EHQS12 with hardcore roll-off under 50HZ in 3 cubes sealed, is this normal?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 666
This is the first time I've used a sealed design [read: take an old speaker cabinet, pull the 10s with rotted surrounds, seal all the holes but one, hot glue the edges, cut the one hole bigger and jam a $25 12" sub in there, with no crossover, but that's in the works] (now read the first sentence again so you remember what the hell I'm talkin' about) and once it gets below 50 HZ, it loses so much output. It's annoying. I have enough space to port it and I will if that's the only way to have response down to 30, 35 HZ. Is this just a characteristic of sealed boxes?

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Clover GroveIm rich btch...

Post Number: 363
it could be a characteristic of a 25$ sub.

plus i wouldnt have used a speaker cabinet, build one from some 3/4in MDF. also i would use some caulking instead of hot glue.

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 983
This is your problem. The site recommends only 1.5cf sealed for that sub. That box is way too big for it.

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1585
yeah its gonna be terrible its rated @ 200 watts n a sealed box its gonna suck ha ha thats why im going to run 6 of those 12 cubes tuned to 32 8 dbs louder across the board according to win isd

my old system did 139 @ 32 hz cant wait for this one beyahhhhhh

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1586
btw the 8s they dont go low like talkin bout either but there 8s and there only getting around 100rms each but it sure sounds better then my old 6x9s

the 8s are x overd @ 40 with a 24db slope

the 6x9s could only go to 80 and they sounded like trash

so its a considerable diff..... i want to drop it to 20 but its no gain except feelin it in ur seat rather not burn the subs up just got them a couple hours ago but i like my eds

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6512
Mark Highland... "This is your problem. The site recommends only 1.5cf sealed for that sub. That box is way too big for it."

actually a larger sealed box will improve the low end .......but what is probably happening is the vehicles natural resonance which is usually highest from 50 to 65 hz or so ....if you port it the low end output should increase a fair amount

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6513
wait I did miss something 3 cf box ....that is too big and there is such a thing as too large with sealed boxes too

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio

Post Number: 3588
true sean but its only to a point, if its way to big the sub will suck no matter what hz its playing. what size is the box? what amp do you have? are the filters set correctly?

Silver Member
Username: •cam•

Post Number: 667
it's in my house. forgot to mention that part. I did have it ported a long time ago and the low end was better. Yes, I know I should have done a lot of things. I've used caulking before, and in my opinion, the hot glue did a better job because it actually flowed into the cracks a little. Besides, I had no caulking, and I did it from the outside of the enclosure.

This is just temporary. Eventually, I'm going to get a plate amp and a pair D2 EHQS 12s.

I wasn't asking about anything but whether that's a characteristic of sealed boxes (this being the first one I've really listened to, I wouldn't know). When I do get 2 of them I'll build a real box, but I was planning to go sealed since I mainly have SQ with a little output in mind. If this is what it does in 3 cubes, then the 2 cubes/sub I was planning should theoretically roll off even harder, so I'll port it if that's the case. Thoughts were a little scattered in the last bit lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us