Cooling?

Silver Member
Username: Cplaya280

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 714
just wanted to know what are some things i can use to keep my amp cooler so i can play it for longer periods of time. I heard of fans and stuff like that but like what kind of fans and how can i hook something up to hook it up. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2893
any pc type fan is fine. If there are vents in the amp, use the fan to pull the hot air out. as far as wireing, I run mine off the rem for power, and the amps ground. (my rem is on a relay). Your stock rem may or may not support the additional fan load, so you may need a relay if you go that route. Other options are a simply switch, or a keyed power source. Problem with the switch, you may forget and kill you bat, doubtful, but anyway. the second keyed option will make the fan come on regardless if the amp is on. I found the extra effert to make the rem work was worth it.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 414
my amp has no vents, and I was thinking about buying a car fan and just making it blow directly on the amp whenever the vehicle is on. will it help cool at all? or is it just moving air around?
I'm thinking about putting the amp that doesn't have too much airspace around it.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 717
well i got a kicker zx1500.1 so not positive if it has any vents. So its better to pull the air out of the amp verses blowing air onto the amp?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2896
attach it right to the heatsink, blowing air on it.dblstick tape works good.And try to create an air space under the amp mounting if you can. Ive used 2 1/4 nuts under the mounting screws to elevate the amp slightly, so heat has a place to escape.

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 718
what is right to the heatsink? like where is that located at on the amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 418
yeah I was thinking of having the fan blow air throughout the space underneath the amp, would that work?
and I don't know what a heatsink is....my bad....

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1753
check your amp dude....i had a zx1500 on a stock alternator and i bumped for easily 2 hours straight decently hard, and it was warm, but was fine

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 719
yeah could the problem be because for the powerwire im only using half the strands because the full 2 gauge wire wont fit in the hole because two wires got stuck together and melted the plastic smaller so now i have not as much space im still using about half the 2 gauge wire. could this be a reason to

Silver Member

Quakertown, PA USA

Post Number: 721
bump

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2859
You can't use any fan to cool an amp unless it has something to pull against. If you opened up your computer case, all of the fans inside would do nothing. You need to either mount the fan in the actual case of the amp (not easy to do) or build an enclosure that sits flush against the heat vents of the amp and mount a couple high speed fans to remove the hot air.

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 675
put the amp in the box, so when it hits it blows on it yay problem solved close thread

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 431
well the problem I have, is that my RD is just a solid case, no vents what so ever. What should I do?

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 380
^ ha, i actually laughed

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2907
Just to add, I picked one of these up today and wired it into the fans power, and it sits on the amps heatsink at the top. Its set for 125 degrees.
Now my fan only runs when needed.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Quirky

SA, Texas

Post Number: 145
haha just my car sitting in the parking lot gets above 115 degrees. black landcruiser in Texas summer

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 443
what is that?

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2909
its a thermal switch. Theres a metal disk inside that flexes at a certain temp. The one I got "makes" at 125 degrees. That means when it senses 125 degrees it opens the circuit, turning on the fan, and turns off the fan when temp drops below 125. Now my fan only runs when the temp is high. You can get them in diffrent temps that connect when the temp is made, or disconnect when the temp is made, the later being the kind that send amps into protect when themal overload sets in.
Also my amp has vents and a fan inside. I mounted my fan so it pulls thru the existing fan, like a turbo boast.

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3561
MArc, tell me that isn't your amp install? Polo..

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 444
so what if my amp has no vents nor does it have a fan....is there any way I can rig a fan or something to help cool the amp?

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10379
"so what if my amp has no vents nor does it have a fan....is there any way I can rig a fan or something to help cool the amp?

Take a step back and look at that question again.

Silver Member

ATX, Texas

Post Number: 445
well, its a serious question....not meaning putting the fan inside of the amp....

RD makes square, pretty much sealed amps....

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2913
"MArc, tell me that isn't your amp install? Polo.."

lol, why you ask? dont like it huh... whatever. Dont hurt my feelings.

You want a laugh? Check this.

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/showthread.php?t=268249

Again. I dont care what other ppl say. Its mine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us