Will I need another battery?

Username: 8ball

Post Number: 6
I'm planning on installing a system with an output of 1500w from the amps in a mk 4 volkswagen golf... Except i have no idea as to whether i will need to install another battery, just uprate the one i have, or whether the alternator will cope... Any advice would be really helpful!!}

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10353
1500w on a stock alt and all the batts in the world won't catch up. You have to put back what you take first. Upgrading your alt is where I'd start. What's the stock alt amp rating?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3259
Your sotck alt may be able to handle that. After you install the system you can get an HO alt if it's needed.

And like paul said the HO alt is what you may need, not a battery.

Post Number: 7
Erm I think the stock alt rating is 90 amps... although I'm relatively new to the world of car audio so really not sure as to whether it would cope... If this isn't powerful enough, what kind of rating would i need?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3271
It may be ok, the only way to know is to try it. If you end up needing an HO alt, just get the biggest one available.

Post Number: 9
After much searching, found out that the maximum output for the amp is 105A... and stock alt is definately 90A... but surely the amp wouldnt be using anywhere near it's maximum... would it? :S
To me it's looking like a new alt is going to be necessary... but what do you think? You're the experts!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6502
Jamie, you need to first install the amp, then see if it'll handle it. As long as you don't listen to test tones all day, you should be good.
Upgrading to a stronger alternator is always better, but sometimes, not required.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us