Interesting Problem with two Battery Isolator Setup

Username: Curifin

Jackson, MS

Post Number: 1
I have a two battery setup with a SurePower isolator and have an interesting problem that maybe some of the gurus here can figure out. I am stumped.

The setup is on 12v normal and one 12v deep cycle. Delco Alternator with isolator and external excitement on the Alternator.

Charging voltages are normal on all posts and car runs fine.

When the secondary is run down however, the car wont start. The main batter still maitains full charge and if you jumper the main to the secondary, the car starts right up.

Also, if teh secondary is very very low, the car will crank but the Alt gauge shows almost no alternator output, and the car quick dies.

Again, jumpering main to secondary starts it right up and Alt output voltage goes back to normal and charges up the secondary and the car run right along.

My initial though was bad wiring on the isolator but after a double check, its correct.

Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 3416
Isolator backwards? Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6461
Check and see if you can operate with one main battery for a week. Then reverse it with secondary. If after 2 weeks everything runs well, then the problem is with isolator or isolator wiring.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4774
Isolator FTL!

Username: Curifin

Jackson, MS

Post Number: 2
Thanks! I rechecked the wiring and it is correct. One further hint. At high rems, high alt output, there will be output voltage fluctuations. Typicall y the charging system will output 13.2 - 14.0 volts. When driving at 65 plus every so often it will dip down briefly to 11 or 12 volts dimming lights etc. It comes back up immediately.

I am beginning to suspect a faulty isolator.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us