RD alpha 18" update

Silver Member
Username: Mercsable

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 179
So I ended up choosing the RD alpha 18" like I said earlier, I adjusted it and Im very happy. The only thing I dont get is that I have a 4awg power and ground cable and stock charging system and my lights still down dim when I have the thing up loud. I have it set so it is just before it distorts and it is very loud but still no sign of needing to upgrade. what is the deal? Thats 2000w on a stock escape charging system...seems odd

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 755
are you being sarcastic by saying it sounds odd? because 2000 watts is a lot for stock charging

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 967
What amp do you have?

Gold Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 1071
Ummm 4 gauge wire should have a MAX of a 125 amp fuse attached to it. In which case, it would mean the absolute maximum power you could be driving your sub with would be about 1200rms. The 18" Alpha can handle twice that amount of power. Also, anyting over 1000rms on a stock electrical system and you will usually have some dimming.

I am interested in hearing more about your setup, but as of now I would say you need to get some new wiring.

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 181
i have a hifonics bxi2006 so it should be putting out 2000w. so your saying that theres no way my subs are getting that much power because of the power wire? I just figured it would get the power it would just be dimming.

And I wasnt being sarcastic, I think it really is odd because I assumed it would be dimming like crazy on a stock charging system with 4awg wire.

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Columbus, GA USA

Post Number: 1287
You should really upgrade your wires to 2 gauge, and check the chassis ground as well. Check ALL of your grounds.

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Showrides

Hartford, CT USA

Post Number: 1072
Basically there is no way you could be getting 2000rms to your sub. Like Kevin said, get some bigger wire. Also, that would explain why there isn't any dimming.

Silver Member
Username: Cashby

12 DD 3512

Post Number: 414
and that amp is overrated

Silver Member

Kalamazoo, MI USA

Post Number: 183
alright, I have the 2awg wiring I just havent got around to put it in yet. Ill be doing that probably tomorrow and I see what happens.

Silver Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 385
I wouldn't expect a huge difference. You need to do the big 3 and upgrade your alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Goodie_goop

Mid town, Texas U.S.

Post Number: 764
ohh i thought you meant that its odd there is dimming at all like you think your stock charging should be able to take 2000w no problem...my bad...but ya you should still get a new alternator and definatly upgrade that wiring...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us