2 Kicker Comp cvr12's and Boss IQ400.4 - Ohm load//Wiring issues

Username: Propergee

Modesto, CA

Post Number: 1
Ok - so I have 2 CVR12's and a IQ400.4 in mind for my system...

- my first question is how much power will this Boss amp really put out over 4ch, each at 4ohms?

- Here are the confusing specs from an eBay ad on the amp:
RMS power, 4 ohm == 210w x 4
Max power, 2 ohm == 400w x 4
Bridged power, 4 ohm == 800w x 2
That doesn't make sense to me at all :/

- I'm also wondering if I should I buy the 2 Ohm DVC version or the 4 Ohm DVC subs? Is it a matter of preference? and how will the difference between 2 and 4 Ohms affect the sound quality and loudness?

- When I go to hook up these subs to the amp will I need to use different wiring setups depending on the Ohm-age? If so, some tips would be awesome.

You guys are the greatest. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 62
The subs ohm rating is more for wiring flexibility than anything. I'd go for 2+2 if you plan a sub amp (highly recommended than the Boss) or 4+4 if you plan a 2 channel. Not trying to be mean, Boss amps are crap, though, and really probably won't put out half of what they say they will. No, none of it sounds right, the 2 ohm peak is less than half of the 4 ohm RMS (really weird saying that these amps are quick to proudly display an overrated, insanely high peak on the cover), the bridged should be more than that if it truly was a high current amp (which it's not). Really, a JBL 600.1 will put out more than the Boss will. less than 200 online, a JBL 1200.1 will destroy the boss amp, it's less than 300 online, but too much for 2 CVRs. I'd get the 600.1

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 63
Oh, if you do get the 4 channel, 2+2 if you want to run each channel bridged.

Username: Propergee

Modesto, CA

Post Number: 2
So even though the 2 CVR's have two 4Ohm voice coils a piece, a 600.1 is enough? Doesn't having two 400watt max coils on each sub mean I should have 2*2*400watts max, or 1600watts total?

I realize the Boss is a POS but in theory shouldn't I try to find at least a 2 or 4 channel amp that can theoretically put out 1600watts?

Bronze Member
Username: Cainer

Camberley, Surrey England

Post Number: 52
dont get a boss amp kyle you can do much better, make sure the amp you get is a class d monoblock, 1ch is all you need for your subs mate and being class d it wont have the overheating problems you get with others, and it would be more compact

Bronze Member
Username: Jonnyboy420

Post Number: 21
if you have a DVC sub and each VC is 4 ohms. you can wire the single sub in either parralell or series. parralell would make the sub be a 2ohm load. series would make the sub be an 8ohm load.
2ohm DVC series would be 4ohm and parralell would be 1 ohm. most amps are not rated at 1 ohm stable. i don't remember what the ohm ratings are for wiring 2 subs in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us