality.. so which sub is closest to bahns for sq? also...
which sub will bump harder.. bahns or type R. because the videos looked like bahns, but idk. somebody tell me. (and if you say type R, then how come because it has 500rms and bahns have 1100rms)

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Racine, Wi

Post Number: 433
it all depends on enclosure design

Silver Member

Post Number: 587
the type r's are very unnderated. i know some people that put 800-1000 watts on them daily with no problems. type r imo. i used to have two tens and they bumped harrrrrrrrrrrd.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 377
it also depends on what you lke type R's are for sound quality not SPL (i cant remeber what it stands for) and the bahns are for the people that love there bass to be noticable out side there ride dont get me wrong any speaker can do that but everyone is designed differently type rs for people want good Sq banhs for SPL just depeneds on what you want and like

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1831
personally, i'd take the two r's.....

i'd first buy mike's sub and box and see how you like that one sub should get loud and sound nice....if its not loud enough, you can always buy another...

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3310
Type R > Audioburn

enough said.

Silver Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 661
"2 12" SD2.5's and Hifonics bxi1606d"

x934659347953695296593567936599

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12309
few ppl actually said a\bahn over type R - holy cr@p !

type R is the obvious answer ......

Post Number: 9
ok, so i am going to go with the type R's. now, what amp. definatly hifonics amp, but which one??.. and how should i wire it? (2ohms, bridged... i don't know about now). other people are saying that some boxes are better than others. whats a good box, that's cheep? (also, can i make a box myself, like anybody got any blueprints for a nice box.. don't wanna pay over like 50 for a box really). also, how to tune it? 35hz wtf? my friend has 2 type R's in his jeep... he's got em wired at 4ohms w/ a hifonics amp.. and it doesn't bump nearly as hard as i would want. whats up with that.

Ok so im goin w/ type R, final answer (unless type X's come down to $120 in the next week :-)).

Is it easy to wire?, or should i definatly have best buy do it? Capasiter? box? Amp? ohms? etc. looking for best performance. so loudness, but still sounding good i guess. remember its gonna be in my seperate trunk. don't want that stupid raddling sound like your trunk is falling appart.. want the bass noise. + the feeling like your rumbling inside of your body. or almost watching your rear view mirror fall off. (seen some vids where it barely shakes, and others where its insane).

Post Number: 10
bump.. anybody, what's the best setup for 2 type R's, with a hifonisc amp... in a small seperate trunk.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12320
2 12s 1242 model & 1 http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16368

this site has the subs @ good prices shipped too ....

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6705
ebay has them cheaper shipped....but that site is a good site rovin gave you too

Gold Member

Post Number: 6930
i got a brand new hifonics bxi2006d 2000 watts rms at 1 ohm

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
why do you have to have a hifonics amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6932
i had 3 wanted to do 4 of them but then i bought 2 kicker kx2500.1 and well i need 2 more of them... i sold the used hifonics and one new i got one new left

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
ok, wuts this like tuning boxes n stuff.. like if i wanted a ported box.. like 1.7cubic feet... ummm yea, what would you want it tuned to?... and how do you build that. (i might just have my sisters boyfriend build me a box. he built his garage).. yea, umm... anybody have any good box outiles... or just a really really good box, for like under 60?

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Santa Ana, Ca Resonant Eng...

Post Number: 1239
I had some bahns and for the money i would buy them again and again.

Silver Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 154
mike - whats your price for that 10" type R? (including shipping)

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1869
get mike's r

fyi a sheet of mdf costs like 24 bucks at homedepot and for less than another 20 bucks you can get 1. mdf cut 2. wood glue 3. drywall screws 4. 3/32 drill bit

lots of people say dont get your wood cut at home depot bc they suck.....but i say, if they F it up, go back there and kick up dust and make a scene until they either refund your money to go somewhere else or just recut it til its perfect....

Silver Member

Post Number: 159
bump for mike to give me a new price tag.

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
bump

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Bump... what specs for a box? 2 type R's 12"... what kind of port? like tuned to what?... etc.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us