Dodge SRT-4

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1736
Anyone know much about the reliability of these cars...haha they're the definition of cheap speed...0-60 in 6 flat but they did not offer srt-4's with rear power windows....at all

but honestly, anyone know much about the reliability...they suggest premium gas and they're turbocharged...turbos usually = horrible reliability but....

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6240
ghey cars imo....

Silver Member
Username: Talon01

12 audioque 2.5 144.8 ..., Pa Usa

Post Number: 142
there actually pretty good and easily upgraded

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5230
car for a gay_ man who thinks he's a street racer.

Gold Member
Username: Loudon

Post Number: 1741
well not all turbo;d cars are horrible reliability ... my girl has a turboed saab and its a beast ...

srt-4s are good for the money .. ive seen em go for 15 ... good budget speed demon

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 5231
"good budget speed demon"

for a ga_y man!

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1737
ahha yea im not gonna lie they're trashy and way over the top, but i kinda like em, but thats probably bc im 17....but then again, i could dust most of the cars on the road

Bronze Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 90
Used WRX >> srt-4 all cats...

Silver Member
Username: Gavbo211

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 597
they're quick, though i don't know much about dusting too many cars.. lol. if i was you and looking for a car like that in that range i'd check out a WRX or an older Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. for the price of that srt-4 you could pick one of those up and have some left over cash for upgrades if going fast is your thing.

As a side note, i have a buddy that picked up a used wrx with low miles on it. he put about 3 grand under the hood.. and it would do a lot more than "dust" an srt-4.. it'd blow the doors off that bi*tch.. lol

I dunno if you're set on the srt-4, but i just thought id throw some suggestions your way.

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 598
by the way, i think srt-4s are pretty good lookin if you put some nice aftermarket wheels on them.. but i just can't get over the interior! they upgraded everything, yet still left the sh*itty a*ss neon interior in there.. ugly as hell and full of cheap looking plastic.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2438
but its still a neon. and fwd no fun cept in reverse. but its a neon how manu people with neons get layed cal? my 85 subaru would get more gina then an srt.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2439
but its still a neon. and fwd no fun cept in reverse. but its a neon how manu people with neons get layed cal? my 85 subaru would get more gina then an srt.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1738
believe me, i'd do anything for a wrx....but....wrx's and evos are singlehandedly the most expensive cars to insure kids on....

we have a 1998 eclipse gs...they're sh!tty and reliability is godawful, and she's only got about 115k miles....

"going fast" isnt my thing, i just want a car thats quick and gets good gas mileage for like 14 grand....i wanna sell my cherokee and i think i can get like 10-11 for it and my dad would cover the difference....

i was thinkin tc's, but they're a little pricey...older model civic si's are kinda ugly....i want somethin quick, stick, a moonroof, less than 50k miles, and gets 25 mpg....preferably newer than 2003...

btw "quick" for me...well isn't haha 0-60 in like 7 flat is "quick"

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 407
VW Golf GTI
Mazda 3 turbo

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1740
i try not to use my car to get 'gina'......my rediculous good looks usually get the job done

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1741
mazdaspeed 3's are very expensive...

vw's 1.8t motor = very unreliable..

haha sorry to shut the suggestions down, keep em comin though

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6244
a tc does 0-60 in jsut aroud 7 flat....a little more actually if i recall correctly

just throwing that out there for you

i second the VW GTi, mainly cause i wanted one....how about trying to find a jetta gli? their 'quick' from what ive heard

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1891
Tiburon?? j/p

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1742
jetta gli is like one of my dream cars, but the 04+ (really sweet ones with 19" bbs rims and wht not) arent even under 20k yet haha...

i love gti's too....vw's are sweet, but itd have to prolly be japanese or american bc my dads buyin it not me

im kinda likin the 02+ si's....kinda weird, but theyre growing on me...cheap too!!

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2440
hahahaahahaha good looks do it. lmao. just get rims for your jeep or trade it in for an srt8 cherokee 13 sec qtr mile.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1743
in all honestly, i would give my left nut for a brand new 08 grand cherokee srt8 hennessey turbo edition

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1893
I love all of the new jeeps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
mazdaspeed protege? most are a funky orange color; i've never driven/rode in 1 but heard good things.

and dont get a 02 si those are ghey...more than a neon.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2441
i like the tcs personally. then you could put tc sounds subs in it.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5099
"ghey cars imo...."

Lol.Coming from someone who drives a Scion TC.Funny thing is my buddy's Modded 2k2 Wrx got dusted by a Turbonetic equipped Srt4.Those cars will sh1t on a Scion TC that's for sure so I wouldn't talk too much trash and I see lots of 16 year old girls driving them :-)

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 599
i like the looks of the tc's too. plus there are lots of "go fast" parts for those things.

Hurricane, i've seen those cars in blue too, and they look pretty sharp imo. plus, mazdas have good reliability as long as you stay away from the RX-8s.. lol. i will second that opinion as a good choice.

I still like the Mitsu Eclipse GSX though.. a turbo and all wheel drive.. what more could you ask for in a pocket rocket?? lol.

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 601
Rob, I will admit.. i've seen some meeeean srt4s out there.. but how much did he have dropped into that thing? just curious.

plus i still can't get over the interior.. lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5101
Not sure man.You usually don't get to see under the guys hood but he said after he dusted my buddy that he was running a Turbonetics turbo and some of their other products.Those cars are still fast from the factory though and my friends Wrx is no slouch either.I mean AWD vs. FWD my friend should have been able to dust that SRT but nope.

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 602
yeah that's what i was thinking.. that wrx should have taken that thing unless he had some pretty decent upgrades. though i do agree.. those srt4s definatley arent slugs. plus turbonetics makes some good stuff.. i can imagine that turbo ran him a pretty penny. plus you listed the main reason i like the wrx or eclipse gsx more than the srt4.. AWD FTW!

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2442
evolution is my favorute car right now well the 7s or even an infiniti g35 not super fast but says i have fckin money

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2443
*7 meant evo 8

Gold Member

Post Number: 5103
Yea...there was once talk about a 4wd Neon though =/ I wonder what ever happened to that,they probably realized that it wasn't cost effective to add another axle,diff case,transfer case and all that other good stuff.

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1744
evo X's are in the new car and driver and look awesome!!

rotaries = bad

mazda 3's dashboard = totally integrated, a new HU is not a reality..

it comes down to the si vs. the tc vs. the srt-4

srt-4 has the most potential in my book...a solid borla exhaust (non ricey) and a blowoff valve with a big azz cold air intake and you're golden

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2444
but its an american ricer guess i dont like that. tcs arent super fast but i like them the most out of your choices. just get an 88 civic hatch DX! no speed but spl would be awesome

Silver Member
Username: Shade

Moxee, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 408
i'd get the si

but to go back to AWD i hear that if u dont' rotate ur tires every like 3k mi, eventually u'll fukc up the AWD, any truf?

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 603
man i still don't know why no one will consider the eclipse gsx.. lol. when done right those things can be beasts! and you can get them for a damn good price. case and point:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-Eclipse-Gsx-Highly-modded-400-awhp_W0QQitemZ 250168838347QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6352QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 769
gsx you can prob get for like 5-6 grand. Get some parts to rebuild and upgrade turbo for about another 5 grand. and you got urself a car that will totall sh!t on a srt4. I've driven a srt4...its alright drive....but fo real its sorta whack.

some1 said it above - a cheap street racer wannabe.

GSX FTW!

Gold Member

Post Number: 5108
For a stock 4 cylinder car that's cheap the neon SRT4 is hard to beat.It sh1ts on the V-Spec Nissan,sh1ts on the Civic Si,sh1ts on the Mazda Speed Protege,my god those are some pieces of sh1t(Also very slow).I can't think of any 4 cylinders that are faster for the money at the moment,what do you guys think is faster with all stock parts and stock tuning?I'm not trying to start sh1t I'm just wondering your opinions.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2449
but it wont sht on anything with the sr20det motor. ive seen a 240sx wih a red top smoke those lil neons. and it onlt had a exhaust kit on it. but no kidding on the gsx there is one here that does low 11s. but i saw hat car get ra.ped by a 68 camaro. hehe street racing is actually pretty damm big here

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 5098
its a dodge what else do you need to know?

just kidding

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

Do Work Fi Audio

Post Number: 1867
unfortunately the srt4 is pretty much the fastest factory 4cyl produced...

sr20det(t)'s are nice, but you have to mod them a bit to see what they can really do

i've recently been introduced to v8's however by messing around in my step-bros 87(?) z28 w/ a bored 350. its pretty fun theres no stock 4cyl taking on that lol

s10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/ebsupra/?action=view&current=SL730093.jpg
s10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/ebsupra/?action=view&current=SL730092.jpg

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6248
"Lol.Coming from someone who drives a Scion TC.Funny thing is my buddy's Modded 2k2 Wrx got dusted by a Turbonetic equipped Srt4.Those cars will sh1t on a Scion TC that's for sure so I wouldn't talk too much trash and I see lots of 16 year old girls driving them "

they are ghey IMO....and when did i talk trash? i dont recall ever saying that a tc is faster or saying anything close to that. infact i do recall making fun of the tc's 0-60 time above....i know my car isnt fast thats why i dont race people....if i wanted a fast car i wouldnt have got what i got. and the whole 16 year old girl driving my car, yea they do, sue me. looks wise, id take a tc over the srt-4 everyday. speed wise, srt-4 over tc anyday....

Gold Member

Post Number: 5110
"i've recently been introduced to v8's however by messing around in my step-bros 87(?) z28 w/ a bored 350. its pretty fun theres no stock 4cyl taking on that lol"

Of course man,you have twice the engine :-) Yanks,don't take offense,Scion TCs are nice looking with a bit of mods that's for sure but they're slow as heck,that's all I see wrong with them but they're also cheap as sh1t.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
dude a 2004ish WRX is the best option. AWD ftw.

Gold Member

Team Revolution

Post Number: 2454
my 85 subaru wagon is awd. top speed 65mph down hill. shes is gangster. TOP THAT SRT-4 lmao. the srt is a rough ride from what ive heard. i also like the tc. almost got one. wrx and evo in a league of there own. idk though anything decently new is cool with me.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3582
you mentioned get good gas mileage? if you want to get good gas mileage don't get a turbocharger car.. or any car using forced induction to create more power

i picked up my 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.GT for a little over 15k .. of course I have a hookup..

car has 59k miles and ive been running stage 2 for a while.. no issues yet.. Subarus are suppose to be very reliable and you can find them pretty cheap.. your best bet is find a turbocharged leggacy or older impreza wagon if your worried about insurance

i really like the look of the impreza wagons :P .. nothing funnier than a nice car getting burned by a "grocery getter"

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 605
i love the new legacys.. they are really clean looking. plus it's a good size four door with some power. you don't see many of them modded (and infact i don't see too many around here in general) but that engine has toooons of potential.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3583
the new leggys suck :-) .. 07-08 have stutter issues that the dealer has yet to fix

the ones to buy are the 05-06 .. and there are tons modded.. check out www.legacygt.com :-)

and of course the motor has a bunch of potential.. its the 2.5L out of an STI

only things that differ is the STI uses a rotated turbo.. VF39 a different TMIC and intake.. the leggy uses a VF40

Silver Member

JL Audio 10w3v2, IL US

Post Number: 606
yeah yeah i was talkin about the 05-06.. i havent seen the 07-08s yet. what's the difference between them?

and here's some stuff for call.. if you can't tell im' bored.. lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Subaru-2-5-Legacy-GT-Limited-FULLY-LOADED_W0 QQitemZ290161877590QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31869QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Impreza-WRX-2-0-liter-TURBO-AWD-5spd-Manual- 227HP_W0QQitemZ140161047199QQihZ004QQcategoryZ31868QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-5speed-Black-Nice-and-Shi ny_W0QQitemZ300154887754QQihZ020QQcategoryZ31868QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie wItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-AWD-5-Speed-7K-Miles-LOOK _W0QQitemZ180162930975QQihZ008QQcategoryZ31868QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewI tem

a little over budget.. but that one ^^ is my favorite by far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Dodge-Neon-SRT4-Black-Low-Miles-Extras-Wow_W 0QQitemZ130157609738QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6204QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-SRT4-Black-Mint-condition_W0QQitemZ190155875 107QQihZ009QQcategoryZ6204QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SRT4-Moonroof-Excellent-Must-See-and-Drive-Save-B ig_W0QQitemZ320157161935QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6204QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView Item

probably the best deal ^^

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Silver-2003-Mazda-Protege-MazdaSpeed_W0QQitemZ320 163346667QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6326QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-GSX-NOT-TALON_W0QQitemZ20 0155178001QQihZ010QQcategoryZ6352QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1750
those are some nice rides^^

buttt......

my family personally owns 2 eclipses and my cousin has had like 3 gsx's over the past 3 years and they are extremely unreliable...our 98 eclipse gs = piece of sh!t, my moms 03 gts spyder is nice, (only 15k miles) but i swear to you, my dad has put nearly 10k into just maintenance into the 98, and its currently sitting dead in the garage....eclipses = sick if you know what you're doing

and were talking easily 1500-2000 a HALF for insurance on a wrx for a 17 year old...yes even if i found a great deal, my dad isnt gonna dish out 4000 + for insurance alone on a wrx....

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 355
lol if you worried about insurance buy a 1994 chrysler lebaron convertable lol my mom owns one and thats waht i pay insurances on b.c. its cheaper for some reason

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1751
....well no offense, but a crappier car will be less....

my jeep costs a lot bc its an suv but apparently its not even close to what a wrx would run

out of all those, the si would prolly be cheapest (other than the gsx) bc its older, slower, a honda, etc...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
which si the '00 normal or the '02 crapback?

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 1754
02 crapback haha...the shifter/bodystyle/everything is weird but idk i kinda like it...

not to mention my car computer said i averaged 14.5 mpg my last tank driving like a grandma and my brother gets about 35 mpg in the city driving like a bat outta hell....

Gold Member

Post Number: 3586
don't get a WRX .. get a Legacy or Impreza Wagon :-) ...but of course if you have a car loan on the car expect to pay a lot because youll need full coverage

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Moody AFB, GA United States

Post Number: 1792
The SRT-4 is fast for the price. But reliability is an issue. I've seen a lot of people struggle with engine internals and chassis integrity.

My suggestion is to look into a Cobalt. You can get 600HP out of that little guy with a stock bottom end with a simple turbo setup (SS model only). Chevy did a killer job making it strong and well-balanced. Hard part is getting someone to share their "secrets" on a turbo setup. Lots of stuff out there for the supercharger though...

If that's not your particular cup of tea, look into the WRX and STI. I've know a lot of guys that are really happy with them and parts seem to be pretty easy to get a hold of.

Just remember that in a small car like that, the chassis IS NOT setup to handle a lot of power. So expect to spend a good portion of your money doing bracket upgrades and adding braces...

Traction is also an issue... More power = more traction. Bigger tires are a pain in small cars like that....

Just my .02.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us