Wiring Problem

Bronze Member
Username: Fish5

IN

Post Number: 29
O.K. We have a question. We are installing a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X591 head unit, a Sundown SAX-100.2 amp, and Rainbow SLC 230 speakers. We've run the following cables:

1) 4 gauge power wire (with 50 amp fuse) from the battery to the amp located in the trunk.

2) 4 gauge power from the ground terminal of the amp to a screw in the floor of the trunk.

3) 2 8 gauge speaker wires to 2 crossovers in the trunk.

4) 2 8 gauge speaker wires from the 2 crossovers to 2 woofers in the doors.

5) 2 16 gauge speaker wires from the 2 crossovers to 2 tweeters in the doors.

6) An 18 gauge primary wire from the remote terminal of the amp to the power control wire of the head unit.

7) The rear speakers (which work fine), ignition wire, battery wire, and ground wire from the head unit are connected to the wiring harness of the car.

The head unit is behaving properly.

The problem we have is that every possible connection of the RCA cable between the head unit and the amp causes the protection LED to light up on the amp and no sound from the door speakers.

We would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1693
2) where the ground wire is grounded to the trunk the paint is scrapped off so its metal to metal right?

also are the RCA's good with no cuts in the wires or shorts?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3230
Take an mp3 player and use a cable like this

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103859&cp

to connect it to the amplifier. If the problem goes away, its the HU or RCA cables. If you still get protect mode its either the amp or someting else downstream.

Bronze Member

IN

Post Number: 30
everything's in good quality; it's all brand new, so that shouldn't be the problem

snarl, idk about the ground wire connection, my dad did it, and i'm at school, so i'll check this afternoon; but i don't think he scraped any paint off

Bronze Member

IN

Post Number: 31
okay, so i went home and checked the ground wire connection, and it had come undone; so we put it back in (drilled a hole in the floor, put a screw in, and then a ring terminal off of the screw) and so that fixed the protection mode problem, but my speakers still don't work. I can get power to my rear speakers (they're stock), but nothing out of my components. the blue power light on the amp turns on, but nothing else happens. any ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

BME

Post Number: 3327
Check the settings on your amp. What did you set them to?

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 2887
Well. Being that its a 2 channel amp, and your tryiny to run , what 4 speakers? ( 2 stock, and comps) that may be the problem. Whats the final ohm load of the comps? 4 ohm?. And I assume the stock are 4 as well. So if your running it at 2 ohms per channel, it should be ok. Make sure the setting is set to "full". Also try swapping out the working stock speaker terminals for the comps. see if they power up.

Heres the PDF for it.
http://www.sundownaudio.com/amps/SAX-100.2%20SAZ-1500D%20manual_0607.pdf

If you have a meter, check the ohm load at the crossover, Before and after.

Bronze Member

IN

Post Number: 32
there's now sound coming out of the front speakers, but i don't think the amp is powering them, the blue light is on on the amp, but the remote light isn't on, and it doesn't do anything. all of the settings were initially set to lowest (how it came), but i went through w/ a screw driver and changed all of them, and the only one that affected anything was sensitivity, but that didn't do much.

marc, the rear speakers are run off of the hu, not the amp, so that shouldn't be the problem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us