Turbo lag

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

-apem

Post Number: 15328
what exactly is turbo lag. i was looking at the BMW 335i convertible and it has turbo. but to get rid of turbo lag, it has 2 small turbos. i don't know what they mean by that.

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 684
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger#Lag

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 685
A turbo takes time to build pressure because it uses exhaust as a operator and pressure takes time to build. If you have ever driven a turbo'd car, you mash the pedal and it takes a half second or whatever for it to really start moving. The lag is the time between when you press the pedal and when pressure it built and it boost is gained. Thats about how can i summarize it.

In a supercharger, it is driven by the belts. The power instantaneous and you won't ever notice a lag of any sort.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3545
It is the time from when you push the gas pedal the engine produces enough hot exhaust to spin the primary impeller which thus turns the shaft for the secondary compressor impeller. After all that it still has to compress in the incoming charge to gain boost all of this causes a lag and dependant on engine size, closeness to exhaust and weight of impellers will determine how much lag. What manufacturers have done was use a secondary smaller turbo to spin the big turbo up prematurely to help reduce the lag. Most lag is noticed in everyday driving and in drag racing the engine spends most of its time at the upper rpm range so lag is greatly reduced...Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5133
Chad,you know what it feels like when Vtec kicks in?It's just like that but far more drastic :-)

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3588
yea.. my boost kicks in right around 2500-3000rpm

oh course it all depends on a lot of variances .. distance the air has to travel, amount of bends, size of the turbo (bigger = more lag), type of spool wheel (twinscrool = no turbo lag) .. then you got the dual small turbos which have very little lag.. 1 small turbo = little lag and little torque but if you have two your torque is back with still a small amount of lag :-)

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1755
"Chad,you know what it feels like when Vtec kicks in?It's just like that but far more drastic "

solid description right there in my opinion, seriously

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 5108
dont get a beamer

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2672
i think my rav4 4 cylinder engine has some tubo lag!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us