Sub facing in???

Silver Member
Username: Santa_fe

Post Number: 179
is it better to face a sub into a ported box??? What are the disadvantages of facing it in and out??? is there much difference in Db levels?

Silver Member
Username: Nissankicker

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 149
Ok... Let me see If I get what you're sayin':

You have a ported box, and you're tryin' to figure out what it would sound like Inverted or Regular mount.

*If that's correct*

Regular mount is the only way to go with a ported box. One of the main factors in building a ported box, is the depth of the speaker. With the speaker outside in there's NO depth! Also, think about it, speaker beat Back then move out. Other words, don't you feel more air puttin' your hand behind the sub, then in front of the sub??? So you're pretty much eliminating the port's purpose.

Inverted your sub will make your entire trunk a box, and these won't work properly if your trunk isn't COMPLETELY sealed off. And yes, you will see a drop in DB. If you invert, change to a sealed enclosure. Ported box and inverted subs w/o completed sealing off your trunk is too much Air Space. Which equals distruction of Subwoofer(s).

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6176
im assuming you mean inverted mounting of the subs....having the basket and magnet on the outside? that correct?

if thats the case, it wont effect sound. wont make it louder or cleaner. it will change the volume of the box.

this an example of what i think your talking about
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Tatonka

Post Number: 883
LOL @ DJ Tucker not knowing what the hell he is talking about

Silver Member

Post Number: 885
Even though I live close to Tucker lol :D

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
yeah thats what im talking about.....so if the box was bandpass do i want the subs facing the pleix glass and the magnets in the part of the box with the ports right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
bump

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10174
Yanks is right. Aside from the bling factor it's basically only a displacement issue when designing the box. Short of that.......

If you need a source here's one from someone who just might know a few things lol......

http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/inverted.html

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Http://com4.runboard.c...

Post Number: 1812
Damn! I thought that was gone...I been typing in wickedcases.com. That was the old site address right?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10175
Yeah. I've had it bookmarked forever. When his site went down I forgot about it until recently.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 391
what an idiot. I can't wait til Canaan meets up with this guy

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
are you talking about me??? Its was a question thieves.....dont hate man!

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6179
damn paul. i thought GW took it down....glad to see its just changed....new site just been bookmarked :-)

santa, are you going for the 'bling' factor?

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 160
For 1... I do know what I'm talkin' about. I wouldn't be openin' up my own business if I didn't. Also, I wouldn't be accepted to get my license... So Fu[k what ya'll talkin' about. Inverting a Sub in a ported box does make a difference. I have a Single Ported Box, and I have tried it... It sounds horrible. And as far as me and Canaan meeting up. Hmm, there's about a year plus between me and Marshall. I've never had a beat off w/ him, but that just b/c it never came up. Scared? No, just never came up between us. ( To answer Thieves " What an idiot. I can't wait til Canaan meets up with this guy " ) Homie, been there, done that. Sealed is no match for ported enclosure, but tomorrow, when I receive my box, we'll see. What a video? I have a few with my current setup.

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 161
For 1... I do know what I'm talkin' about. I wouldn't be openin' up my own business if I didn't. Also, I wouldn't be accepted to get my license... So Fu[k what ya'll talkin' about. Inverting a Sub in a ported box does make a difference. I have a Single Ported Box, and I have tried it... It sounds horrible. And as far as me and Canaan meeting up. Hmm, there's about a year plus between me and Marshall. I've never had a beat off w/ him, but that just b/c it never came up. Scared? No, just never came up between us. ( To answer Thieves " What an idiot. I can't wait til Canaan meets up with this guy " ) Homie, been there, done that. Sealed is no match for ported enclosure, but tomorrow, when I receive my box, we'll see. Want a video? I have a few with my current setup.

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 162
* My fault about the double post...

Gold Member

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 6182
i do wanna see videos....just cause i like watching new videos

what are you running?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 1...

Post Number: 5271
The only difference in mounting subs inverted vs normal is the net air space of the box will be alil different.

Ex:

1.5cuft net box, ~38hz tuning, 2"x10" port 23.5" long....sub w/ .2cuft displacment mounted normally.

Take that exact same box and mount the sub inverted and you will have:
1.7cuft net, ~35.7hz tuning...exact same port

:-)

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2838
A beat off? I think Nick beat off with Marshall but I am not positive on that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5272
There has never been any hate between me and DJ.

I see him from time to time, he came to my last SPL comp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5273
Brad Warren = feg

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego

Post Number: 2839

Gold Member

Post Number: 5274
Upload

Remember Brad,
NEVER mess w/ a crazy person

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10182
I ran my Mag inverted and I was VERY pleased. All the evidence I need. I'm sorry yours sounded horrible.

Silver Member
Username: Jtown

Post Number: 393
santa claus, I was talking about tucker, not you. sorry for the confusion

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
gotcha, lol i like he nick name

Silver Member

Post Number: 887
"So Fu[k what ya'll talkin' about. Inverting a Sub in a ported box does make a difference. I have a Single Ported Box, and I have tried it.."

Are you sure you didn't forget to change your phase?

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12207
only stupid reason ppl put subs magnet side out is for the lame bling factor ....IMO its stupid ......

Silver Member

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 163
I'll be comin' to the shop so I can meter my new setup... Hopefully, if it's possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us