F^&^^*ck buying a used car

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1097
this is probably the most frustrating thing i hav eever done. i can't find a car that i want and is realiable. i'm looking at a 2003 lincoln aviator but i heard reliability sucks, is that true? any other suggestions on an suv under 17000?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6836
ford explorer

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1728
reliability shouldn't suck, i think they have the same engines as same year explorers/mountaineers

Bronze Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 65
toyota 4runner. basically a step up from an explorer is every catagory

Bronze Member
Username: Sqhoe

Huntington, IN USA

Post Number: 46
In my book Ford= Reliability sucks. Buy a Tahoe.

Gold Member
Username: Frkkevin

Resonant Engineering..., Fort Worth... Email

Post Number: 3555
tahoe FTW

..bros got one at his lot for 15k so you can find them in your price range for sure

ive seen range rovers in that range as well

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 656
yeah, do yourself a favor and buy a GM manufactured vehichle.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 587
GM ftmfw! I've loved my yukon and my tahoe. For 15k you could easily find a 2002+ yukon/tahoe/suburban. Maybe even a danali if you look hard enough. 16mpg city is about as good as you get with larger suvs, and better than some smaller ones too. A very new blazer would be in that range too, but I'd get a tahoe/yukon.

Silver Member
Username: Jesse59672

OKLAHOMA

Post Number: 657
the 4.2 vortec trailblaze isn't out of the option either. just depends on what you need it for.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5038
With the way gas is...I'd stay away from a larger SUV and look at Escapes,Explorers or maybe a 2 door Blazer.A cyclone would be sick :-)Or was it a typhoon?I can't remember which one was the pick up or anything.

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 3978
or you could just look to a full size car gas is to much and look at europe prices its about 6 bucks a gallon its not going down at all anytime soon its only going to go up so you might want to think twice before getting a suv

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Money man, blowin

Post Number: 2888
new body style 4runner or aviator would be good... 4 runner would get the best gas mileage

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6491
When it comes to reliability, US made cars don't have the best record/history.
If that's a major concern for you, then try Toyota/Honda/Acura. Honda civics almost last forever and they're dirt cheap too. Maybe this is why they're high on the stolen car list.

Silver Member

Post Number: 588
"With the way gas is...I'd stay away from a larger SUV and look at Escapes,Explorers or maybe a 2 door Blazer.A cyclone would be sick Or was it a typhoon?I can't remember which one was the pick up or anything."

<< Rob, my brothers blazer (4.3 vtec) gets 13mpg, I get 16 city. He gets 8mpg hauling a trailer down hwy 95, I get 19. :-)
My brother-in-law got a dodge nitro-17mpg city, 21highway. My Yukon gets 16mpg and 20hwy (without trailer) with 500+lbs of audio equipment, so I'd say for 1mpg, give me a huge asted suv. If you plan on hauling anything the larger vehicle will get much better mileage hands down, and be better off for wear.

Often times the larger v8 engine will actually allow the full size suvs to get better mileage because it's less effort for it to haul its own azz. There are small suvs that get better mileage, but they simply don't have towing power (if that's of concern to the op).

Small import cars can get great mileage, but they are expensive to fix and have little space/power. It's a trade off, but if you're looking for an suv the tahoe/yukons have it where it counts imo.
*Plus spl in a suv is easier than a trunk by far.

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 366
honda element/pilot

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3233
@ Rob:
Syclone = pickup
Typhoon = SUV (souped up GMC Jimmy basically)

And for anyone who bashes on the reliability of american cars:
94 Blazer (mine) is going on 170k miles and still running great with no internal engine work.

My Dad had a Chevy Caprice and an 88 Ford Taurus both run over 200k. He sold an 89 Blazer with 175k running great. So there.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1868
Loved my 94 Bravada (vortec 4.2l) until the differential broke.

Silver Member

Post Number: 589
99 yukon had 180k+ miles ran great.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 346
why buy a Honda or Toyota and put a system in it if you get in a wreck the cars screwed buy something you know will atleast survive like a ford, doge chrysler jeep, Gm something like that

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Money man, blowin

Post Number: 2889
ben... thats retarded... but yeah my dad has owned two 87 benz 300sd turbo diesels, they cost about 3-7 grand depending on how nice it is, and he rode one 425000 miles before it rolled off a cliff (literally) and another one that had 350000 on it before he got rid of it...

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 5094
yeah i used to have an 81 benz 300d had over 400,000 on it and still ran solid. im going to buy another one at some point they are nice cars just slow.

Bronze Member
Username: Hurricanebr1an

Western Burbs of Chicago, IL Usa

Post Number: 73
"why buy a Honda or Toyota and put a system in it if you get in a wreck the cars screwed buy something you know will atleast survive like a ford, doge chrysler jeep, Gm something like that"

Ben, I'm intrigued. I would love to see some of the research and evidence you found before making that statement. Any chance you could do that for me?

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Post Number: 6842
those noobs saying ford suck is cuz they ride chevy and want their sh i t to soudn the best fu-ck that get a explorer i got mine and no problems and mine is 170k miles

Bronze Member
Username: Sqhoe

Huntington, IN USA

Post Number: 48
I wouldnt say I am a noob. I have been in the auto industry for 12 years and currently work for a gm dealership. Ford sucks.

Bronze Member
Username: Visitor

Middleofnowhere, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 89
the aviator has the 5.4 from the navigator in it. just an fyi. i dont get into the ford/gm debate.. as they both suck:-) buy german, or walk:-)

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5062
"<< Rob, my brothers blazer (4.3 vtec) gets 13mpg, I get 16 city. He gets 8mpg hauling a trailer down hwy 95, I get 19.
My brother-in-law got a dodge nitro-17mpg city, 21highway. My Yukon gets 16mpg and 20hwy (without trailer) with 500+lbs of audio equipment, so I'd say for 1mpg, give me a huge asted suv. If you plan on hauling anything the larger vehicle will get much better mileage hands down, and be better off for wear.

Often times the larger v8 engine will actually allow the full size suvs to get better mileage because it's less effort for it to haul its own azz. There are small suvs that get better mileage, but they simply don't have towing power (if that's of concern to the op).

Small import cars can get great mileage, but they are expensive to fix and have little space/power. It's a trade off, but if you're looking for an suv the tahoe/yukons have it where it counts imo.
*Plus spl in a suv is easier than a trunk by far."

Heh.Your engine may be a bit more efficient and their engines are older and possibly out of tune.How much did you pay for that truck of yours Troy?I really wouldn't get an SUV besides a 2 door blazer or Ford Escape or Explorer.Driving style has a lot to do with gas mileage.Oh and I hope you don't drive with over drive on.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 347
ok my resarch is life experiences how the h3ll is a honda or toyota going to hit my dodge and its still looking good there car is trashed???? my body hits a toyota from a person cutting him off his ford is still looking brand new not a scratch the axle on the other car on the other hand is in the liddle of the street thats from him trin to avoid it.

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1731
get like an 05 grand cherokee

Gold Member
Username: Theweasel

2 12 FI SSD, Colorado U.S. of A

Post Number: 1102
"the aviator has the 5.4 from the navigator in it."

nope it has a tuned version of the explorer 4.6L that turns out 302hp

Bronze Member
Username: Visitor

Middleofnowhere, Minnesota USA

Post Number: 90
"nope it has a tuned version of the explorer 4.6L that turns out 302hp"

ah.. you are right. my bad:-(

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10284
ALL my cars were/are american made. Buick, Ford and Chevy. I've never considered a foreign/import. I've just had nothing but good luck with domestic. (Knock on wood).

The only gripe I have with Ford is the front brakes on their F-series trucks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us