Port or not to port?

Bronze Member
Username: O0airjordan120o

Post Number: 31
soooo i installed the 2 12 inch type r's... a friend of mine has 1 12inch r. i think his is quite a bit louder then mine.. his box is ported and mine isnt. although i did notice his box is VERY small for being ported. does he having a car vs my truck cab make a difference? soooo i was wondering. my box is approx. .9cu ft. each sub. (they are boxed seperately) is that just too small to try and port? maybe port both? or just one so i can have loudness with 1 and have sq with the other. i have a truck so space is pretty much maxed out... help me! he also said my deck would make a huge difference. i got the discontinued dual flipdown one.. i know its dual but i thought it was cool and at the time had no system so didnt really care. THANKS

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3575
Well..... when i did a setup for my friend with 2 12 R's... sealed in 1.25cu it wasnt sh1t for loudness... then stuck it in a 3cu 32hz slot ported box it made a huge difference, his car is falling apart... POS neon with no trunk left... and a NON removable box haha .....Your headunit makes a difference to. the output voltage, EQ, subwoofer level, ect.

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Clover GroveIts the capi...

Post Number: 346
AGREE w/ Killa. a friend had 2 type Rs in a sealed and then changed to ported and made a great difference. youll be happy with ported over sealed

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 329
but i thought ported boxs ment you couldnt give them to much power????

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Clover GroveIts the capi...

Post Number: 348
thats not true. your more likely to give the ported more power then sealed

Bronze Member

MN US

Post Number: 35
but its only .9 cu. ft! i cant make it any bigger. can i port a small box like that? and if so will it effect sq like a ton. i like the sloppy bass but i dont want it to sound like crap. how big of a port?

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1415
u should port them. ive got an x-cab s10 and ive got 1 15 in the back with 4cu ft so i think u can fit 2 12s. if u have to,go with a aero ported box to save room. sq shouldnt be effected that much but it will for sure be louder.

"thats not true. your more likely to give the ported more power then sealed"

actually thats not true. subs in a ported enclosure will get louder with less power b/c they will move easier than if in a sealed enclosure.

Bronze Member

MN US

Post Number: 37
yea but i have a 99 dodge 1500. the floors are different from chevys. i couldnt even fit a pair of 10inch E's back there. i took out my middle folding seat and built a box to fit there so i could fit the R's. i thought well im going to be sittin right next to them so it will be plenty loud... but i want louder. haha I CANNOT MAKE A DIFFERENT BOX OR FIT THEM ANYWHERE ELSE! right now i got them sealed seperately. around .9cu ft a piece. so i got a few questions. can i port each indevidually at .9 cu ft without hurting anything? should i take out the devider and have it 1.8ish cu ft for both of them and then port it? if i do port it what size should i go with?? or should i just leave it. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 1915
That is a really small area for them to be ported I would honestly just leave them how they are or somehow find a way to make a bigger box. There is always a way.

Bronze Member
Username: Brent113

Post Number: 15
Well here's a fact: It takes around 3 times as much power to produce an equivalent decibel level in a sealed box as opposed to an optimal ported box. So even if you can't make the box bigger my vote is to put a 3" port or so in the side if you can at all.

Silver Member
Username: Nissankicker

Grambling, LA USA

Post Number: 148
If you have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500... Look into Probox. Their website is: www.proboxrocks.com ; I'm POSITIVE they have a box to fit 2 12" ported for your specified vechile!

Bronze Member

MN US

Post Number: 38
i came across probox a long time ago and no they dont have anything for my truck. i can definetly put a good size port on the one facing front. the one facing back would be hard. the only way to make an optimal ported box for my truck would be to make a new box and have only 1 type R in there... how do i go about porting out the box? just cut a 3 inch hole in th side or what?

Silver Member
Username: Luisdelbronx

Bronx, NY USA

Post Number: 187
you could try to put polyfill(basically the stuff inside pillows) in your box..it will fool the sub into thinking its in a bigger box, giving you better sql (from what i've read on here, i have yet to do it myself)

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12202
different rides \ equipment \ install

i suggest u port it if u want more loud try about 2cuft\sub tuned about 33-34hz = SQL ....

Bronze Member

MN US

Post Number: 39
ahhh... heres what i want to do. i think ill keep both the subs and just port the fron sub. that way ive got 1 that will get really low and sloppy and 1 for sq. k? what do i need to port the box? theres a part of the box that i can really just take off to make about a 5x13 slot. what size should i go with?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
You realize of course that a hole is not a port?

Silver Member
Username: Luisdelbronx

Bronx, NY USA

Post Number: 188
yea man..just cutting a hole will tune that chamber really high and will sound like crap

Bronze Member

MN US

Post Number: 40
YES I KNOW! thats why im asking what size to make it. i realize its like 'deep' maybe if thats how yould word it. like if its a circular port its 3 inches in diameter and like a tube goin into the box. so what im asking is if i have a .9 cu ft. box how big of a port should i put into it to go for spl. or is it just not guna happen? cus maybe if thats the case i will sell my amp and 1 of my subs make a new box and port it for spl and get a diff. amp. and my friend is sellin his memphis mojo so i could sell my R's and get the mojo keep my box and port it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

That will let you tune it to whatever you want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us