Having problems...

Bronze Member
Username: Revenga333

Post Number: 44
So I replaced my two old subwoofers (one of which never sounded right) with two new ones. But now I put these in and one of these sounds wrong too just like last time and they're brand new.

So I'm guessing that there is something wrong with my box on one side because its doing the same thing with this new sub as the old one. The sub just sounds bad when turned up.

Any suggestions on what it could be or how to fix the problem? Am I going to have to get a new box or is there certain things I should check and possibly fix on this one?

Any suggestions or any further help is appreciated.

Also, what gauge speaker wire should I be running from the amp to the subs for up to 900 watts per subwoofer?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Clover GroveIm rich btch...

Post Number: 389
what subs, amp do you have and do u have a ported or sealed box

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
two Eclipse SW8200's 12" in a sealed box. I think maybe theres soemthing wrong with the box somewhere on the not working side.

Gold Member
Username: Mgbcs

Lincoln, Nebraska

Post Number: 1604
I don't think a sealed box can just "not work."

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1743
could be 2 things ...

wiring is wrong

enclosure isnt giving the subs enough space ... those it should be at least 3 cuft for those subs.. they excel better in a ported box... just like most eclipse subs ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
How could wiring be wrong if one sounds right and one sounds wrong and it's running bridged on 1 mono amp.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1745
i didnt say it was wrong i said it could be ... only u will know that cuz there in front of you

u might be suffocating those subs ... depending on ur box

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Okay, so I was playing with them to find out what the problem is. What confuses me is the one gets louder but it seems like at certain frequencies it sounds kinda bad, and the other one always sounds good but its not quite as loud (not much less though in loudness.)

When I bridged them together it just sounded like they definitely were not getting enough power. My amp should be sufficient at 1800 watts at 2 ohms even though it's a little overrated because it's power acoustik. But the subs are rated at 670 RMS.

So my guess is it is either because of my crappy 18 gauge speaker wire (that I'm going to replace today with 12 gauge) I have running from the amp to the subs or it's because my alternator just isn't good enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 601
Does the box have terminals? If so, try switching the + with the - on the side that sounds bad. If that doesn't help try yanking the subs out and make sure they're wired right inside the box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us