Bottoming out 15"

Silver Member
Username: Somedonniedude

Post Number: 224
I have a big problem with distortion. I have a 15" diamond D6 in a sealed 2.25cu box(roughly) running off a rockford p6002 amp. This sub bottoms out and isnt very responsive and sounds like @ss. its only running off of 1 channel on the amp too. (new amp should be here any day). At first I thought it was my amp distorting it, but it looks like its reaching full excursion off only 300rms (subs 750rms). It gets more responsive once as i crank it, but it still sound like its bottoming out. is this my amp or my box? Im gonna wait till my zx750s in before i do anything else. If its still bottoming out when i get my new amp, do you think polyfill will help this, or just need a new box?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 6452
wheres the box tuned to? maybe your ported too high

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3435
"I have a big problem with distortion. I have a 15" diamond D6 in a "sealed" 2.25cu box"

;)

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
Its sealed. Polo what are you getting at? Is that sub better in a ported box? Man i hope i can get 1 ported that will fit in my trunk.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3437
I put quaotations around sealed because you said it was sealed and couldn't be overported. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Snarl2004

Audioque 12 SD2.5s, Earthquake P...

Post Number: 1648
mabey your gain is too high on your amp or some settings are wrong. Ide wait until you get your new amp and see if that fixes the problem

Silver Member

Post Number: 228
Where is a good place to buy fill for the box? and whats the proper name for it (search uses).

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 10084
Polyfill like you said or even dacron or fiberfill. Try a fabric store, even Walmart.

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
Is there any specific way this must be set in a box, or does it matter? How much do I need? We have an old recliner were throwing away so I was thinking about cuting it open and seeing if that would work lol.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 509
Just buy new stuff at walmart. Polyfill- ask someone in the arts/crafts section for it or 'pillow stuffing', same thing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
Can this hurt my sub in any way? I got bored and pulled this stuff out of a recliner and it looks allot like it. I figured id give this a try, and if it works, sweet. If it doesent, then ill buy the better stuff. I dont make much money, so dough I can save is worth the effort.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

4 10 Pioneer...

Post Number: 12174
have a feeling gain is set too high & u can also try the poly\fibre fill thing ......

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3526
I can only think of a few things..... Box is to big, subsonic filter isnt set and the subs trying to hit some lows it cant handle, or simply to much power for the box designed and by polo saying "sealed" that means it doesnt really have a tuning... ported boxs have tuning. THe sub would probally do alot better ported

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
I think its my amp. The box is the recomended size from diamond. My amp doesent have an adjustable subsonic filt. The subs not fluttering, like its free air or anything, and it somewhat hits even, except for the deep lows(not broke in yet). Im only giving it 300wrms. If its still bad after all of this, im just gonna build a box. Theres a first time for everything

Gold Member

Post Number: 3529
check your wiring then, you may have a wire backwards or somthing or not wired correct... otherwise i dunno

Gold Member

Post Number: 6457
I missed that you said sealed.....over stuff it....that will make the box appear smaller to the sub and see how that works

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 312
i thought puting fiberfill in the box made the sub think it was bigger not smaller???

Bronze Member
Username: Sqhoe

Huntington, IN USA

Post Number: 41
port it. Mine did the same thing sealed because I wanted to drive it harder to get the output I wanted. Those things are pretty loud when ported.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3545
Ben, im pretty sure your right. I never did it so im not completly sure but thats what ive heard on this forum. Ported is always going to make any sub louder sealed is ussualy used to retain the SQ with less output.

Silver Member

Post Number: 236
could i pack it full of fill and throw an aero port in it? Well anyways i just got home from school and my zx750 has arrived. So ill see what happens when im done.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6476
"i thought puting fiberfill in the box made the sub think it was bigger not smaller???"

yes but only if you dont use too much after that it makes the box appear smaller to the sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 6477
look at the charts

http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
ok. so it sounds alot better and actually gets somewhat loud now. Sounds good except for in the deep notes. It hits deep notes the hardest, but its reaching full excursion and bottoming out. I know its not broke in yet, so should i still go on with fill or wait till its broke in? I gotta go to work now so ill mess with it more tomarrow. Thanks for all the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us