Trunk as box?

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3590
I was thinking about trying a new expierement and was wondering if anyone has try\seen this done before. I plan on sealing off my trunk with a few layers of sound proofing both matt and liquid. the trunk (rought guess) is about 12cu or so, what i want to do once it is sealed is make a piece of wood fitted to where the rear of the back seat covers the trunk and seal\bolt down the board with a 18" dd9500 built in, with the port being built firing into the car as well in the same board.... it would be easily removable and able to drop seat back in

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6532
I saw a setup like yours but it was sealed not ported with like 12 mtx 10 6000's on a sony 1200 watt amp he hit like 137 138 db and everytime he hit a test tone the trunk like whined afterward ....I assume like a compression decompression affect and resonanting panels...think it was a honda or a neon I forget....if you do it let us know how it works but im assuming youll flex panels pretty good

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6533
might have been more than 12 10's

Gold Member

Post Number: 3593
btw this is a 03 cadi cts... im going to try to get started somtime this weekend

Bronze Member
Username: Crossfired

Post Number: 40
I've done this meny times and it can sound good. I've done about 10 installs with 4 8" woofers across the rear deck.
You dont need to use all of the trunk, about 1/3 will work well.

I built a wall in one install that came strait down, leaving a 3ft x 1.5ft x 1 ft. (4.5 Qubic feet) right behind the seats. Mounted two tens and it was super sounding.

I like to use these eights :

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-854

Gold Member

Post Number: 3597
Im trying to work with what space i have to make it easier; i can always add sand bags or what not in the trunk to take up some of the space (not really sandbags, but dead mass) to make the CU decrease. I have the 9500 already but need to get it reconed to a 18; i could do a 15 but i decided its easier to work with a 18 with that much space. Can i get some vids\pics of what you did?

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5092
I thought you didn't want to destroy your car?So much for that...

Silver Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 207
I've done it several times, I have done different combo's 2 12", 3 12", 4 8", 4 10", You can do 15" if there is enough room, here has to be enough body to work with, and yes the can be made to look good and safe after if you want to sell truck after, I use diamond plate to repair bed and inside the same but I carpet inside. I liked the 3 12" and the 4 10" the best!! You will need to make a good seal in between cab and bed, camper shell places have boot material, that along with pipe insulation foam and screws and washers, lot's of screws and washers.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12245
interesting idea but has me wondering ir ur trunk will flap like a flag in the wind since with regualr sub boxes there is already so much rattleing ......

Gold Member

Post Number: 3599
Rob; its not going to be permanent, and would test my sound deadening(4-5 layers or more of matting and liquid), the baffle will mount with the same mounts the seat uses so no drilling or anything is needed. I also wont have it loud most of the time its in; probally only 1000rms or so but will be able to give it 2-3Krms when wanted. Its only test projects until i get a car for SPL but if it works good i will still keep it for drop in SPL if i want to goto a comp or somthing.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us