My first sound system, did I screw up or am I a genius?

Username: Gozu

Coral Springs, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
07 Accord LX coupe here. The factory audio is so bad that everytime I turn it on, I want to jump out the car and in front of a speeding semi to end the pain and suffering it causes me.

I've already begun beating my wife, abusing my children and injecting heroin as a consequence of this anguish. Bravo, Honda! Bravo! See what you've done? YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!

Anyways, my marriage counselour recommended I upgrade my sound system and he pointed me to these forums. Unfortunately, I was high and I fell asleep. Then I had a dream, and based on what I dreamt, I bought the following off eBay:

4 Polk MMC6500 speakers. $320
Alpine CDA-9887 w/ HD Radio module and iPod cable. $500
Kicker ZX350.4 ZX 4 channel Speaker Amp . $190

What I need to buy:

-Some sort of dash replacement. The only one I could find is the $150 Metra (http://www.Crutchfield.com/S-UTWYzrUsCA4/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&cc=01&g=751&ta b=review&i=120997864&pg=1&sortBy=3)

-Professional install around Fort Lauderdale ($265-$300). Does it sound like a fair deal? Do you maybe know anyone who can do it in exchange for a tuna sandwich and an old mailbox key?

-Subwoofer + Subwoofer Amp (I'm going to get this at a later date. Already broke my budget)

-??? (Is there something I've forgotten?)

PLEASE! PLEASE! FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN HELP ME AND MY BROKEN FAMILY! I CAN ALREADY HEAR VOICES IN MY HEAD TELLING ME TO DRIVE US ALL OFF A BRIDGE AND END ALL THE PAIN!

Thanks and have a great day!

Silver Member
Username: Kyle_lowe

Post Number: 274
this is truly a funny thread
no that is not a fair deal, just install it yourself
yes you did screw up
yes there are more things that you need
please dont drive off the bridge
i will

Post Number: 2
Oh god! I screwed up! I knew it!

How? HOW? Oh God, the uncertainty, it's driving me mad. I need some heroin. Brb.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 4669
I'm definitely not a fan of Polk speakers,everytime I hear a set they're not impressive at all. :-( If you can...do the install yourself.If they try to charge you more than 265 tell them to blow you.

Post Number: 3
How easy is the install? I should note that I am notoriously clumsy. I broke both an Xbox and a PS2 while atempting to mod them.

Also, everything I touch just crumbles or dies. Once, I tried to build a wall out of legos and the legos exploded and, in my health class, the mannequin actually came to life just so it could die when I started CPR on it.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1870
lmao head unit is real easy. component speakers and amp are harder but still pretty easy. if you have any buddies that have done it before they can help.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 15091
gozu don't take out your stock stereo cause it has the controls for you ac and all. they sell a kit where you take out the center compartment below the stereo. you can mount your new hu there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4676
Who needs AC!?!

Post Number: 4
Chad Lee: the replacement dash I mentionned has controls for the AC. Click the link in my first post for more details.

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

SOUND SPLINTER RL-S ON...

Post Number: 15095
i know man. i have the same one. but i am just saying you don't have to spend 150 bux to get that.

Post Number: 5
Ah, you have the same one? How is it? Is it crappy?

I'd rather spend the money and keep my center compartment. That's where I keep my...ah...medication *wink* *wink*.

Also, I don't want a dead stereo in the middle of my dash anymore that I'd want...say.. a dead squirrel. It's just sick and morbid. Also, it will confuse and anger my passengers when they try to make it work.

I don't want angry passengers.

Post Number: 6
So, someone said I made mistakes but did not point them out. Was he lying out of jealousy?

He must've been. I hate you poster-whose-name-I-can't-be-bothered-to-scroll- up-to-look-it-up !

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1567
haha gozu you're funny

umm i know what you mean...a non functional stereo in the middle would make me mad too...

i think you'll be very pleased with the polk's. They're by no means the best, but I think you will be very happy with them, and that's what counts right?!

If you know nothign about installing car audio, that would be a good price to pay for the installation. Make them run new speaker wire to each door for the components though...

If you pay that much now, the price to isntall a sub and amp later will be much cheaper too...Order a Kicker PKD1 (preferably off ebay) and have them install that (it's the wiring for it....would be about 225 bucks retail at like bestbuy)

Also, look into a Kicker ZX1000 and a 12" Fi Q when you go to get a sub and amp...the amp will match and that Q will be perfect for your setup...

POST PICS when you the stuff installed!

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 270
dude eah thats a great first system i mena its the first one you own so its not going to be the best and heck you could do the install just fine do some reading and follow the directions and you will be able to hook up it all (and its far from as hard as a ps2 or xbox mod)

Post Number: 7
I listened to the Polks in a store and they sounded the best of what was available in my price range.

I imagine actual top of the line speakers would cost more than my car. In any case, they are now bought and paid for so there ain't nothing that can be done.

I've ordered a Kicker PKD1 from ebay ($80 shipped). Thanks for your suggestion.

I'll keep your Amp/Sub suggestions in mind for later on.

And I'll definitely take some pics.

I think the only thing left for me to order is the replacement dash. Still hoping to find one for less than $150. But maybe I ought to just bite the bullet.

Well, someone also said something about dynamat. Should I order some of that as well?

Silver Member
Username: Evoixmr

Post Number: 108
wouldn't hurt

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s,PG Xenon 400.1, 135.5dbs!!!!

Post Number: 906
just a quick note for you gozu, the Polks are fine, but they won't sound the same in the car as they did in the store....less space.
and IF you are going to soundproof things , dynamat is pretty good. But you can always wait until you get the sub and amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
I would dynamat the door panels while your swapping the speakers out anywayz, then worry about the rest when you do the sub/amp

Post Number: 8
Thanks.

I am hoping that the Imprint thingie that I can use with my 9887 HU, which is supposedly like magic, only better and more expensive, will help alleviate the space problem and make my speakers sound like a choir of angels from heaven, singing Hip Hop songs and pink floyd.

I suppose I'll wait for the dynamat. I'm not in a hurry to spend more money at this point.

So, only dash replacement is left, I think.

Or am I wrong? If I am, please tell me so but make sure to sandwich it between two compliments.

For your convenience, here are a few topics you may compliment me on:

-My rugged good looks.
-My shiny car.
-The size of my genitalia.
-The cavalier way I treat my credit cards. Like cheap whores to be raped whenever I feel like it, then ignored forever. (or until the repo man comes).

Post Number: 9
So, I should get dynamat for my door panels then?

How much should I get?

I'm not interested in soundproofing per se, I just want good sound. If dynamat is totally worth it and will make those angels sing like they had no balls (do angels have balls?), I'll get it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
If your not into soundproofing they sell small squares that you just slap on the door panel where the speaker will be installed. This helps to reduce vibration in the door and IMO improves sq. Or you can just buy a roll and cover the entire door frame where the stock weather sheet is.

Post Number: 10
Alright. I just bought the dash kit and an iPod cable from crutchfield.

I suppose I could get some of those squares you speak of. Do you have a URL by any chance? I wouldn't know what to buy. Ebay has all kinds of sizes and stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_speaker_kit.html

enjoy

Silver Member

Post Number: 282
gozu must be someone on this forum already just messing with us
he is to funny not to be

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks, I just bought some. So, to recap:

Alpine 9887 HU $300
+ iPod cable $30
+ HD Radio module $170

2 pairs of Polk MMC6500 speakers $320
+ Dynamat Xtreme Speaker Kit $16

Kicker ZX350.4 Amp $190
+Kicker PKD1 cables $80

Metra replacement dash kit $150

Total: $1256

So, after factoring in installation, I figure I've ended somewhere around $1600 or $600 above my initial budget.

Man, I hope this gets me laid.

Gold Member
Username: Jkidder

IA, DP RD

Post Number: 1877
its u bro

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Ah, you're far too kind Kyle (and JK and Cal).

I'm glad my clowning amused you and I am flattered by your compliments but I am truly a total n00b to this forum and to the world of car audio in general as evidenced by the following chatlog:

Session Started with Agent (Vicki)
Agent (Vicki): "Welcome to the Crutchfield Sales Department. My name is Vicki, how may I help today?
max power: "Hi Vicki"
Agent (Vicki): "Hello Max.
max power: "What kind of subwoofer can I put in the trunk, while still having enough space to store a dead body too?
max power: "wait"
Agent (Vicki): "Haha..."
max power: "I mean...carpet"
Agent (Vicki): "There are plenty that you can put in there and still have plenty of storage room left."
Agent (Vicki): "What kind of car is this going in?"
max power: "An 07 Accord Coupe"
Agent (Vicki): "Psshhh...you have tons of trunk space!"
max power: "I do?"
max power: "YAY!"
Agent (Vicki): "You can put one 12 in there and still have room to spare."
max power: "12 bodies?"
max power: "i think you exagerate"
max power: "no offense"
Agent (Vicki): "Hahaa...I meant a 12 inch sub."
max power: "unless they're midg.."
max power: "oh"
max power: "nevermind"
Agent (Vicki): "lol"
max power: "12 inches, gotcha"
max power: "hmm"
max power: "my roommate, Drew"
max power: "He got himself a subwoofer"
max power: "and some other stuff"
max power: "and his car sounds like a grenade exploding in a cave when he puts on one of his lousy hiphop CDs"
max power: "I don't want that"
Agent (Vicki): "Dynamat will help that."
max power: "Is there any subwoofer out there that's made for people who just want good lows, not stuff that can set off earthquake detectors in california? (I live in florida)"
max power: "No offense meant to Hip Hop"
max power: "i like hip hop"
max power: "it's drew's taste that's lousy"
max power: "stuff like "hey baby""
max power: "I mean, what kinda music is that anyways?"
Agent (Vicki): "Yes, our Polk subwoofers give good tight bass."
max power: "Fair enough"
Agent (Vicki): "Put the sub in a sealed box and you'll be good to go."
max power: "a sealed box?"
max power: "they don't come in a box?"
Agent (Vicki): "Not all of them."
max power: "I have an old crate of oranges in the laundry room"
max power: "can I use that as a box?"
Agent (Vicki): "Come on now....you know what I mean."
max power: "i assume it must be a box that never contained oranges"
max power: "though my knowledge doesn't extend past that"
Agent (Vicki): "Yes, thats a good assumption."
max power: "I always assumed all subs came in boxes"
max power: "I guess not"
Agent (Vicki): "So should we set you up an order for a sub and a box?"
max power: "Can I add them to my wishlist?"
max power: "I have no money left. car audio is very expensive you know?"
max power: "I think I might have to hire a bum to install everything and cut on cost"
Agent (Vicki): "There ya go, add them to your wishlist."
Agent (Vicki): "Is there anything else you need me to answer for you?"
max power: "You are truly the woman every man dreams of marrying!"
Agent (Vicki): "Hahaha. Thanks!"
max power: "no, I was going to start making up questions to keep you on the line"
max power: "but it would be very selfish of me"
Agent (Vicki): "Haha"
max power: "yay"
max power: "i made you laugh 3 times"
max power: "well"
max power: "thanks for all your help"
Agent (Vicki): "I know. I'm impressed!"
max power: "I impress the ladies all the time"
max power: "(in my dreams)"
Agent (Vicki): ": )"
Agent (Vicki): "Have a great night and thanks for visiting the Crutchfield web site. It was nice chatting with you."

Silver Member
Username: Thumpinwith8s

2 RE8s,PG Xenon 400.1, 135.5dbs!!!!

Post Number: 908
ok, who is this? someone's got to b messing us around

Gold Member
Username: Basssquared

Kansas

Post Number: 1258
ok you guys cought me it was me :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Yes, it was definitely him :-). You cought him.

Silver Member
Username: M0nkeyman692

Post Number: 328
hahahahahahah this is definitely the funniest thread ive read. and its completely relevant to car audio hahahaha

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Im just light up my......

Post Number: 2807
HAHAHA... Dude is hilarious...

Gold Member
Username: Johnfiac

A-ToWn, 9515 thumpin... What u bumpin?

Post Number: 3501
This thread ihas been a joke from the 2nd response he gave

Gold Member

Post Number: 4822
It was a pretty good thread in the end.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I am shocked and appalled to witness the slow spread of cancerous doubt into the heart of so many of the brave young men and lezbians on this board.

My name was sullied, my naive eagerness mistaken for cold machiavelian deceit, my very own existence, all these years of my life, my mother's love, the joys and pains of childhood and my metamorphosis into a responsible, civic-minded adult with friends, hidden hurts, lovers and orange juice...all this was denied, disbelieved. I find myself exiled to the realm of imaginary creatures, keeping company to bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster.

ENOUGH!
ENOUGH I SAY! THERE WILL BE NO MORE DOUBT! NO MORE UNCERTAINTY! NO MORE CARELESS ATTEMPTS AT ERASING ME FROM EXISTENCE!

I can see clearly now. This is a case of "Pic or it didn't happen". Very well you filthy, soulless scavengers. Have your picture! May you enjoy it while you rot in Beelzebub's orange juice hell*.

Upload

*Orange juice hell is where all orange juice is room temperature and has more pulp than actual juice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4844
Damn,why didn't you listen?Polk car audio speakers suck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 315
gozu, you make me laugh so much
nice stuff you got there
try installing it youreslf, it will be fun

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
On a more serious note, I should get most of the remaining stuff I bought today. Hopefully, I'll have everything by tomorrow.

Since this is my first install and I do not plan on paying a professional to install everything, I could use some tips (Especially from owners of Accords from 2003 - 2007).

1- How much work is involved in mounting the tweeters? Will they fit in the stock tweeter locations?

2- Do I need to make any non-reversible changes to the car and if so, how much? (Drilling, cutting and so forth)

3- I have 0-guauge cable. Is the thickness of it going to be an issue? Someone I spoke to seemed to think so.

4- Cable management and positionning of the Amp, HD Tuner, Crossover boxes and iPod cable are all up in the air right now. I would really appreciate shrewd* advice.

*If you don't have any shrewd advice, feel free to give bad advice instead. Advice is advice eh? Am I right? Am I right? No? Well F-U!

Rob: I did listen. To the speakers. In the listening room. At the store. And I liked them. But the fact is, as I explained in my first post, I had already ordered and paid for the speakers before I posted here and thus, though I read your negative comment about them, all I could do was weep in dismay and reach for that heroin syringe. Thanks to you, I've become addicted again, after several hours of being sober and clean. Thanks a lot pal.

Silver Member
Username: B3n07

Louisville, Ky USA

Post Number: 295
hey gozu dont listen to these people ok they can be haters when the want to but they can hlp you out when you need it. Just like they said when they heard i was running nothing but pyle in my doors and deck was thoese speakers suck just cuz i didnt run out and by the top of the line rainbows you can make any speaker sound good and my video will be coming soon to back up my words with my pyles it proves what rovin says you dont need that name brand crapt to get a good number

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 1633
1/0 might be tough to run because yes it is pretty thick but you should be able to manage....

if YOU liked the speakers, that's what counts man, they dont have to be the best....btw, ive heard polk momos and they sounded nice...

for the crossovers, it might be easier to put em in the door panels...for me i mounted em in the trunk and ran new speaker wire, but it was a b!tch

if you can fit the tweeters in the stock location, go for it, but if not cut a small hole (start small and go bigger) for it and then use the flushmount part to put em in the door....

Silver Member
Username: Dannyboyy

Peterborough, NH USA

Post Number: 419
ya gozu if you liked the sound thats all that matters like cal said. not everyone can afford the best. I have also heard momos and they didnt sound too shabby to me. and btw FUNNIEST THREAD EVER!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us