Cheap walmart amp

Username: Lukesta

Iowa

Post Number: 1
I bought this cheapo amp from Walmart VR brand, and i noticed it's THD is at 5% at the rms rating, the amp says it does 50 rms x 2 at 4 ohms at 1 khz, i measured it with a dmm and it actually did that, i was thinkin if it would even hit that high, plus this amp looks like it's class A, and it runs hot, it mght do for now for my front speakers which are Pioneer 3 way 6*8's, i'll prolly leave the gain on minimum since i dread how it will sound bein even slightly turned up a lil. suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3268
Those VR amps are crap, I've seen a ton of those blown.

And you can't measure amplifier output with only a DMM. Since they rated it at 5% THD, that amp won't do 50 real watts, it will clip. 1% is the accepted standard for maximum THD to be considered "clean" power.

I seroiusly doubt that amp is a true class A.

It should work for your 6x8s though. For a while a least.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4946
you should had bought profile instead

Username: Lukesta

Iowa

Post Number: 2
well the amp turned on and powered my 6x8's pretty good today, the sound quality was pretty nice prolly cuz i had everything flat on my headunit and nothin boosted and i set my gain with a 80hz tone at volume 9 of 18, i have a low end pioneer and it clips at halfway it sucks, and the amp clipped at only 1.8 volts, i turned it up more and just got pure distortion, this amp blows

Silver Member
Username: Volfenhagking1600

SSD Wangin, Shawano, Wis... USA

Post Number: 986
ive had one of those amps for 3.5 years no joke and it hasnt blown yet...but i strongly recommend saving your money for something better

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5230
Be careful or you'll let out the stinky and magic smoke.

Username: Nateski

Mn

Post Number: 1
i will say this wlmart amps are cheap but the VR are solid amps for a 6x8 i had a 200 watt VR powering my 2 12 inch alpines they bumped

i have been doing instals for years and stay the f**k away from profile

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1397
post number 1 you plug VR and flame Profile??

wow

Someone's going to have a short stay.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4984
hahha lol opti i cannot believe that post, OMG nathan please you should do a lil research before posting.

Bronze Member
Username: Hhs_kid

Post Number: 11
Actually, Profile amps might be the best cheap amps out there. I had the AP1000M running first my Polk db212-2 box and then my Kicker CVRs 12" DVC 4 ohm subs and it only got a little hot and made those subs pound like a RF or Kicker but it wasn't class D so it wasn't very efficient. If you want something good and cheap, go with Profile but you should always try to save up more for a better amp. My Profile was good but it can't even compete with my Memphis Class D amps! Oh and in case anyone's wondering, yes the Kickers did present a 4 ohm total load on the amp but since the subs were 2 ohm total, the amp had to work a little harder. But it never did overheat.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 323
i had the 2 channel walmart sold it sucks,i thank it only done 200 rms @ 4 ohms bridged,hooked up to a sony 10,but that was the first amp i ever had,still got the sub,it aint been hooked up in ages,but it wouldnt do 200 real rms,and it would have help if it had more than just input level(gain)

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 325
thats the amp i had it suck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us