Another noob question...

Bronze Member
Username: Noob101

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 89
Now for all i know this is probably one of the biggest noob questions ever and something might not even be wrong here's my problem....I have a FI q and it's running off of a ed nine.1 and i feel like my sub isn't getting the power it needs like something is wrong with my wiring or maybe it's my factory head not giving it a good signle or my gains or a number of other things and the reason why i think this is because although the bass does play my sub doesn't move it vibrates a little on high volume's but nothing like what i've seen in videos like this for example...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30glHtkATHg&NR=1 and that's running off of 1000w so if you have any idea of what im doing wrong it would be really appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1650
well first off the sub is DVC 2ohm and you have it wired in parrellel so its a 10hm final load right?

is your gain on the amp set correctly

are the settings on your HU set correctly

also ide reccomned getting a aftermaket HU that may be your problem there becuase if it isnt meant to have a subwoofer channel it might not be sending out enough power.

Username: Sets_off_car_alarms

Post Number: 5
Check your gains, on your amp and on your [Speaker level/line level] converter(if you have one).

The parallel config only works with two subs, if its one sub then parrallel is the same as a series, but i bet you know that already but just puttin it out there.

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1651
"if its one sub then parrallel is the same as a series"

what the he!! are you talking about. parallel is then all positves are together and all negitives are together. series is when you hook negitve to positive on your sub. You can have one sub and have it wired in parellel or series. You can have 2 subs and have them wired in parallel or series.

http://rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp?submitted=true&woofer_qty=1& woofer_imp=3
the first example there is wired in parallel and the second example is wired in series.

im assuming you have a DVC2 ohm sub so it needs to be wired like the first option.

Bronze Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 90
yes it is a dvc2 ohm sub and it's wired like option 1 except both wires coming from the amp are on the same side then linked over does this make and difference? Also could it be a problem to where i have the speaker wire connected in the amp? I put the wires where the guy i bought it from had the ends of his old wire sticking out... here's a pic to help explain.
[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/shaq_n_wade/angry.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/shaq_n_wade/subwiring.jpg[/IMG]

Bronze Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 91
also what should i have all the adjustable settings on the side set too or how would i know where to set them? options(phase,gain,db boost,low pass,subsonic,) I'll be buying a aftermarket head unit soon but i was recently in an accident and need about 625$ so it won't be for a while... also accident has nothing to do with the sub it was like this for about 2 weeks before that.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1395
not sure about your amp but mine also has 2 speaker inputs and its only stable to 2ohms on each input b/c its bridged internally. check the manual and see if it says its bridged internally cuz if it is u have it hooked up wrong. if it is then u will just need to hook up each of the subs + - to each of the amps + -.

Bronze Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 92
i don't have the manuel as i bought it used and didn't receive it with it. i know it's stable at 1 ohm but say it is bridged can i just play with the wiring and see if anything helps or would this be a bad idea cause i could damage the sub if i hooked it up wrong?

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

15 AQ HD3

Post Number: 1397
go to EDs website and download the manual. i know that amp is 1ohm stable, i just meant it might only be stable at 2ohms on each input. so if u have 2 2ohm loads,one in each input,then on the inside of the amp it will take the 2 2ohm loads and make it a final load of 1ohm. sorry if that doesnt make since,thats the best i can explain it.

Bronze Member

Taylorsville, Utah USA

Post Number: 93
I understand. I'm buying a digital multimeter tomorrow so i can figure out how much power I'm putting into it and get my gains set right and hopefully this will fix the problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us