JBL GTi? Opinions please?

Bronze Member
Username: Jones82joshua

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 12
I've been thinking about upgrading from 3 10 MTX 7500's w/ 1500 wrms to 3 12"s GTi's, 3000 wrms, or would you recommend something else? this would be in a 2001 bonneville(biiig car). Assume big 3 already done. SQL. Feel free to offer advice and/or substitutions. Please :-)

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 342
ho alt

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 13
just got qoute back from Iraggi for 300 amp alt($600), that'll be my first upgrade purchase

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 14
wondering why nobody mentions JBL on here, probably price or efficiency? would this be a worthwhile investment?

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
good choice
i think you will need to run at 1.5 ohms?
i would get 2 re sx's and throw 1500w at each
or are you set on three woofers?

Silver Member
Username: Nissankicker

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 151
Just to let you know... JBL GTi3000s are only 600rms, 3000max. They are good subs. They sound better to me in a Bandpass box. 2 ported @ 38hz will break your back glass, I know that for sure.

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
...i dont think that will happen

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6177
lol

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 152
Wanna bet?

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
yeh

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 17
the GTi's voice coils are dual 6 ohm, so 3 would run at 1 ohm.. the 10's are 600/3000 and the 12's are 700/4000..and I'm not sold on them yet, just looking for more ideas or approval

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 153
Only if you were located in the 318 Area code. ( Louisiana )... You could come down to Audio Concepts, ask the owner. If that's not sufficient enough... You could hear and probably witness it for yourself. That's if he thinks you are comp. enough for him to turn his system on.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 387
where was the crack in the "back glass" before you broke it completely with that super loud prefab bandpass box?

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 154
They are decent subs... Just expensive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
what is he going to say..."hey, why dont yo go out there and turn on my car stereo so it can break the glass in my car"?
i dont quite think so for a couple reasons
1 why would he want to break his glass
2 it would not happen
3 yo are a silly fa g
4 louisiana sucks

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 155
Actually... It wasn't a PREFAB Bandpass box. It was constructed by Audio Plus before they shutdown. Price tag, $1100+ - It was reinforced with fiberglass. But, that wasn't even the box used. If was a Fiberglass Blue 3 12" sealed Enclosure that did that. Matter of fact, it's still @ Audio Concepts. Price Tag $700. The crack started at the top left side, almost in the middle. Made it's way to the other side, Change in song and hertz, crack got bigger, then eventually the occasional shatter effect, then.. Bye bye glass.

Silver Member

Post Number: 388
you didn't answer my question

Silver Member

Post Number: 389
I take back that statement.

So there was a chip in the glass before he turned his "system" on

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 1...

Post Number: 5263
DJ,

Were is Audio Concepts. And what vehicle are those GTi's in?

I'm going to take a trip there...and I'm bringing my 3500's and cash.

Kyle Longbrake,

Louisiana does not suck.
/thread

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 18
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/JBL/w15gti.1.wmv thats nice.

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 19
What would a similar setup be, between 2-4 12" subs, including amps, and prices? SQL

(Looking at 3 GTi 12"s with 3000 WRms)

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 156
There was no CHIP in the glass. The vechile is 94 Caprice ( Round body ). Name is Trey Cage. Audio Concepts is SynQuest ( Originally ). And no offense Canaan, those DDs couldn't touch that Caprice, and don't worry rattle isn't what he goes for. you know what better yet, If he doesn't wanna go @ it Ralow will. And don't talk about money cause they are Breaded. Anything under 1.5k, they aren't even gonna waste their time.

Soo, I'll go get my cousin Larry Holston. He has a Caddy ( Car ). He probably won't charge you that much.

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 157
Make it like this, That was the JBL Crown 6000 ( 7200 RMS ) - That amp by it self is 3k. The GTi15s run for $699-$799 each, depending on where you look.

Ebay might have some on there for $399-$499 ( 12s that is ).

And the amp you would or suggested ( by me )... MMATS 3000 up, an AutoTek Mean Machine 4k, Rockford 4k, or the KX2500.1 ( Not the ZX )

Gold Member

Post Number: 5264
No offense taken man, and I dont mean to give any.

But, what systems do these guys have...I'm a VERY serious about making the drive.

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 158
I don't know for a fact right know, this instant if trey still have his JBLs, the last time I heard, he upgraded to 4 15s. I don't know if it was the same brand JBL or what. I know for a fact though, RALOW has 4 12" Kicker L7s, and the KX2500.1. He is in a Yukon XL, Not sure if he transferred it to his Escalade. ( But I can find out ). Now as far as my cousin Larry goes, he has 2 Kicker L7s and 2 Kicker CVXs ported, and 2 Hifonics Brutus 2000 ( BXi2006D ) - 1 for each set. The only reason I haven't put myself in the picture is because I won't have my ported box until Thursday, tomorrow. My 4 will sound like 8 sealed. BUMP to myself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 390
JBL=overrated

even the guys doing 160db+ aren't blowing their windows out.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1808

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 159
And every guy I know doin' 160 has an upgraded window... Plexiglass, thicker glass, somethings been done. If my Honda did 160, I guarantee my glass isn't gonna last long.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6178
im not too sure what to say to this thread

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 20
What about 3 Fi Q's? 2 BL's? 4 Type R's? 2 critical mass UL12's? anything else sound like a good investment for SQL? c'mon guys, liven up. lol. Yeah, I think I'd kill for 2 UL12's..

Gold Member

Post Number: 5265
DJ,

I know quite a few people doing 160+ w/ stock windows/windshields.

Every vehicle in USACi Stock, Prostock, and Mod have stock windshields. Everyone in dBdrag Street have stock.

Just how much louder do those other guys' systems sound over yours? (w/ your current box)

I only do 150+ daily w/ 1 amp, but there are few to no people in the Monroe/Ruston area doing 152+ daily. There are alot of 145-47+ daily setup though.

I will drive over to your area pretty soon...I have been trying to get another SPL comp setup. If any of the shop over there will host it, I'll pay for everything to set it up.

I love lil competition :-)
Keeps me on my toes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5266
Joshua,

Those GTi's are nice subs for getting pretty loud and sounding good...Q's are aswell.

3 GTi's would be good...just build a good box.

What is your actual budget?

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 21
undecided atm, quick rough estimate.. 2-3k. (sh!t, there go my dreams of CM UL12's!)

Gold Member

Post Number: 5267
If you are willing to buy used...look around for some RE XXX's (05-06 models). They are dam nice.

Two XXX15's w/ ~2.5-3Kw would be amazing.

The CM UL12's seem nice, but I never hear anything out of them...nor have I messed w/ them. Seem to have one hell of a price tag too.

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 22
How much are the XXX's brand new? and 15" for SQL?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5268
RE doesnt make the XBL^2 XXX anymore...they have a new design, and they are EXPENSIVE, but still great subs. Also, look into RE MX's.

You would be stunned by the sound of an 05-06 RE XXX15. Or if you can finds some 12" or 15" Adire Brahma MKII's, that would be AMAZING SQ. (The MKII's, not MKIII's) I loved my Brahma MKII 10", outstanding SQ.

Another option would be IDMAX's or some of Ascendant Audio's new sub's .
(I hear AA's new stuff leans toward SQ).

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 23
To those who actually posted useful information, I thank you, and to everyone else, you amuse me, so thanks to you too. lol.

Silver Member
Username: Hgihkcin

Lincoln, NE

Post Number: 259
i like my jbl stuff, all my jbl stuff so far has been underated, my jbl 2200.1 does 3500 watts at 4ohms before it even goes into cliping, my jbl 1200.1 did 1500 before cliping, and my little 10gti sounded pretty good off of 1500rms

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1342
Joshua, if you are looking at a nice SQL setup, I could help you with a pair of RD Audio Alphas and amps to match. Shoot me an email.

Kevin
lowhz01@yahoo.com

Bronze Member

Yankton, SD USA

Post Number: 24
A couple of years ago the original idea was to run 4 GTO 12"s off of an MTX 1501D, but I stayed with MTX subs(started with 6 10" blue thunders in '99, then 2 12" 8000's, 3 7500 10"s and still have the 10"s in a sledgehammer box). I had been thinking about upgrading to 2 9500 12"s but I keep hearing that they're good but not worth paying full price for. I like my current setup, going to get it metered before I upgrade(probably within a month or two), but still am not completely satisfied. I dont really think I'd be completely satisfied with GTo's either, so I figure I'd just do it right.
Someone said something before about Diamond Audio? How about Crossfire? I'm not trying to be a pain in the a$s, it just comes natural, lol. :-)

Current ideas would be..
3x JBL GTi 12" or..
3x ID Max 12" or..
2x Re XXX 15" or..
2x RD Alpha 15"

And of course about 4000 Watts RMS.

The way it is now, I'm getting to be pretty biased towards getting the JBL's or the Re XXX's, but I would like to hear more about the Alpha's.

Silver Member
Username: Denim

Www.TeamSSAudio.com, MD

Post Number: 462
Stick with the GTi's. They are very capable woofers that have very strong output while holding good SQ. Pending the install is done right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us