New System for my truck - suggestions?

Username: Apache31

Vacaville, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Hi Guys,

How much of a system do I need in the cab of my Classic Chevy Tuck to achieve good sound? I want to be able to crank it up ocassionally without distorting or blowing something but Do NOT want my bass so powerful that people at stop lights feel my bass.

Head unit capacity
Number of speakers, type and size
Do I need an amp?

I was thinking of speakers in the kick panels and speakers under the seat.

Appreciate your help.
Rich

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 568
Do you have a Reg or Ext cab in your truck? Also what is your budget? How much money are you looking to spend on HU, speakers, amp, box, wiring, and subwoofer all together?

Username: Apache31

Vacaville, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Hi. Thanks for taking the time. It's a regular cab. I'd spend $1000 on it if I had to but I'm fairly certain that at that price, I would have waaaaaay too much of a system and I don't need to blow the doors off of the thing. I just want some good clean sound. I'm not into hip hop at all. I don't have room for a box. So my bass is going to have to be mounted under the seat. I have seen those under seat speakers but don't know if they are bass only or if they have mids and highs built into them as well. Was thinking 2-ways in the kick panels and the bass under the seat. Hell, I don't know. You're the pro right!?!

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 601
lol, well, I can't say that im a pro but, one day i'd like to be one but, that isn't going to stop me from helping you out.

First things first, the HU. personally, I prefer Pioneer head units because of the built in amp and eq settings. Mostly other people like Alpine HU's. Stay away from companies like Pyle, Dual, Sony, and...too many to list... If your going to be buying off the internet, try this web site out: www.sonicelectronix.com . I buy mostly everything from this site and never had a bad experience.

Next up is speakers. I really don't know what the speaker size in your truck is, so next time you post please tell! After you post, I can go more into detail about your speakers.

After speakers is the Subwoofer! One thing I am going to stress about are subwoofers that go under your seat. I have never seen one of those subs perform any better than your common speaker. There horrible and a waist of money. There are two things that I can recommend for you on your truck. The first is shallow mount subwoofers. They should be able to fit into your cab, but it wont perform as well as a "normal" subwoofer would in a larger enclosure. The second option is with kicker. Kicker does sell custom enclosures that will fit in tight spaces. You may be able to find a nice 8" L7 or even a 10" L7 to fit back there.

The last thing is the amp and wiring, but we really can't get too much into that until you have chosen your subwoofer :-)

If things come to worse and you are unable to fit and enclosure in your cab, you can always purchase some nice component speakers (6.5's) and put an amp to those which will sound good also.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us